Originally Posted by 2112
I already have these;

8.9 to 1 compression
one carb
875 horses at 6250 rpm

Fords
Carb=Old technology

These engines will have the latest EFI.

Wiggler- engines are in development, going out to SEMA to do some market intelligence next week.

Mrhorsepower- I know you build your own engines, was just testing the waters.

Wannabe
Old 10-25-2006, 09:29 AM
Banned

My Boats: all
Default Re: Tunnel Ram Engines

Quote:
Originally Posted by wannabe
Carb=Old technology

Wiggler- engines are in development, going out to SEMA to do some market intelligence next week.

Wannabe
Wannabe,
What is the name of your company/shop? Or do you work for Sterling? Seen your from Milford,Mi.
Old 10-25-2006, 09:34 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by wannabe
Carb=Old technology

Wannabe
Carbs may be "old" technology but if they where such CaveMan technology Prostock wouldn't making the type of power they do. I wouldn't knock carbs. I can make the same power with a carb than EFI for alot less money. We also currently hold the IHRA World's fastest single 4 barrel record out of my shop @ 6.70 @ 207 with a powerglide trans. NO power adder( NOS , blower ect.) all engine. I do agree EFI is nice and I am doing more and more of it but carbs can still make some AWESOME Horsepower. PM Wannabe with some details on your EFI system.
Old 10-25-2006, 01:20 PM
Registered

My Boats: 1984 Chris Cat

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrhorsepower1
Carbs may be "old" technology but if they where such CaveMan technology Prostock wouldn't making the type of power they do. I wouldn't knock carbs. I can make the same power with a carb than EFI for alot less money. We also currently hold the IHRA World's fastest single 4 barrel record out of my shop @ 6.70 @ 207 with a powerglide trans. NO power adder( NOS , blower ect.) all engine. I do agree EFI is nice and I am doing more and more of it but carbs can still make some AWESOME Horsepower. PM Wannabe with some details on your EFI system.
I am not "knocking" carbs, it's just that there is so much more you can do with EFI, knock sensors, etc. in terms of true efficiency of an engine. All without touching a thingwhile running.

Wannabe
Old 10-25-2006, 02:16 PM
Registered

My Boats: 2008 Gunshow

With EFI you have to amortize the expense of development over many units of the same design, i.e. cubic inch, heads, cam, rpm, compression ratio, etc. for it to make economic sense.

Then, there is the per unit expense of computer, sensors, throttle body, etc.

Although you may save fuel (in the future), with EFI you have to pay upfront (now)- so the savings are diminished by the time value of money (TVM).

Then there are difficulties diagnosing problems with an EFI engine (for the guy without the laptop and associated hardware/software). And, more sensors and electronics to fail. When the crank sensor fails........you have to be towed. Although the carb runs slightly sub-optimized it may be more reliable.

Pistons are old technology, V8's are old technology, heads with only 2 valves are old technology. Yes fuel injection is ultimately better from a horsepower, fuel efficiency, idle perspective- but- often carbs serve the purpose just fine.....at a reasonable price.

Now back to tunnel rams with carbs/efi.

Last edited by vtec; 10-26-2006 at 08:58 AM. Reason: to correct spelling
Old 10-25-2006, 02:38 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by vtec
With EFI you have to amortize the expense of development over many units of the same design, i.e. cubic inch, heads, cam, rpm, compression ration, etc. for it to make economic sense.

Then, there is the per unit expense of computer, sensors, throttle body, etc.

Although you may save fuel (in the future), with EFI you have to pay upfront (now)- so the savings are diminished by the time value of money (TVM).

Then there are difficulties diagnosing problems with an EFI engine (for the guy without the laptop and associated hardware/software). And, more sensors and electronics to fail. When the crank sensor fails........you have to be towed. Although the carb runs slightly sub-optimized it may be more reliable.

Pistons are old technology, V8's are old technology, heads with only 2 valves are old technology. Yes fuel injection is ultimately better from a horsepower, fuel efficiency, idle perspective- but- often carbs serve the purpose just fine.....at a reasonable price.

Now back to tunnel rams with carbs/efi.
well placed.
Old 10-27-2006, 04:08 PM
Registered

Here's Wette Vette's 598....picked up 4 mph by going from Single plane 1250 Dominator to Tunnel ram and 2X1050 Dominators over the winter in single engine cat.... How's that for a real world comparison... oh yeah, and the boat accelerates harder just about everywhere (except maybe planing off)
Attached Thumbnails
Tunnel Ram Engines-craigstr.jpg  

Last edited by jdnca1; 10-27-2006 at 04:31 PM.
Old 10-27-2006, 04:32 PM
Rob
VIP Member
Trade Score: (6)

My Boats: Hustler 388

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdnca1
Here's Wette Vette's 598....picked up 4 mph by going from Single plane 1250 Dominator to Tunnel ram and 2X1050 Dominators over the winter with no other changes in single engine cat.... How's that for a real world comparison... oh yeah, and the boat accelerates harder just about everywhere (except maybe planing off)
sounds like it needed more air

Wouldnt if the motor had a lot of blowby the evac going to the aircleaner cause detination with the oil getting in the intake charge?

The Only Time You Have To Much Ammo Is When Your Swimming Or On Fire.
Old 10-27-2006, 04:48 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Strip Poker 388
sounds like it needed more air

Wouldnt if the motor had a lot of blowby the evac going to the aircleaner cause detination with the oil getting in the intake charge?
I've run that system alot and it works well....The key is build one that is sealed!! The best evacuation system I also run alot of is a vacuum pump with a pressure regulator when the customer can afford it. Usually I pull 10-15 inches of vac. on the crankcase. About 30-35 HP gain on average.
Old 10-27-2006, 04:51 PM
Registered

My Boats: 1984 Chris Cat

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrhorsepower1
Wannabe,
What is the name of your company/shop? Or do you work for Sterling? Seen your from Milford,Mi.
The shop is a well known automotive engine development shop (Detroit Area), has done engine development for Ford, GM, DCX, and Asian OEM's. Owner and I are longtime friends. He wants to branch out, has a 510 Ci BBC that puts out 600+ BHP so all the EFI and engine mapping is done. Has a proprietary intake manifold with port injection and I would say this thing is bullet-proof. He has done considerable work on turbos and other forced induction. Leading edge stuff for the automotive industry. We are going to SEMA and will look at whats out there. Will probably decide then if we will build a pair of engines for marine trials. If so we may want to exhibit with a boat Manufacturer having installed them. Or I will buy a resin bucket and put them in.

Wannabe