Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > General Discussion > General Boating Discussion
Great Moments in Cat History >

Great Moments in Cat History

Notices

Great Moments in Cat History

Old 09-26-2001, 08:49 AM
FASTCATS

Hi T2x,

Have you been able to contact Rich, Wake him up! I would like to hear about the inferno.

Hi GJL,

Any ideas about this 40' plugs history, that I have. It was a running plug.

Scott

Old 09-26-2001, 02:40 PM
Charter Member
Charter Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
GJL,

On the tunnel tab your suggested for Dueclaws, would there be any benifit to putting sides on the lower part of the tab? Kind of like a Sprint car wing upside down. Would that help make the tunnel longer and keep the air from spilling out the sides of the tab. Just wondering.

mike
Old 09-26-2001, 06:12 PM
Goody76

Exclamation

T2x - glad to be able to listen to all of the usefull info, I have to introduce myself next time you see my boat a purple and yellow Profile cat that is next door to where you... well you know where! Keep comming with the info my spounge is not full yet!

Old 09-26-2001, 09:17 PM

T2x, I agree with you about the Chris Cats performance. My first ride in a "race" boat was on Maxon, Tim was my girl friends next door neighbor. I would hurry down to her house in Brick each weekend with the hope of a chance to get another ride while they would be dialing it in. That boat was what got me hooked on racing and fast boats. I still can remember "some" announcer at the worlds saying "Team Maxon is so far out in the lead that it's not even funny". Don't remember who that announcer was though???????
Old 09-26-2001, 10:01 PM
Ed
Gold Member
Gold Member

Received 35 Likes on 17 Posts
Wink

T2x...The Mercury T-4 triple-outboard, 36' Carrera Deep-Vee Offshore I rigged back in 1981-82 was definitely the first group of these motors released/rigged on any "Offshore" powerboat. They were 3.4 Litre E.F.I."Offshores".The "Offshores" had one-piece "Offshore" 25" & 20" Mid-sections, with "Offshore" Gearcases that resembled a stock shiftable 300 gearcase...but was not.They incorporated water intake holes in the nose of the gearcase,which fed a water-passage upward to an external side plumbing arrangement, that fed back into the water pump housing through the side of the gearcase, among other special features.These gearcases short-coming's were their "new" low pressure, high volume water pump housings/impellers/o-rings...which Mercury redesigned no less than three times in two years. Speedmaster gearcases were never used on any T-4(or 2.4 Litre Carb or E.F.I.Offshore Motors)on Offshore Vee-Bottoms...But were used later on the Cats, such as Drury's Maelstrom which ran the Kilo's in his class in Wyandotte, Michigan...Up against Butch Ryan in his turbocharged, de-stroked big-block cat "Express"(named after his inherited trucking company..."Express Trucking", out of Detroit.If you were there that day...like I was, it was a very muddy, rainy, overcast day...But the Kilo's continued through it all. This was also the debut of the first 22' Velocity ever built...A black gelcoat twin outboard race-boat by the name of "Tabu". Anyway...the 2.4 Litre Carbureted AND E.F.I."Offshore" motors also used simular gearcase water plumbing. In those days we were working in colaboration with Mercury developing/testing many ideas that never went to market...Such as cutting two cylinders off the top of the existing 122 cu.in.(2 Litre)& 142 cu.in.(2.4 Litre)motors, which resulted in a 60 degree, looper,V-4 motor. "Hydro-Steer" steering assist(as was used on the original 300 H.P.Merc's)tested on prototype 225,200,& 175 H.P.outboards, etc...Not to mention alot of early development E.F.I. material.
Old 09-26-2001, 10:13 PM
Registered

Hey otto was that cat you rode in Tim's wooden one? Just curious.

Ken jr.
Old 09-26-2001, 10:17 PM
T2x
Allergic to Nonsense
Platinum Member

Received 17 Likes on 17 Posts
Ed:

Ah yes..."Flyin Butch Ryan"....now, who named him that, I wonder? As usual you are almost correct and amazingly deep in your experiences. The "exception"..... Mike Drury's Maelstrom was an Open class boat and Butch Ryan's turbocharged cat was a Sport class boat.....therefore they didn't compete against each other. ... but rather for separate class records

As far as the 300 Offshores are concerned the same 3 motors were put on the original Shadow Cat in the spring of 1981 at Oshkosh( first 2 than 3...3 didn't work)....But..they were not T-4's.... The T-4's were first raced the following year on another Shadow and were 15 mph faster.... these used the "football" units I described... not speedmasters...but kind of a cut down version..These were also on Drury's boat the following year as I recall.

But, your answer is intriguing enough to warrant a respectful Ed who????
Old 09-26-2001, 10:17 PM

T2x, Just heard from our mutual friend/engine builder that you came to visit him over the weekend. I'm sure he told you that my engine project is in the final stagers of assembly. You have to stop by when I'm there and let me know what you think of the project so far. Not sure if you were told what our goal for next year is. Thinking of bringing the project to LakeX for dial in sometime in November. What do you think???
Old 09-26-2001, 10:25 PM
T2x
Allergic to Nonsense
Platinum Member

Received 17 Likes on 17 Posts
Otto---No talk about a secret project, but he has a beautiful new home......As far as that announcer you referred to, he seems to have disappeared off the face of the earth....But you never know....

I hear he wishes y'all...."Good racing".
Old 09-26-2001, 10:27 PM

Fiberglass, the black ,yellow and orange boat. It was fuel injected and I believe that it had number IV drives.

Quick Reply: Great Moments in Cat History

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.