Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > General Discussion > General Boating Discussion
Advise on Switching from Cable to Dish >

Advise on Switching from Cable to Dish

Notices

Advise on Switching from Cable to Dish

Old 03-06-2002, 01:04 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

dishnetwork has the 501 box that includes digital video recording. The directTV system is TIVO and I think that requires a monthly fee and the hardware upgrade. Also, I was told that to cross over from 2 TVs to 3 TVs would require a hardware upgrade in addition to the extra STBs.

My big complaint with dig cable was that they kept moving channels FROM the digital region TO the analog region, which decreased the amount of channels that have a better signal. My analog signal is not that good.
Old 03-06-2002, 01:37 PM
Charter Member #943

Frank,

Up until about 6 months ago I was a dealer/installer for DirecTV. I have had a Digital Satellite System (DSS) with DirecTV for the last 8 years and I still have it. So I guess I should provide my $02. As a dealer, for mostly high end users, I would occasionally take a close look at the competition Dish Network, Prime Star and a host of others just to make sure I was offering my customers the best option available. There was never any doubt as to, which was the best system. It was always came back to DirecTV. Just some of the reasons why, service, programming options, cost, ease of use, features, availability of manufactures who build the equipment, stability in the market and the list goes on. DirecTV is owned by Hughes/GM enough said. I currently have the newest DirecTV Plus system, which offers local channels and interactive TV. I have had Cable both standard and digital and trust me once you try DSS you will never go back. With multi-room receivers, local channels, and one of the special Sports networks like the NFL Sunday Ticket your cost will be comparable, but the number of channels, reliability, and quality blows cable away. As mentioned in an all out thunder and lighting storm, when you probably should not be watching TV anyway, you will experience some temporary disruption of signal and I emphasize temporary! When I had cable the disruptions in service were much more frequent and would last hours into days. BOTTOM LINE GO DirecTV!

If you need any additional advice feel free to e-mail me.

Joe
Old 03-06-2002, 06:14 PM

Thanks Everyone for your responses and Joe I am definetly looking in to it more now then ever!
Old 03-07-2002, 09:30 PM
Charter Member #943

Originally posted by Shanghied Again
Thanks Everyone for your responses and Joe I am definetly looking in to it more now then ever!
Your welcome Frank, I don't sell systems anymore so this is not a sales pitch, I meant what I said about DirecTV being the best. My offer stands if you need any help let me know.
Old 03-08-2002, 07:20 PM
Nagivator

We live in the "sticks" No cable no pizza delivery We went with Prime Star several years ago which sold out to Directv . Directv has been sending me literature for a dual dish lately. After buying it and having it installed the monthly access fee is still beyond my limits. Their web site is Direcpc.com if you want to check it out.

Old 03-09-2002, 08:36 AM
Charter Member #232
Charter Member

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

On the bay things have changed a lot in the last few years btwn Direct and Dish. Direct had to rent space on Dishnetworks sats because they can not afford to put a new bird up there. Dish also pays its installers unlike Direct tv that seems to always STIFF me on my activations. I look at it more like this. If you want the NFL ticket and those sports packages then you go with Direct TV. If you want movies or anything else then Dish is better. It also depends on the location you are as the Dish Net. for us has a MUCH higher elevation so we can actually get thier Satelites were the Direct tv often times we can not. Did not mean to confuse the issue just wanted to let ya know there are some difference to consider there.