Like Tree0Likes

Are cats really that dangerous?

Reply
Old 05-09-2008, 03:21 PM
  #161
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Posts: 9,495
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by T2x View Post
Many boneheads have this picture of "Perfect Storm" size waves with sturdy Apaches climbing up the face while burning the raging testorone from the loins of the fearless owner driver...and in truth a similar length cat owner might not try the same water... The reason for that is simple... Cat owners are smart enough not to go out in that sh*t...

That was worth a good laugh.
Chris Sunkin is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2008, 03:34 PM
  #162
Registered
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Posts: 2,067
Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by T2x View Post
Comanche:

.... I knew Ben Kramer pretty well, so I can speak with some first hand knowledge regarding Apache Hulls.

FYI.. at the end of his career, he was totally into cat development. He built the Mike Peters designed John McCall constructed 41 foot Apache cat in 1986, from which the later glass hulls emerged. That same year he commisioned Conquest (my company) to provide him with a completely different Linder Design cat hull (a project cut short by his trip to "camp"). I personally gave him the line drawings for that boat at Marathon in '86.

Not many people know that the four engined 48' aluminum Cougar Superboat, "Eric's Reality", was also commisioned by Ben right before he became a guest of the Federal Hotel System. It is also a fact that there was no real development going on regarding any new designs on the vee bottom side of Apache. So it is clear where even Ben was heading along with anyone else who truly understood (understands) the vast difference between the older Vee technology and the cats. As a matter of fact even Aronow's last designs were cats.... bad ones, but cats nonetheless.

IMHO the 41 Apache is the best rough water vee hull ever designed. Beyond that anything over 40 feet becomes a simple spanning exercise.... 50 feet is better than 40 feet...and 60 feet is better than 50....etc. There is no doubt that a 100 foot monohull is better than a 40 foot cat in the rough water that any 40 footer ordinarily runs in, but can a 40 foot monohull make the same claim? Many boneheads have this picture of "Perfect Storm" size waves with sturdy Apaches climbing up the face while burning the raging testorone from the loins of the fearless owner driver...and in truth a similar length cat owner might not try the same water... The reason for that is simple... Cat owners are smart enough not to go out in that sh*t...

There is no doubt that there are far more vee manufacturers and vee hulls on the water. Vees were introduced almost 20 years before cats and had a heck of a head start. This has created a rather tilted marketing structure based primarily on the obvious numbers and, secondarily, on the better living quarters in most vee hulls versus Cats. The safety, rough water, and speed issues are simply baloney subtly supported by the golf shirt wearing vee bottom marketing types and frequently ill informed barside discussions among vee owners (" I never been in a Cat, but I hear they flip!"). Couple that to the fact that a number of guys with little more than big checkbooks and egos have put themselves into the 120 plus MPH club without any experience or skill set, and most have done this in cats....sometimes too small and sometimes simply too fast.... but too many with disastrous results.....and Voila!.... the insurance companies ran for the hills.

The truth is that this is like comparing a Ferrari and a Lincoln with the argument that far more people get killed in Ferraris at 150 mph than in Lincolns......and then claiming that, based on these "facts", Lincolns handle better at high speed.

This whole issue is, was, and always will be short ( no reference to Reggie implied or intended ) sighted and a haven for subjective thinking.

T2x
Nice Post !
stainless is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2008, 03:39 PM
  #163
T2x
Allergic to Nonsense
Platinum Member
 
T2x's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2001
Location: Granite Quarry, NC
My Boats: 1966 !8' Switzer Wing "Miss Diablo" 1968 Switzer Wing "Dust'n the Wind 2",, 1960 Powercat 15C , 1977 17' Molinari w/Evinrude CCC
Posts: 5,004
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by stainless View Post
Nice Post !
I agree....
T2x is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2008, 05:20 PM
  #164
Registered
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Dallas Ga
My Boats: 35 Fountain Lightning HP525
Posts: 1,126
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by sierraspringsjay View Post
Been in both go-fast hulls and chose a v due to maneuverability, it always seemed like a v could turn easier and more safely than a cat. That accounts for alot on our smaller lakes when you find an idiot running on the wrong side coming around a turn. No doubt a cat could handle the big chop better than my step hull, but I'll beat him in the turns. Just got to hang with them long enough in the straight aways to get to the turns, lol
That is where you are wrong with the proper training a cat will turn harder than a v will ever think about. This is a misconception that a lot of people had including myself until I took the tres martin performance boat school
johnlomant is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2008, 05:21 PM
  #165
Registered
 
Join Date: Nov 2000
Location: NJ
Posts: 560
Default wow

Quote:
Originally Posted by T2x View Post
Comanche:

.... I knew Ben Kramer pretty well, so I can speak with some first hand knowledge regarding Apache Hulls.

FYI.. at the end of his career, he was totally into cat development. He built the Mike Peters designed John McCall constructed 41 foot Apache cat in 1986, from which the later glass hulls emerged. That same year he commisioned Conquest (my company) to provide him with a completely different Linder Design cat hull (a project cut short by his trip to "camp"). I personally gave him the line drawings for that boat at Marathon in '86.

Not many people know that the four engined 48' aluminum Cougar Superboat, "Eric's Reality", was also commisioned by Ben right before he became a guest of the Federal Hotel System. It is also a fact that there was no real development going on regarding any new designs on the vee bottom side of Apache. So it is clear where even Ben was heading along with anyone else who truly understood (understands) the vast difference between the older Vee technology and the cats. As a matter of fact even Aronow's last designs were cats.... bad ones, but cats nonetheless.

IMHO the 41 Apache is the best rough water vee hull ever designed. Beyond that anything over 40 feet becomes a simple spanning exercise.... 50 feet is better than 40 feet...and 60 feet is better than 50....etc. There is no doubt that a 100 foot monohull is better than a 40 foot cat in the rough water that any 40 footer ordinarily runs in, but can a 40 foot monohull make the same claim? Many boneheads have this picture of "Perfect Storm" size waves with sturdy Apaches climbing up the face while burning the raging testorone from the loins of the fearless owner driver...and in truth a similar length cat owner might not try the same water... The reason for that is simple... Cat owners are smart enough not to go out in that sh*t...

There is no doubt that there are far more vee manufacturers and vee hulls on the water. Vees were introduced almost 20 years before cats and had a heck of a head start. This has created a rather tilted marketing structure based primarily on the obvious numbers and, secondarily, on the better living quarters in most vee hulls versus Cats. The safety, rough water, and speed issues are simply baloney subtly supported by the golf shirt wearing vee bottom marketing types and frequently ill informed barside discussions among vee owners (" I never been in a Cat, but I hear they flip!"). Couple that to the fact that a number of guys with little more than big checkbooks and egos have put themselves into the 120 plus MPH club without any experience or skill set, and most have done this in cats....sometimes too small and sometimes simply too fast.... but too many with disastrous results.....and Voila!.... the insurance companies ran for the hills.

The truth is that this is like comparing a Ferrari and a Lincoln with the argument that far more people get killed in Ferraris at 150 mph than in Lincolns......and then claiming that, based on these "facts", Lincolns handle better at high speed.

This whole issue is, was, and always will be short ( no reference to Reggie implied or intended ) sighted and a haven for subjective thinking.

T2x
Oh boy, T2x just sat down and banged out 530 or so words, BTW I do like the way you can work Reggie into almost any conversation. and you are right,, there are many more Ferrari accidents then Lincoln accidents at 150 MPH,,
Philip is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2008, 05:24 PM
  #166
Registered
Platinum Member
 
Comanche3Six's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Posts: 9,273
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by T2x View Post
Comanche:

Many boneheads have this picture of "Perfect Storm" size waves with sturdy Apaches climbing up the face while burning the raging testorone from the loins of the fearless owner driver...and in truth a similar length cat owner might not try the same water... The reason for that is simple... Cat owners are smart enough not to go out in that sh*t...



T2x
They are that smart in NJ. LOL!

Last edited by Comanche3Six; 05-09-2008 at 05:57 PM.
Comanche3Six is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2008, 06:18 PM
  #167
Registered
 
Airpacker's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2001
Location: Aurora Ontario
My Boats: little cat...BIG MOTOR
Posts: 4,008
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by T2x View Post
The truth is that this is like comparing a Ferrari and a Lincoln with the argument that far more people get killed in Ferraris at 150 mph than in Lincolns......and then claiming that, based on these "facts", Lincolns handle better at high speed.
T2x
You're pretty funny for an OLD guy
Airpacker is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2008, 06:42 PM
  #168
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Mansfield, TX
My Boats: 1990 28 Apache SOLD!, 1990 16 Wahoo DC, 1973 40 Kingscraft
Posts: 5,701
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnlomant View Post
That is where you are wrong with the proper training a cat will turn harder than a v will ever think about. This is a misconception that a lot of people had including myself until I took the tres martin performance boat school
I sure would like to see that Thor or yours if you ever find yourself on Texoma. I see your in Dallas. What lake do you boat on?
TexomaPowerboater is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2008, 03:21 AM
  #169
Registered
 
PhantomChaos's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2000
Location: Bell Canyon, CA
My Boats: Formula FASTech 382 Sunseeker Apache 45
Posts: 12,756
Default

T2x.....put away the buggy whip..........geez!!!!!
PhantomChaos is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2008, 09:03 AM
  #170
Registered
 
lake speed's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Dallas, GA
My Boats: 25 eliminator daytona
Posts: 263
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexomaPowerboater View Post
I sure would like to see that Thor or yours if you ever find yourself on Texoma. I see your in Dallas. What lake do you boat on?
Dallas, Georgia. btw the thor turns harder than ANY boat i have aver been on.
lake speed is offline  
Reply With Quote
Reply

Related Topics
Thread
Thread Starter
Forum
Replies
Last Post
Top Banana
Banana Boat
6
01-08-2006 09:10 AM
SLINGSHOT
General Boating Discussion
50
12-04-2003 04:16 PM
BODYSHOT1
Velocity
2
08-21-2002 05:32 PM



Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 02:38 PM.


Copyright 2011 OffShoreOnly. All rights reserved.