Are cats really that dangerous? >

Are cats really that dangerous?

Notices

Are cats really that dangerous?

Old 05-08-2008, 01:18 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by fountain4play
I have mine with them but they typically won't insure a a first time cat owner and you still need to have gone through and passed a course like Tres' offers, which is well worth the investment in my opinion.
How can those of us who didn't own a cat before the "no first-timers" rule came into effect buy a cat? The logic of that rule means that when all the long-time cat owners have died or quit cats will be uninsurable (because all owners will then be first-timers).
Old 05-08-2008, 05:37 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by aex
In the late 80s I ran a 30 Chris Cat . We consistently beat the 41 Apaches , Gigarettes , 12 meters etc . in any water conditions .
Stop by sometime. We'll pop in a couple of my old Needle Nose video tapes and you can watch the Apaches motoring past all the cats in heavy water.
Old 05-08-2008, 06:07 AM
Registered

Originally Posted by Chris Sunkin
Stop by sometime. We'll pop in a couple of my old Needle Nose video tapes and you can watch the Apaches motoring past all the cats in heavy water.
Are you aware that it was T2x who was flying in the helicopter and narrating those old Needle Nose Video tapes ? See what he has to say on this topic in his previous posts !
Old 05-08-2008, 07:08 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by stainless
Are you aware that it was T2x who was flying in the helicopter and narrating those old Needle Nose Video tapes ? See what he has to say on this topic in his previous posts !

Yes, I do. I was at many of those races as well.

Like I said, you can come and watch the tapes. When it was really rough, the big vees were passing cats. Did the cats blow past on the inlet legs of the course- sure.
Old 05-08-2008, 07:28 AM
T2x
Allergic to Nonsense
Platinum Member

Received 17 Likes on 17 Posts

Originally Posted by Chris Sunkin
Yes, I do. I was at many of those races as well.

Like I said, you can come and watch the tapes. When it was really rough, the big vees were passing cats. Did the cats blow past on the inlet legs of the course- sure.
Memories are selective...... but, in truth the 41 Apache with Bobby Saccenti on throttles ran one of the greatest rough water legs ever...as seen all over the web. However, once the Chris Cats, Jaguars and 40' Skaters hit the scene..... things changed dramatically and I have to say the best rough water performance I ever saw.....and I saw a LOT...... was the Spirit of Norway at Ocean City Maryland in small craft warning conditions eating the 46' Apache "Tweets Revenge" for breakfast.

What made that performance such a slam dunk was the fact that the Skater was so much smaller than the Apache.

I also remember the great Bobby Idoni, in Lorne Liebel's Apache CAT....running heads up with Billy Martin in an Aluminum CUV vee bottom (one of the best rough water hulls ever) in stormy seas on Lake MIchigan.

While there may still be a debate in some minds, to me the discussion ended regarding cats and rough water in the early 80's.

The only caveat, I have, regards the West Coast cats, which came on the scene in the early to mid 90's and barrel rolled, stuffed, and slogged there way along, and generally put the progress that other cat builders (Cougars, Shadows, Skaters, Jaguar, etc) made back at least 20 years. and while they fill the pages of our major magazines seemingly every month, they are still the same combination of awkward lines, poor forward entry and faulty aero and hydro dynamics that characterized them from day one.

T2x

Last edited by T2x; 05-08-2008 at 08:20 AM.
Old 05-08-2008, 07:56 AM
Registered

T2x , do you remember the year on that one? (Ocen City, MD) We ran there in 92 with us offshore and it sounds like the same race . Remember the whiplash 28 skater ?
Old 05-08-2008, 08:22 AM
T2x
Allergic to Nonsense
Platinum Member

Originally Posted by stainless
T2x , do you remember the year on that one? (Ocen City, MD) We ran there in 92 with us offshore and it sounds like the same race . Remember the whiplash 28 skater ?
I will check with Darren on the year as he has a mental database that makes me look like a piker........

Of course I remember Whiplash, and if you were out in that huge water in a 28 foot cat, you prove my point even more.

T2x
Old 05-08-2008, 09:40 AM
Registered

Originally Posted by randian
How can those of us who didn't own a cat before the "no first-timers" rule came into effect buy a cat? The logic of that rule means that when all the long-time cat owners have died or quit cats will be uninsurable (because all owners will then be first-timers).
You just have to start small. My first cat was a 18' Mirage Jaguar. Those little boats really make you understand trim, etc. From there HTM, Spectre...
Old 05-08-2008, 09:54 AM
T2x
Allergic to Nonsense
Platinum Member

Originally Posted by randian
Well, if you had bought a Skater when I started urging people to do so, you wouldn't have this problem. Now all of the "Vees are best" crowd....may be stuck with them

T2x........ full of sympathy today.
Old 05-08-2008, 10:16 AM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by T2x
"Vees are best" crowd....may be stuck with them

T2x........ full of sympathy today.
I'm sure that Skater,Nor-tech, Eliminator, DCB and anyone that wants to sell cats appreciate your sympathy to their shrinking market.

Quick Reply: Are cats really that dangerous?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.