Like Tree0Likes

Are cats really that dangerous?

Reply
Old 05-13-2008, 05:22 PM
  #231
T2x
Allergic to Nonsense
Platinum Member
 
T2x's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2001
Location: Granite Quarry, NC
My Boats: 1966 !8' Switzer Wing "Miss Diablo" 1968 Switzer Wing "Dust'n the Wind 2",, 1960 Powercat 15C , 1977 17' Molinari w/Evinrude CCC
Posts: 5,004
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by rlj676 View Post
That's all very reasonable, but for some reason insurance basically refuses to cover a new cat owner even in a 75 mph cat, while willing to write it for a V. That's where I get lost in their logic.
In looking at it objectively, rates are made in office towers based on no real understanding of the hulls or power. EXperience is based on the owners real (or alleged) history. Sadly, the kind of person who buys a 150 mph boat is not necessarily the kind of person who should. IF acats have accidents at speed.....than in the eyes of insurance execs...all cats are bad.

On another note, what is a 75 mph cat? ....

T2x
T2x is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2008, 05:37 PM
  #232
Registered
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: Angola NY
My Boats: HTM SR24
Posts: 396
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by T2x View Post
It will be at Tonawanda......

T2x
Would that be Tonawanda Ny for the Hydroplane races this June?
tbanzer is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2008, 05:44 PM
  #233
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Mansfield, TX
My Boats: 1990 28 Apache SOLD!, 1990 16 Wahoo DC, 1973 40 Kingscraft
Posts: 5,701
Default

Another question for T2X: In regards to trimarans (pretty funny analogy by the way). Is a trimaran (center pod) cat more or less safe than a true cat? Can a trimaran flip more easily than a true cat? Can I assume the true cat is faster than the same size trimaran cat??? Which one is more likely to blow over? Which one will handle the rough better? Which one typically has a better ride, or is there any difference in ride quality? Sorry for all the questions.
TexomaPowerboater is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2008, 06:45 PM
  #234
Charter Member#203
Charter Member
 
Pete B's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2000
Location: Ft.Myers, Fl/ Atlanta, Ga/ Worldwide
My Boats: 98 Scarab 302 Sport
Posts: 12,570
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frequency View Post
It depends, are you standing still or moving? You can turn tighter faster on one leg.

I'm glad we're past the arguing stage. We're into the group hug, slapping each other on the back, remember the good ole' days stage. A question was asked that wasn't answered. Can a cat turn like a vee? I agree totally that a Champ boat will out turn a 47 Apache. What about size for size, weight for weight?

I've never been in a cat and am curious.
These two werent going slow

Pete B is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2008, 07:41 PM
  #235
Charter Mod
Charter Member
 
BLee's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2000
Location: E Dock
My Boats: Cigarette - "90MPH" Edition
Posts: 6,551
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by T2x View Post

On another note, what is a 75 mph cat? ....

T2x




Sweet paint.
BLee is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2008, 08:36 PM
  #236
Registered
 
AIR TIME's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2000
Location: EASTON MA.
My Boats: BAJA OL 650HP/ SABER 28 Gellner unlimited with konrad ace
Posts: 6,281
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnlomant View Post
That is where you are wrong with the proper training a cat will turn harder than a v will ever think about. This is a misconception that a lot of people had including myself until I took the tres martin performance boat school
yes I was in a cat for test runs, and we took some real tight turns with no woble, not like the stepped Vs trhat would have spun out, chit we took a tighter turn than I do on my v hull which I have owned for 18yrs and know when I am turning at my limits. CATS RULE SKATER is top DOG nuff said I'll take a 46 skater over a 20yr old resin bucket 47 in any water well not in a perfect storm wave that I would need a submarine
AIR TIME is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2008, 09:00 PM
  #237
Registered
 
AIR TIME's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2000
Location: EASTON MA.
My Boats: BAJA OL 650HP/ SABER 28 Gellner unlimited with konrad ace
Posts: 6,281
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by dirtlawyer View Post
I could not agree with you more. There will always be this debate, however, because (i) many "v-guys" will never get an opportunity to ride in a cat that is being driven by someone who knows what they are doing; and (ii) even if they do, they will be too proud to admit that a cat hull is better. I switched from v to cat 3 years ago and have not looked back. For performance and ride, at high speeds, the cat is without equal.

As for a v turning harder than a cat, I too used to believe that (even after I had bought my cat) until I had the pleasure of running a 28 Skater stock class outboard with Kirk Dunteman - he taught me how to make that boat do things I didn't believe it would do... and safely at that.
Kirk is a SUPER CLASS THROTTLEMAN boy do I miss him and his dad racing, RIP, tHEY WERE UNBEATABLE TEAM. Cats rule I have been blessed to be in a few cats all race boats and some race Vs for test runs, The best cat so far was a 46 skater and the first ol 37footer for best riding v. the new vs from OL and Reggie will kill a apache from 20yrs ago NEW JERSY has some real rough water just off the coast, hell cape cod they won't even holed a race here anymore its to rough after 02,04,05 boats getting busted up spinning out sinking on after they called the 04 race a 36 ft skate put on a show at over a 100 mph to show the cc made a mistake calling the race. skaters rule and sutphens are next in my book cause I was out in the new boxer sutphen 31 doing 65 to 75 with no troubles at all. So being a v guy a OL GUY a sutphen guy if it was free I would take a 30skater with twin i/o or bigger over any V HULLI have been on and yes I have been some big cigs OLs , sutphens lovem, but a 46 skater is king in my book. art
AIR TIME is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2008, 09:11 PM
  #238
Registered
Platinum Member
 
Comanche3Six's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Posts: 9,273
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by AIR TIME View Post
Cats rule I have been blessed to be in a few cats all race boats and some race Vs for test runs, The best cat so far was a 46 skater and the first ol 37footer for best riding v. the new vs from OL and Reggie will kill a apache from 20yrs ago art
I'll have what he is drinking

Last edited by Comanche3Six; 05-13-2008 at 09:14 PM.
Comanche3Six is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2008, 10:01 PM
  #239
OSO OG
Gold Member
 
DollaBill's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: Blue Martini Hall of Fame
My Boats: Making hot chicks hotter since 2010
Posts: 7,031
Default

one up B.... lol
Attached Images
 
DollaBill is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2008, 10:13 PM
  #240
VIP Member
VIP Member
 
offshoredrillin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: Maryland
My Boats: 00 Cig Tiger,74 Cig 20'
Posts: 10,945
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by T2x View Post
So we have concluded that cats are not inherently more dangerous than vees. In addition they are faster and handle better length for length. So what, then, is the problem?

Simply put, because cats can run faster than vees, comfortably, in most conditions, people who own them tend to spend more time at higher speeds. ( My 28 Skater probably averages 90-100 mph while cruising. No comparable length vee hull can make that claim).

In addition the owners of the most exotic cats don't necessarily have the seat time or experience to handle these speeds on the water and, in truth cats feel like they are going slower than a vee due to the added surface/wave contact and occilations inherent in a mono hull.

More time at higher speeds in a craft which feels slower to an inexperienced driver is not a good recipe for safety and this, IMHO, is the reason that cats have received a bum rap.

The truth is that insurance companies need to concentrate on average speeds of a specific craft...... as well as driver experience at speed........and set rates accordingly. I see no reason why a mega powered, 150 mph, Outer Limits or Fountain Vee should have any lower rate than a 150 mph Skater Cat of similar length. In fact the rates should probably be higher for the vee. On the other hand a 28 foot Pantera with similar power to my 28 Skater should have a lower rate......it simply can't go as fast nor would you want to.

T2x
because insurance isnt covering you to protect you, they are protecting themselves, against you... If I buy the equivalent of a cat on land, say an F430, they are basing their rate on how much it will cost them when it is wrecked, not IF, when...including the replacement cost of the vehicle and any subsequent lawsuits. regardless of wether you drive the speed limits...
offshoredrillin is offline  
Reply With Quote
Reply

Related Topics
Thread
Thread Starter
Forum
Replies
Last Post
Top Banana
Banana Boat
6
01-08-2006 09:10 AM
SLINGSHOT
General Boating Discussion
50
12-04-2003 04:16 PM
BODYSHOT1
Velocity
2
08-21-2002 05:32 PM



Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 10:02 PM.


Copyright 2011 OffShoreOnly. All rights reserved.