Like Tree1Likes

GPS speedo question

Old 04-28-2009, 08:11 AM
Charter Member
Charter Member

My Boats: 1998 32' Active Thunder (Sold)

There are several threads on this topic around. I just had mine fixed. What's the deal, are all the batteries going out within the same time period???
Old 04-28-2009, 08:30 AM
Registered

I think battery last about three years. I have never took the ant apart to see what it looks like. I send in the guage and ant just to make sure its all working when it comes back.
Old 04-28-2009, 08:43 AM
Registered

My Boats: 2003, 29' Fountain Fever w/525 EFI

Here is what I did:

Alright. Took it upon myself to try and fix the battery in the gps receiver/antennae. Unscrewed the white cap which has a small o-ring and teflon tape and took the unit apart by removing three small internal screws. And whaddyaknow, voila, there is a small panasonic battery in the bottom of the unit. Its held in by a couple of tack welds which were easily cut using an exacto knife. Went to Batteries Plus and bought a battery and they tack welded it back in for me, all for the grand total of $3.89. Thats right folks, three dollars and eighty-nine cents. Put the unit back together and it works like a charm. Just a bit of fyi for the do-it yourselfers!!
Old 04-28-2009, 09:02 AM
VIP Member
VIP Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stogie View Post
Here is what I did:

Alright. Took it upon myself to try and fix the battery in the gps receiver/antennae. Unscrewed the white cap which has a small o-ring and teflon tape and took the unit apart by removing three small internal screws. And whaddyaknow, voila, there is a small panasonic battery in the bottom of the unit. Its held in by a couple of tack welds which were easily cut using an exacto knife. Went to Batteries Plus and bought a battery and they tack welded it back in for me, all for the grand total of $3.89. Thats right folks, three dollars and eighty-nine cents. Put the unit back together and it works like a charm. Just a bit of fyi for the do-it yourselfers!!
Sounds like a piece of cake. Thanks
Old 04-28-2009, 09:46 AM
Registered

My Boats: 2004 38 Fountain Lightning

Well, I changed the battery, and yes folks, it's a piece of cake...one thing though...my problem did NOT go away. I checked the battery again using a meter and I have 2.93v across the battery ( it's a 3v Battery) I only left the key on for a minutes in the garage so question: Do I need to wait a while? Does the antenna need to be outside and re-acquirer satellites?
Old 04-28-2009, 11:47 AM
Registered

My Boats: 2003, 29' Fountain Fever w/525 EFI

SeaDated,

Unlike the FM signal from a radio, the GPS unit needs a little more clear "line of sight" to the satellite. According to the manufacturer, it can take as long as 30 minutes to acquire a signal and begin algorithm processing (depending on your area). My unit jumped back up to the 9 positon but only until the signal was acquired, then it began functioning properly. Get it on the water and then try.

Last edited by Stogie; 04-29-2009 at 12:24 PM.
Old 04-28-2009, 12:12 PM
Registered

My Boats: 2004 38 Fountain Lightning

Stogie Thank you for the info. I was going to send it off but I will now install it and give it a try this weekend. I'll let everyone know how it goes. Again, Thanks
Old 04-28-2009, 08:09 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

SeaDated,
I am having the same problem but mine sits at 60MPH which would be the 9 oclock posistion. I have been told the gps can self diagnose the problem. Do I have the same problem as SeaDated?
Old 04-29-2009, 01:23 AM
Charter Member
Charter Member

My Boats: 2001 28 Eliminator Daytona

You can connect the speedo input to the NEMA output of a compatable GPS and do away with the antenna. I have done this a few times using a Garmin handheld with the power/data cable. There are a couple of threads on this.

Just another option.
Old 05-18-2009, 08:21 PM
Gold Member
Gold Member

My Boats: 2017 30 Concept, 300 Verados

Quote:
Originally Posted by rbtnt View Post
You can connect the speedo input to the NEMA output of a compatable GPS and do away with the antenna. I have done this a few times using a Garmin handheld with the power/data cable. There are a couple of threads on this.

Just another option.
Will this still work if the battery is dead?

The gauge has red(+), black(-), and white (signal?)

I have a Garmin 492 GPS. I'm assuming I should connet the NMEA out (blue) to the white wire on the gauge?

Oh, and my speedo came with an extra plug for the antenna that only had a single white wire. So, I was able to rig it without hacking up the harness that goes to the antenna.

Last edited by Dave M; 05-20-2009 at 06:45 AM.