Notices

GEICO vs SBI ???

Old 02-25-2010, 05:05 AM
OSO Content Provider
Commercial Member

Received 49 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by AB From Windsor
WOW!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

That is not good press for Offshore Powerboat Racing. The CBS Morning Shows Public Service Announcement was great and Offshore Powerboat Racing needs more of that type of press.
To the best of my knowledge, Haggin reached into his own pocket to pay for that coverage...

Digital Photography & Video one BYTE at a time !
Old 02-25-2010, 06:02 AM
VIP Member
VIP Member

Received 1,283 Likes on 445 Posts

Originally Posted by MrOffshore
Not meaning to be negative because there are some good people in the marine industry...but for every good person it appears that there are about 10 lurking in the shadows. I was involved in the industry for about 4 years and can't even begin to explain to you how happy I was when I finally parted ways. I met and became friends with a lot of great people...but I also met a lot of people I wouldn't throw a life preserver to. I think you really need to watch your back when dealing with people (not just in this industry)...the nice thing is a public forum like this appears to expose people for who they really are and helps other avoid being the target of less than scrupulous people.

Please note that I didn't pick any sides on this...but apparently someone is wrong here.
you have no idea how true this is!!
Old 02-25-2010, 06:54 AM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by offshoredrillin
you have no idea how true this is!!
Unfortunately I have to agree also.
Steve
Old 02-25-2010, 07:54 AM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 22 Likes on 15 Posts

[QUOTE=SHARKEY-IMAGES;3054688]To the best of my knowledge, Haggin reached into his own pocket to pay for that coverage...[/QUOTE

Tim, I agree, there is no one in Offshore Powerboat Racing that has payed more money out of their pockets, then John Haggin. In fact I truly believe that John has brought Offshore Powerboat Racing to the level of professionalism and has promoting the sport to where it is today and where it is going tomorrow. Without his dedication and financial help to the sport, it wouldn't have moved in the direction that it has. My comment was that it is not the kind of press that is good for the reputation of Offshore and not anything other then that.
Old 02-25-2010, 08:59 AM
Registered

Received 9 Likes on 2 Posts

the real question is... how many other people are out there that are going to jump on this with money lost(if there are any other teams)and make this case stronger?
Old 02-25-2010, 11:31 AM
OSO Content Provider
Commercial Member

Received 49 Likes on 23 Posts

[QUOTE=AB From Windsor;3054748]
Originally Posted by SHARKEY-IMAGES
My comment was that it is not the kind of press that is good for the reputation of Offshore and not anything other then that.
Not good for the reputation of SBI.

Keep in mind, this is Geico "The Company" vs SBI
It is NOT AMF or MGR in the suit.

Their "SPONSOR" has filed suit to get their money back with the breach of contract by SBI.

Digital Photography & Video one BYTE at a time !
Old 02-25-2010, 12:09 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by JPD Motorsports
the real question is... how many other people are out there that are going to jump on this with money lost(if there are any other teams)and make this case stronger?
Exactly! Im sure there are teams that came to race, and have aquired some kind of sponsorship due to the announcement of tv. Without TV, I'll bet they're asking for their money back. As they should. I know I would be upset if I secured sponsorship based on a promise of TV coverage, and then there was none.
Old 02-25-2010, 03:03 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 67 Likes on 31 Posts

Originally Posted by BRUCE SEROFF
Exactly! Im sure there are teams that came to race, and have aquired some kind of sponsorship due to the announcement of tv. Without TV, I'll bet they're asking for their money back. As they should. I know I would be upset if I secured sponsorship based on a promise of TV coverage, and then there was none.
Wow...thats f@#ked up....I hadn't thought about it that way.....not only were the current sponsors screwed but why would any potential sponsor even consider offshore racing with that kind of track record of not delivering?...this in not only a blow to SBI but to all offshore racing organizations
Old 02-25-2010, 04:11 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by BRUCE SEROFF
That's bad enough. In this situation, it seems that Team Geico paid to help get the TV airtime. This would've benefited every team. But the money never found it's way to the proper place. We're all still learning more about the situation, but all of us got excited when the CBS Sports deal was announced. Then we all got blue-balled when nothing hit the air.

Many boats had CBS Sports labels on them, but the lawsuits claims, SBI and the C's never actually lived up to their side of the bargain.

I'm glad Team Geico is pursuing this route. We could see a revolutionary change in the racing circuit structure and finally, some real TV coverage that will help all teams attract more sponsors.
Old 02-25-2010, 06:18 PM
Registered

Received 10 Likes on 4 Posts

John, Scotty and Marc have done more for this sport in the few years that GEICO has sponsored them than anyone else I can remember........they are the ultimate race ambassadors.....

BUT, remember, even before having GEICO, John put up his own money, BIG TIME, not only for his team, but for all of us racers, our friends, families, sponsors and fans..........there wasn't a person on any of the race sites that wasn't welcomed, fed and given absolute, unconditional hospitality by John and his group........and there was never a racer in need of a part if John had it in his trucks..........and John has never asked for anything in return from anyone, other than a hug and a high five..........when he came on the scene, the whole game changed, for the better...........I am proud to know him....SBI will miss MIss GEICO.....

....and yes, I switched the carrier for all my toys to GEICO........

Last edited by thedonz; 02-25-2010 at 06:21 PM.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.