Thad Allen's Apache + The Birth of the Cheetah Cat

Notices

Thad Allen's Apache + The Birth of the Cheetah Cat

Old 11-25-2012, 07:12 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by POWERPLAY J
Cool rendering. Will one be built? Or was the idea scrapped?
There are no renderings of the 12 Model , it had a lot of unique features , maybe one day I will build one .
Old 11-25-2012, 07:26 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Steve 1
There are no renderings of the 12 Model , it had a lot of unique features , maybe one day I will build one .
I meant the drawing posted. Made it to page 25. Finish the rest tomorrow. Great read! Thanks.
Old 11-25-2012, 07:55 PM
aex
Registered

Received 9 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Bigyellowcat
here is a drawing
That would be a unique boat .
Definitely different from the rest .
Old 11-25-2012, 08:05 PM
Registered

Received 64 Likes on 26 Posts

Originally Posted by aex
That would be a unique boat .
Definitely different from the rest .
I think steve drew that around 10 years ago. I dont think if he did it today it would look like that.
Old 11-26-2012, 04:27 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

What I have been thinking lately is to say Pull the 200 HP outboards off of this Cheetahcat : http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h1csGLgX4tk&feature=plcp and instead using a pair of 2JZ Toyota Supra Motors , they fit the sponson , are Light and make Big power , The Arneson 6’s are light also so the weight tradeoff is small but trading say 400 HP for 2000 is a biggie . The weight is under 5K and build the boat around 38 feet .

Last edited by Steve 1; 11-26-2012 at 04:30 PM.
Old 11-26-2012, 07:28 PM
aex
Registered

Received 9 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Steve 1
What I have been thinking lately is to say Pull the 200 HP outboards off of this Cheetahcat : http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h1csGLgX4tk&feature=plcp and instead using a pair of 2JZ Toyota Supra Motors , they fit the sponson , are Light and make Big power , The Arneson 6’s are light also so the weight tradeoff is small but trading say 400 HP for 2000 is a biggie . The weight is under 5K and build the boat around 38 feet .
Don't tempt me .
In the early 90's I designed and built my own 28' cat and also built a Chris Cat derivative 31' than ran 152 out of the box on the limiters . You see I'm also a proponent of super light boats but with no experience in these matters I went to the Virginia Beach Grand Prix and busted the 31' . Fortunately my business plan included a line of small boats I sold many of and was able to sell the company without taking a huge bath .
I (we) can build anything , Supra Turbo no problem but I'd prefer turbo LS3 engines . My turbo Camaro is silly fast and will eat any of my exotics past and present for a snack . The engine is probably heavier but also inexpensive to build and very reliable . Unfortunately I think to run super cat or superboat or whatever class they dream up you gotta have big blocks , a bigger sponson , more weight and more wetted surface . I'm sure you can figure it out .
Maybe a pod in the tunnel could help .
( relax just kidding )

Last edited by aex; 11-26-2012 at 07:36 PM.
Old 11-27-2012, 12:13 PM
Registered

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by aex
Don't tempt me .
In the early 90's I designed and built my own 28' cat and also built a Chris Cat derivative 31' than ran 152 out of the box on the limiters . You see I'm also a proponent of super light boats but with no experience in these matters I went to the Virginia Beach Grand Prix and busted the 31' . Fortunately my business plan included a line of small boats I sold many of and was able to sell the company without taking a huge bath .
I (we) can build anything , Supra Turbo no problem but I'd prefer turbo LS3 engines . My turbo Camaro is silly fast and will eat any of my exotics past and present for a snack . The engine is probably heavier but also inexpensive to build and very reliable . Unfortunately I think to run super cat or superboat or whatever class they dream up you gotta have big blocks , a bigger sponson , more weight and more wetted surface . I'm sure you can figure it out .
Maybe a pod in the tunnel could help .
( relax just kidding )
Yeah, Big Blocks, deck height and 9500lb minimum just to mention a few.
Old 11-27-2012, 02:31 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

I am well aware of the LS motors , ( I started a thread on them ) but in trying to keep the boat under 5000 pounds , The 2JZ is my best option in this case , number of reasons first , They have a tough bottom end , Second is Mass they weigh about the same - nothing , Third those motors will disappear in the sponson , Fourth they are plentiful and cheap .

The Cheetahcats are and always have been built moldless so dimension wise , no big deal .

But adding Weight IS , The inertias aside , Damage is Done , the water profiling (deeper track ) slower righting arm/moment ETC , granted this is partially overcome with more power but that Mass is still there .

Looking at the boat running with the 200 OB's then say change them for a pair of 1000 HP engines , the top speed is very respectful by any calculation ..
Old 08-01-2013, 05:33 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default One Step At a Time

Jeez Steve, I remember thinking, why would anyone want to build catamarans? They are such a pain compared to V bottoms.
After a 19' cat, then the 22' cat we made a 27' cat. I guess I am taking it one step at a time :-) Pun intended as you may see if you look closely.

Its not 1100 lbs like the Cheetah., but its not bad.
Old 08-01-2013, 05:53 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Jim , Nice looking well done Boats , http://compmillennia.com/index.php/cat-6-7a/

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.