Skater 30 / ILMOR Indy Upgrade >

Skater 30 / ILMOR Indy Upgrade

Notices

Skater 30 / ILMOR Indy Upgrade

Old 07-23-2010, 09:38 AM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Catmando
Ian Hawkins said only 4hp parasitic loss.
Whatever it is its astonishingly low.

a # 6 takes between 80 & 100 HP to turn
Ive seen bravo #'s around 40-55
NXT is probably at or better than a bravo- maybe not.

The indy can hold power in between an nxt and a 6 and is like half the weight of a 6 to boot. That #6 is like clamping a collapsing star on the back of your boat.

The indy... Ive seen from 14-24 hp loss quoted
4 would be just incredible.

Sooo.... heres the thing- Dustin Whipple has been testing merc 6 & 700's and says they simply dont meet the HP spec out of the box the last 700 was like 30 HP down in stock form.

Take these few ponies down- take another 20-40 hp off the engine with the parasitic drive loss- then take another 150-200 pounds off each assembly because of the aluminum blocks and lighter indy and the ilmor package has a serious advantage in both weight and net HP to the props.

At approximately 1 mph for each 20hp - do the math Nascat

Like I said Nascats rig is going to be f-ing rocket ship, and able to run down just about anything. A 725 27 daytona with indies goes like 155- ridonkulous. I dont want to make any predictions but Nascats rig is going to be absolutely epic.

Everything but turbines are gonna be looking at the ass of that setup from now on.

Add all these details up- then add in the running efficiency, and mileage and historical reliability. (some dude has like 600 hours now with nothing but fluid changes)

- he's got damm near the ideal rig.

All I need to know now is if Nascat has a sister?

Come on- dont forget about your friends here buddy!

Uncle Dave
Old 07-23-2010, 11:09 PM
Registered

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

UD

You are hilarious. If 135mph becomes 140mph great but I'm really not expecting much more out of it. I don't really care about top speed much anymore just to have enough margin between top speed & cruising speed to be able to run 100-110 w/o killing it & I think I'm good there. Previously 100mph was the sweet spot cruising speed. Boat just took a set & was on rails.

Sorry to disappoiont no sister!

More pics to follow early next week. Making good progress these days!
Old 07-23-2010, 11:44 PM
Registered

Received 151 Likes on 65 Posts

Originally Posted by NASCAT
UD

You are hilarious. If 135mph becomes 140mph great but I'm really not expecting much more out of it. I don't really care about top speed much anymore just to have enough margin between top speed & cruising speed to be able to run 100-110 w/o killing it & I think I'm good there. Previously 100mph was the sweet spot cruising speed. Boat just took a set & was on rails.

Sorry to disappoiont no sister!

More pics to follow early next week. Making good progress these days!

Guess you dont want my crew member suggestion.
Old 07-24-2010, 12:18 AM
Registered

Totally phat ride.

I always wanted a big cat-
You hear that....thats the sound of envy typing. (and I have a f-ing cool boat)

I hear you on the top speed thing- not because Im even remotely in your league- but because I run in the ocean a lot and I run out of length and livable water before I run out of power. I seldom see 80 to Catalina out of my total comparatively paltry 91mph it's just too rough and midrange bursts are almost as fun as top speed for me.

I found another mph by removing the arch- but radar = safety.
I cross the port of long beach the shipping lanes every time Im out, and I always have patchy fog.
Plus Im not gonna lie to you, Im gonna be honest - from time to time my group will do a little drinking,
I dont do drunken boating, which means occasionally I need to come back at night.
A good couple of hours in the "stabin cabin" after a "bar tour" - and Im good to go.

The only captain with better situational awareness than me is captain f-ing KirK.

Indies - I guess I look at it as follows...

I, like you, I burned through a gear set at 54 hours (teague platinum is nearly identical to Imco SC)
Its sound logic to figure if its 5K to do the upper and lower on my rig its about that for yours- per drive.

Maybe you can get a full rebuild a bit cheaper than I can - but thats the teague price and I know its done right (but not cheap)
Ocean is rougher than lakes- when I lake boat I get longer gear life.

I do between 50 & 100 hours a season- not sure about you.

This rebuild cost pushes your hourly rate off the chart, plus the problem of never knowing if one will pop

The indys will likely never need rebuilding or if they do it'll be a long interval maybe 900-1000 hours or possibly only oil changes.
A 5 MPH pickup with the same HP is huge. Im really curious to see if you can get that. Racers pay huuuge money for 5 mph.
It also makes the Ilmor package faster than the Merc/NXT package with better mileage and no blowers.

You gotta give me a ride in that thing sometime- dont make me beg man.

BTW:you didnt rule out an eligible daughter- my mom and my 3rd grade teacher can give excellent references.....

UD
Attached Thumbnails Skater 30 / ILMOR Indy Upgrade-dsc00374.jpg   Skater 30 / ILMOR Indy Upgrade-dsc00382.jpg  

Last edited by Uncle Dave; 07-24-2010 at 04:33 PM. Reason: spelling
Old 07-24-2010, 01:03 AM
Registered

Received 151 Likes on 65 Posts

Mike have a daughter??? I dont believe so, if he does she certainly isnt of age.
Old 07-24-2010, 12:29 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Uncle Dave
Whatever it is its astonishingly low.

a # 6 takes between 80 & 100 HP to turn
Ive seen bravo #'s around 40-55
NXT is probably at or better than a bravo- maybe not.

The indy can hold power in between an nxt and a 6 and is like half the weight of a 6 to boot. That #6 is like clamping a collapsing star on the back of your boat.

The indy... Ive seen from 14-24 hp loss quoted
4 would be just incredible.

Sooo.... heres the thing- Dustin Whipple has been testing merc 6 & 700's and says they simply dont meet the HP spec out of the box the last 700 was like 30 HP down in stock form.

Take these few ponies down- take another 20-40 hp off the engine with the parasitic drive loss- then take another 150-200 pounds off each assembly because of the aluminum blocks and lighter indy and the ilmor package has a serious advantage in both weight and net HP to the props.
These are gears and shafts and bearings turning corners. Let's see data, not opinion. I ani't buyin' it. And Dustin is an independent voice with an objective opinion?
Old 07-24-2010, 04:02 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by FasterFaster
These are gears and shafts and bearings turning corners. Let's see data, not opinion. I ani't buyin' it. And Dustin is an independent voice with an objective opinion?

Actually I do have data. (well its ilmors data not mine)

http://www.powerboatmag.com/ilmor-ma...ern-drive.html

http://www.bigbadboat.com/2009/02/il...premieres.html

The ilmor uses many design features to accomplish this reduction in parasitic loss- its not magic its modern design and metallurgy combined with money

As for engines - never heard of you chief, heres a newsflash- Dustin may be independent but is vastly more credible than you and has very few peers in the engine building department, so unless your the worlds best kept secret <doubt it>
I dont see how anything that comes out of your mouth counts for anything but your own lone opinion as well.

Several guys have documented the merc # directly from their boats to his dyno in person.
An interesting note though is that he says all the Teague engines he's dynod have been over spec.

Let the magic fly from your fingertips and do your own f-ing homework at least a tiny bit before calling BS on me.

Lets see your data now.

Uncle Dave
Attached Thumbnails Skater 30 / ILMOR Indy Upgrade-survey_stfu.jpg  

Last edited by Uncle Dave; 07-24-2010 at 06:35 PM. Reason: spelling
Old 07-24-2010, 06:51 PM
Registered

"Originally Posted by Whipple Charged
What in the world does a Kilo record have to do with a TCM800EFI?

The fact of the matter is extremely simple, and I can back it up 100%. The TCM800 EFI, as it is shipped makes well over 800HP in standard correction, which Sterling and all other custom engine mfg's use (industry standard). Some can vary that number and make they're own correction factor, but using Superflow's, which takes baro, temp, humidity reading shows this motor makes a consistent 850hp. I know this because I just spent 1 full week on the dyno, and nearly 100 runs on one and never did it make less than 800, not even close. In fact, it makes 820-830 SAE HP which is what OEM's are suppose to use, such as Mercury Marine.

Now lets talk about Mercury Marine. I just spent 3 weeks with a 600SCI and 1 week with a 700SCI on the dyno. Standard correction factors, the best runs for the 600SCI was 580HP. The best for the 700SCI, 669HP. I do have to give it to Merc though, the 525 consistently makes 545HP. SAE numbers fall far below except for the 525 EFI.

So, when talking about numbers, some may fudge, some may not run on good dyno's, etc, but I know for a fact that the TCM 800 is understated on power, as is the TCM 900. Both make consistently 25-50HP more than advertised.

Dustin Whipple"

Curious what your experience in the dyno room or anywhere else shows.

So Ive gotten 3 independent data points to back my post now, and you've supplied about as much useful info as the Apache Chief character in the super-friends.

Uncle Dave
Old 07-24-2010, 09:45 PM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Hurry up and get that thing back. He's 7 days old. His first ride needs to be in a Skater.

http://www.performance-images.com/Powerboats
Old 07-24-2010, 11:18 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by Catmando
Ian Hawkins said only 4hp parasitic loss.
Thats transmission loss. Total loss with drive is around 30hp

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.