Best Single Engine Cat Design

Notices

Best Single Engine Cat Design

Old 02-24-2011, 11:15 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by kap328
Comment:

Nope they have pods not very big but they have them. The 26 Awesome is not in production....at least not lately. It might be wrong though sometimes production occurs for certain customers.

From an engineering stand point you need the pod to set the motor down into it and bolt the drive on. The Ocean Express cat has a small pod but the engine is mounted super high not a good idea IMO. If it were a true tunnel and you installed the engine in the center of the tunnel the motor would be a huge air dam behind you and the CG would be dangerous if not stupid high....and scary in turns.

KAP
True but the pods were not deep enough to function like true center pod boats in relation to handling. If the pod isn't touching the water once the boat is on plane the benefits of the pod won't be realized. I think it was powerboat mag that tested a 26 awesome & the review wasn't flattering.
Old 02-24-2011, 11:23 AM
Registered

Originally Posted by vette131
True but the pods were not deep enough to function like true center pod boats in relation to handling. If the pod isn't touching the water once the boat is on plane the benefits of the pod won't be realized. I think it was powerboat mag that tested a 26 awesome & the review wasn't flattering.
I dont have any experience in driving a pod cat.. I have looked at AO and awesome.. Build quality was better on the AO , but still not that good.. There were a pair of talons from pa that ran the deleware river.. both were very fast but couldn't handle it when the water got bad. 2- 3 fters.. Have never heard anything bad about RPM.. I just dont think that a pod cat would handle the water I run in, Atleast at any respectable speeds.
Old 02-24-2011, 03:28 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by Baja555
I dont have any experience in driving a pod cat.. I have looked at AO and awesome.. Build quality was better on the AO , but still not that good.. There were a pair of talons from pa that ran the deleware river.. both were very fast but couldn't handle it when the water got bad. 2- 3 fters.. Have never heard anything bad about RPM.. I just dont think that a pod cat would handle the water I run in, Atleast at any respectable speeds.
Comment:
Well it kinda comes down to nads and experience. The Norway guys who bought the [orange] RPM in the advertisements. Well they run that boat in some incredible water 9+ feet I believe there is a video of the boat running up the swells as it disappears and then up the other side.

They were in some kinda race evidently following a Nortech in some crazy azz water. I will tell you from my perspective no thanks....but they didn't think anything about it. Guess when you boat in the North Atlantic everyday it's kinda fun with a tiny boat.

So I really don't believe in that myth of pod boats not being able to do this or that!

KAP
Old 02-24-2011, 03:39 PM
Registered

anytime your in conditions bigger than you should be in you need BIG nads... I want a boat that I am confident will bring me home safe...I want solid handling no quirky traits and a solid build quality
Old 02-24-2011, 03:43 PM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

From an engineering stand point you need the pod to set the motor down into it and bolt the drive on. The Ocean Express cat has a small pod but the engine is mounted super high not a good idea IMO. If it were a true tunnel and you installed the engine in the center of the tunnel the motor would be a huge air dam behind you and the CG would be dangerous if not stupid high....and scary in turns. kap328

I had not heard of an engine height issue before, but I can see it now. Thanks kap for opening another window on single engine cat design.
Old 02-24-2011, 04:07 PM
Registered

the 30 cobra is a true single engine cat.. Its a copy of a shadow.. they had some success racing.. no problems with the motor being over the tunnel.. had issues with getting the right X dimension but they handled no worse than the chris cats and shaows and all of the copies of each..
Old 02-24-2011, 04:53 PM
Driver-441
Racer

Received 1,074 Likes on 283 Posts

there was talk of a single bb 28 Skater withr a #6 drive in the skater section a while back. Thats what id get
Old 02-25-2011, 09:17 AM
Registered

Originally Posted by fast fun 2
there was talk of a single bb 28 Skater withr a #6 drive in the skater section a while back. Thats what id get
There was 1 built . must not have worked out well...
Old 02-27-2011, 06:17 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by vette131
I rode in a NA 700HP Awesome 26 and was puzzled by the overall ride. It as a single engine (true tunnel) cat and it had some weird handling issues. It didn't plane well and leaned severely port or starboard side (I can't remember which direction) at slower planing speeds. In the mid range it had a pronounced porpose and at WOT it felt great. It was by far my most interesting boat ride I've ever experienced.
Old 02-28-2011, 08:26 AM
Registered

Originally Posted by GoingForBroke
I rode in a NA 700HP Awesome 26 and was puzzled by the overall ride. It as a single engine (true tunnel) cat and it had some weird handling issues. It didn't plane well and leaned severely port or starboard side (I can't remember which direction) at slower planing speeds. In the mid range it had a pronounced porpose and at WOT it felt great. It was by far my most interesting boat ride I've ever experienced.
that would be a very poor design..

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.