Like Tree0Likes

Just got back from the nyc poker run

Old 06-17-2002, 12:52 PM
Registered

My Boats: 2009 FORMULA 292
Unhappy Was it worth the $500?

As much as I enjoyed the run and meeting so many new people and seeing so many old friends, we have been asking ourselves was it worth it? We had a blast and really enjoyed ourselves so plese do not misunderstand.

Here's why. First off, I bought 4 extra dinner tickets both for Friday and Saturday. We did not attend Friday nights festivities on account of the weather. Not anyone's fault and our decision. However, at $35 a head for additional tickets to the party on Saturday, with only hot dogs, hamburgers, corn and not enough salad, that seems to be a bit pricey to me. Also, we had to pay to launch and park, and there was not adequate parking at the docks(the launch ramp was a mile+ away, to far to walk). Anyone who parked in the grass where they were told to park were either STUCK, (the towing companies made out BIG TIME pulling big rigs etc. without boat on the trailers) had MUD all over their boats and trucks, or were harrassed by the park police for parking on the road. When the cop told me I couldn't park along the road on an apron, therefore NOT blocking traffic or in a driving lane, I asked him where I should park, I would be happy to move. He said in the grass like those people. I said if you will pay the towing bill NO PROBLEM!

With a purse of just $5,000 and an entry fee of $500, having to pay for parking and launching, and serving hot dogs and hamburgers and charging an extra $35 a head for anyone other than the 2 people in the boat, I just think you do not get a good value for your dollar. I think next year, I will do what many other members did and just run with the group and not enter.

Just goes to show you...there is no better organization of people, boats, and value than the NJPPC!!!!

Last edited by Shane; 06-17-2002 at 12:57 PM.
Old 06-17-2002, 01:04 PM
OSO Content Provider
Commercial Member

The Good Stuff was on the LINSSEN YACHT . It's a shame it never came out of the fridge. Jen? What did you do with all that shrimp???

Digital Photography & Video one BYTE at a time !
Old 06-17-2002, 01:10 PM
Registered

SHARKY,
I spent Thurs.-Sun in Manhattan/Jersey. I had no idea the pokerrun was going on until this morning when I read about it here. My question is were you on the GWB Sunday about 6:00pm. I passed a white? pickup, possibly a deisel, pulling a small boat. I did not pay much attention but pictures from your website did come to mind. Was it you?
Old 06-17-2002, 01:37 PM
OSO Content Provider
Commercial Member

Nope, wasn't me. I was on the couch trying to recover from Saturday... It's always worse a day or so later... but it is worth it...
CFD12, you have to visit more often. I try to get the word out on upcoming events. Next run is with NJPPC, June 29th

Digital Photography & Video one BYTE at a time !

Last edited by SHARKEY-IMAGES; 06-17-2002 at 01:39 PM.
Old 06-17-2002, 01:43 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

My Boats: fast boats

Hey Jennifer, good pics, but you spelled my last name wrong!!!

Marcus

P.S. David and I are still waiting to see the twins!!!

Thanks again for the shrimp!
Old 06-17-2002, 02:49 PM
Registered

My Boats: 2005 288 SUNSATION
Default Shane, I think this was what I was trying to say....

Here...

http://offshoreonly.com/forum/showth...threadid=24367

Quote:
Originally posted by Shane
As much as I enjoyed the run and meeting so many new people and seeing so many old friends, we have been asking ourselves was it worth it? We had a blast and really enjoyed ourselves so plese do not misunderstand.

Here's why. First off, I bought 4 extra dinner tickets both for Friday and Saturday. We did not attend Friday nights festivities on account of the weather. Not anyone's fault and our decision. However, at $35 a head for additional tickets to the party on Saturday, with only hot dogs, hamburgers, corn and not enough salad, that seems to be a bit pricey to me. Also, we had to pay to launch and park, and there was not adequate parking at the docks(the launch ramp was a mile+ away, to far to walk). Anyone who parked in the grass where they were told to park were either STUCK, (the towing companies made out BIG TIME pulling big rigs etc. without boat on the trailers) had MUD all over their boats and trucks, or were harrassed by the park police for parking on the road. When the cop told me I couldn't park along the road on an apron, therefore NOT blocking traffic or in a driving lane, I asked him where I should park, I would be happy to move. He said in the grass like those people. I said if you will pay the towing bill NO PROBLEM!

With a purse of just $5,000 and an entry fee of $500, having to pay for parking and launching, and serving hot dogs and hamburgers and charging an extra $35 a head for anyone other than the 2 people in the boat, I just think you do not get a good value for your dollar. I think next year, I will do what many other members did and just run with the group and not enter.

Just goes to show you...there is no better organization of people, boats, and value than the NJPPC!!!!
This is a very interesting thread. $500 may be steep for some but not for others. Billy has to make a profit.
This is his living. I could not even phathom how much it costs and how much he has to pay upfront before
the event and before he begins to receive monies from the entrants. Bashing the expenses and such is not
really productive. There are LOTS of fun runs and gathering throughout the NE for all to enjoy. The idea is,
pick the runs that fit your budget and make the most of them. There doesn't have to be 200 boats to have
fun. Just good people and commraderrie and you can have an equally good time.

We will be doing the NYC run this year as well as Abay and some NJPPC events and a few others here and
there. We will be stopping by the raft up party and hanging for a while with fellow OSO'ers. Then pick it
back up again. Anyone that is at the Liberty Landing Marina come and say HI!

Have a great time and see you on the water!

Shane

I really enjoyed the scenery and running with the big boys for atleast a short time (until almost everyone of them passed me) and then back at the dock checking out all the hardware. It was like a who's who of HIGH performace boating, I guess when you have a 500,000 dollar boat, 500 bucks for gas and 550.00 for the run is a drop in the bucket.. I do think that the top prize for such a high profile poker run should have been a lot more than 5 grand,, how about 10,000 seems alittle more reasonable considering how much loot they raked in. And boy was I SURPRISED to see hot dogs, hamburgers and some dried up old beans for the after partsy meal... were they serious ??

Last edited by Chris232; 06-17-2002 at 03:05 PM.
Old 06-17-2002, 03:04 PM
Registered

Chris232,

I hear ya man. I know Billy has to make money at this and I surely do not deprive him of his living. I did feel short changed on the meal thing though. $35 for hot dogs and hamburgers and a cash bar even soda and juice? I am usually one to say "if you want to play you have to pay". Which is definitely true. I guess I just won't be playin' in the big leagues much. Stickin' to Thousand Islands Run in August and NJPPC events! DaveP and crew are FIRST CLASS people all the way and do a spectacular job! I think some upstate NY fun runs are in order!

Shane
Old 06-17-2002, 03:10 PM
Registered

My Boats: 2005 288 SUNSATION
Default Shane, like I said,, definitely no " OFFENSE "

I had a great time,,, looked and asked for you several times,,, but I got down late and hooked right up with Sharky ( promised him I would keep him company )

I guess for the big boys its just a chance to show off, but I feel even they got short changed, the food looked terrible, and the cash bar was a bit much, and the top prize was a little " cheap "..

Anywho, what did you end up getting for a hand ??
Old 06-17-2002, 03:21 PM
Registered

Chris,

I hear ya. So when we gonna hook up for a fun run? I agree all got short changed. Let's do one on the Hudson.

AS far as the hand goes, just 2 Ace of Hearts I believe. My buddy brought the cards up. I was trying to fix the boat.

See you soon?

Shane
Old 06-17-2002, 05:05 PM
SunseekerNY

Quote:
Originally posted by waterspeed
Hey Jennifer, good pics, but you spelled my last name wrong!!!

Marcus

P.S. David and I are still waiting to see the twins!!!

Thanks again for the shrimp!
Marcus: I know I spelled it wrong. Let me know the correct spelling, and I shall fix it immediately. I didn't get the opportunity to hit you guys up for a donation. Let's make a deal. How badly do you want to see the twins? We could start a new trend here - flash for charity.... NOT!

Jennifer