Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > General Discussion > General Boating Discussion
Worst "High Performance" Boats Ever Built? >

Worst "High Performance" Boats Ever Built?

Notices

Worst "High Performance" Boats Ever Built?

Old 04-20-2012, 10:08 AM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Received 179 Likes on 66 Posts

Nobody going to mention a Celebrity Firestar?
Old 04-20-2012, 01:35 PM
Registered

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

the worst is the boat you pay for and can't get
Old 04-22-2012, 07:24 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Awesome cats
Old 04-23-2012, 10:23 AM
Registered

Heyyy....who said Interceptor! No issues with mine! You have to be smart enough to know that it is not a 70 mph Power Boat but, rather a respectable 60-62 mph runner that has nice styling and can hang around some others of the same size, like a Baja 23'er. Now...would I buy a NEW Inerceptor for the money they want? Nope...would buy something else used in the same price range and have more boat but, for the deal I got on my Interceptor (23' with Bravo I and a 454), I will take it!!
Old 04-23-2012, 11:35 AM
jln
Registered

Originally Posted by frankenstein
That is freekin hysterical. I had a 1977 17 ft Checkmate. What a piece of garbage. The deck flexed so badly that I bolted a 2x4 from the deck to the floor. I was actually afraid to walk on the deck before the half ass fix. But since I was just a teenager at the time, I did have a whole lot of fun with that boat.
Sounds like your boat was most likely a POS from prior abuse , as many others have mentioned Checkmate's are well made . they do have alot of wood and like to be cared for, there are still a ton of older solid boats floating around , they often make a great buy for the person looking for a solid boat at a good price. i have owned 5 with no problems and Checkmate is a solid company to deal with. Am i missing the point of this thread is it new performance boats or any roach that someone bought as an abused boat.
Old 04-23-2012, 04:10 PM
Registered

I love how everyone talks soo much **** about Profiles...I have a 1994 29' with a single in it and I use the boat every weekend and love it! For the money I think they are great boats. If you run them on LOTO yes they will get broke up but what boat doesnt if you pound it to death! I have owned 3 Baja's and I dont think they are built much better than the Profile nor are Checkmates. I think its funny how people compare Profile to Fountain and Donzi...not on the same playing field and never will be. I couldnt be happier with my 29.
Old 05-03-2012, 02:12 PM
Registered

F to a bunch of you all! Look at this 1997 47' Fountain with rotted stringers. http://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/f...owerboats.html
It happens to the best of them and unless you’re uneducated when you buy your boat you get what you pay for and it's on you if you didn't do your homework. Not all of us have the cash or the want to blow it all just to keep with the level of the next guy.
Old 05-03-2012, 02:27 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by Too Stroked
Sure, we could talk about Aronow cats, 24CS Fountains and 18’ Skaters
What's wrong with the 24CS?
Old 05-03-2012, 04:24 PM
Registered

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Airpacker
This could very well be the winner.

1988 Peterborough Indy 220 I bought new. 460 King Cobra package

I owned it 2 seasons. Total running time of 119 hrs from new.
It blew 13 drives. I think it spent more time at OMC than with me.
The seat bases pulled out of the floor 3 times and the seat swivel brackets broke 5 or 6 times each.
Cabin doors and frame flew out of the boat and sank in Lake Ontario. Oh ya, and so did the engine hatch.
Cockpit floor lifted from the stringers.
Dash flexed up and down so bad it cracked the windshield on the passengers side.
Swim platform flew off on the highway one day.
Steering rack broke free from the dash.
Radio caught fire. Actual flames came out of the tape slot.
Every screwed part of the boat came lose, repeatedly.
I think I replaced every screw in the boat with the next size up and then epoxy, toothpicks and the next size up.

I traded it for my 1990 Power Play and the dealer called me a week later to ask about the repair to the port stringer. I said no repairs that I knew of. He then told me the motor mount ripped out of the stringer with a 18" long piece of stringer still bolted to it.

Great looking boat but it literally fell apart as it went.

And just for ****sandgiggles, I was turning left one day with it behind the truck on my way back from one of its multiple warranty visits when one of the trailer axles sheered off sending a wheel, tire, brake drum and axle chunk careening into the door of a parked cop car.
I was showing this thread to a buddy last night and as he laughed, remembering all the "good times" I had with that POS, he reminded me of one more major issue with it.

During the second season I owned it, I dropped it off the trailer into a very deep lake and went and parked the truck and trailer.

Fired it up, eased it out of the ramp and idled out of the launch area. we were putting along and the bilge pump comes on. Strange, I just put the plug in on the trailer and there was no water in the boat. I lift the hatch and water is spitting up off the fan belts
I stick my hand in my pocket and nope, no plug there. WTF?? Where is the water coming from. Well, the water is coming in faster than the pump can get rid of it and I think to myself, we are going swimming and this sucker is going down in over 100 feet of water. I spun the wheel and pointed it back to the ramp and used as much throttle as I dared. Beached the sucker on the concrete ramp and jumped in the water. Surprise!!! Not only is the plug not there but the entire fitting the plug threads into is gone leaving a 2" diameter hole in the transom. Surprise again, the screws that were holding it in were all stripped and the smear of plain jane RTV silicone that was really holding it in failed. After thought said I should have just let it sink but oh no, I had to save my boat. What a dumazz

Last edited by Airpacker; 05-03-2012 at 04:26 PM.
Old 05-03-2012, 04:37 PM
Registered

I also have a 1994 29ft Profile, running a blower motor, that I enjoy greatly with no problems, well maybe some motor problems here and there. ( Have boat, and also a bank account)

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.