Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > General Discussion > General Boating Discussion
Worst "High Performance" Boats Ever Built? >

Worst "High Performance" Boats Ever Built?

Notices

Worst "High Performance" Boats Ever Built?

Old 01-29-2014, 12:53 PM
Driver-441
Racer

Received 1,073 Likes on 283 Posts

Originally Posted by Don Johnson
Early Eliminator 33 Daytona. High quality build true to Eliminators heritage but horrible bottom design and respective performance. Porpoise was horrible and in some cases uncontrollable and turning manners were downright scary.
Id vote that too....very wet as well.

As for the Donzi lean....its a design from the 60s....became obsolete when the 21 Challenger came out. Ive driven a 22 Donzi into the very high 90s, great looking boat, they arent known for their handling, theyre known for their looks.
Old 01-29-2014, 03:32 PM
Registered

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Twin O/B Sonic
I sold VIP's for a while and we sold a few of the Vindicators. They all ran good and customers loved them except it was the era of OMC outdrives in them (I think they owned VIP at the time).
The small blocks were OK but the 460's grenaded the drives.Had one customer w/a 23 and I lost track at 3 drives. Sucked too cuz the dealer had ZERO experience dealing w/Hi Perf and always blamed the customer even though i knew better.

Must have been 88/89, there was a recall on them, took my father about 6/7 tries before things were done right
Old 01-29-2014, 03:45 PM
Registered

Received 365 Likes on 209 Posts

Originally Posted by 88242LS
Must have been 88/89, there was a recall on them, took my father about 6/7 tries before things were done right
If I remember rightly that recal was due to the effects of only 3 teeth on the clutch dog......
Old 01-29-2014, 04:41 PM
Registered

Received 1,825 Likes on 714 Posts

Originally Posted by J-Bonz
If I remember rightly that recal was due to the effects of only 3 teeth on the clutch dog......
I'm not sure of the root cause but the fix was an updated shift cable and shift mechanisim to keep it from popping out of gear. I had one but it was a small block.

The 460's were eating drives which were from the V-8 O/B's. They were questionable on a 300 HP O/B not even close to holding the torque of a 460 ford.
The small blocks ran the V-6 O/B case.
Old 01-29-2014, 06:33 PM
Registered

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I'm not sure of the root cause but the fix was an updated shift cable and shift mechanisim to keep it from popping out of gear. I had one but it was a small block.

The 460's were eating drives which were from the V-8 O/B's. They were questionable on a 300 HP O/B not even close to holding the torque of a 460 ford.
I would be lieing to say i remember, after being rebuilt many times I think the lower was replaced
Old 01-29-2014, 08:56 PM
Registered

Received 365 Likes on 209 Posts

Yeah, I do remember that being a recal. I think that was the fix
Old 01-29-2014, 10:09 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I got a feeling this thread could be a good way to ward newbies off
the hunt for some hard to find vessels
Old 01-29-2014, 10:16 PM
Charter Member #737
Charter Member

Received 73 Likes on 41 Posts

The worst boat I have ever owned was a HTM. Fast but built like crap. Not sure how the new owners build them.
Old 01-30-2014, 06:11 AM
Registered

Received 1,825 Likes on 714 Posts

Originally Posted by J-Bonz
Yeah, I do remember that being a recal. I think that was the fix
I had it done. About $1500. after the recall expired. We also did several at the dealer I worked for at the time.

Sold a 20' Stratus cuddy cabin to a guy that brought it back due to this.
It was popping out of gear and I thought I had it fixed by adjusting the cable.Took the guys money, towed the old Sonic to the big lake and came home to the Stratus back in my drive way!
I did a walk around and found the prop (stainless) was destroyed too. I skyed and it took a while for my heart rate to come down enough to call the guy and ask WTF.
He had taken it to Buckeye Lake and had the shifting problem.He said the prop was that way when he bought it!
Was also his first time on Buckeye

Any way........., he agreed to let me fix the shifting issue and thats what it was. Again, a small block w/no issues in the gear case.

KCHOTBOAT, I never knew that. I knew they were fast but heard that.

Last edited by Twin O/B Sonic; 01-30-2014 at 06:13 AM.
Old 01-30-2014, 06:59 AM
Registered

Received 9 Likes on 2 Posts

Back in the late 80's I helped a local Citation dealer with demo's . They had a 26' Lazer with twin OMC 460's that would run 80mph . Boat broke 3 drives before it sold , and was falling apart a little more each time out . The new owners were so unhappy they sued over it . The whole boat shook going fast ......

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.