Notices

Yacht goes down off NY

Old 07-06-2012, 07:47 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Very well put. This summer says "SAFETY FIRST!" No Bull Sh!t!
Old 07-06-2012, 08:27 PM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by wannabe
First, I am saddened at the loss of life and my heart goes out to those who lost family.

Secondly, I am angered because an irresponsible owner operated his craft unsafely endangering all the passengers. This gives boaters a bad name. There is NO way 27 people should have been on that boat. It was way over capacity which probably contributed to the capsizing due to center of gravity issues.

Wannabe
This. The Captain should be prosecuted with the most serious charge that can be brought against him.

RIP to those children and my condolences to their families.
Old 07-06-2012, 08:38 PM
Registered

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Unhappy

Very Sad, Very Tragic, Very Preventable! Condolences to the family and friends. So sad when children pay the price for STRUPID adults who are suppossed to protect children!

The rules of the road and laws are very clear and posted on almost all boats as to capacity and allowable loading. It's the owners responsibility to make sure the operator is qualified and knowledgable in the safety requirements of his boat before turning over the vessel to him for operation and the operators responsibility to comply with these laws and requiremnts as the "captain" of the vessel. Laws and regulations were broken here and the responsible parties should be held accountable. This was not really an accident, but a preventable act and the willful disregard for the law and safety of his passengers!

Just to also mention SADLY that 5 children lost their lives to electrocution on the Fourth becuase apparently stupid owners of boats and lakeside docks did not have the ground fault interrrupters on their dockside power hookups that the laws require and that inspectors and compliance officials allow this type of deadly safety violation to go uncorrected and that takes the lives of innocent children ! This is law everywhere in the USA by the National Electric Code AND SHOULD NOT HAPPEN AT ALL! No Damn excuse or justitication for these losses!

Regards,
Ray @ Raylar
Old 07-07-2012, 01:30 AM
Registered

Received 47 Likes on 30 Posts

Originally Posted by tlr
This is why I make everyone wear a life jacket at night or in rough weather. I also put whistles ($2) and strobe lights ($10) on all my lifejackets.
At least one person is thinking ahead.

Michael
Old 07-07-2012, 08:21 AM
JC Performance Engines
Gold Member

Received 20 Likes on 17 Posts

http://abclocal.go.com/wabc/html5/vi...l&section=null
Old 07-07-2012, 08:37 AM
Registered
Platinum Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Terrible.....my condolences & prayers to the friends & families that lost the children.
Old 07-07-2012, 08:46 AM
Registered

I own a 34' Silverton of similar vintage. Even my cat would realize that over 20 people aboard was way overcrowded. I've had 8 aboard, and it seemed crowded. I can imagine some would have had sense to question the capacity of the boat, only to have the captain assure them "It'll be OK". Poor kids.
Old 07-07-2012, 10:27 PM
Registered

Another thing to take into consideration is the capacity rating on older boats is based on an old 1950's era average weight of an adult. There was just a recent news report here in Pittsburgh that discussed how the rating is being revised and how it will affect commercial vessels due to the fattening of people. I want to say the average weight in the 50's was 160lbs and now its over 180 if not closer to 200.
Old 07-08-2012, 08:17 AM
Registered

The police boat is still tied to the sunken boat. Very sad to see. Inexperience and rookies night out (fireworks show)
Old 07-08-2012, 04:03 PM
Member #154
Platinum Member

Received 864 Likes on 317 Posts

Originally Posted by Stormrider
The LI Sound is open waters. A large wake could have come from 1/2 a mile away or further.
I've been out in these waters plenty of times. A wake will seemingly come out of no where.

My home waters too, it's not a body of water to F with. Nice conditions much of the time but yes there are wakes/waves from ships that come from seemingly nowhere that'll kick your butt. Large vessels running up the Sound from NYC area to Block Island Sound & the Atlantic are commonplace, so is the typical 50' Hatteras/Viking/Bertram/Cabo et al. Why ask for trouble when the water is more than happy to oblige?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.