Old Flares...What do you do with them? >

Old Flares...What do you do with them?

Notices

Old Flares...What do you do with them?

Old 08-16-2012, 10:14 AM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Received 181 Likes on 68 Posts

My neighbor is in the USCG Aux. and inspects my boats every year. His advice was that although they're technically expired and not legal for the inspection, they may not have actually gone bad. So he recommends separating them and keeping them on the boat. He always recalls the story of a guy who was down to his last flare (expired BTW) before he was finally spotted. There is no penalty for having extra flares on board as long as you have valid ones.

BTW: An expired flare is probably better than no flare at all in an emergency.
Old 08-16-2012, 10:34 AM
Were doomed!
Charter Member

Received 949 Likes on 478 Posts

Just keep in mind the expired flares may not have the "punch" the new ones do......one 4th a number of years back we were at a friends house after a day of boating and they had a bon-fire going and setting off fire works. Buddy of mine decided to shoot off a flare that was 2yrs past its date.....shot it up in the air....barly got higher then the roof line and landed on the next door neighbors roof!!! And kept on burning!!! needless to say the scramble for the garden hose was like a comedy act!!

Money can't buy happiness, but it can buy horsepower. And I've never seen a sad person hauling a$$!
Old 08-16-2012, 12:00 PM
Registered

Received 94 Likes on 22 Posts

Originally Posted by Wally
Just keep in mind the expired flares may not have the "punch" the new ones do......one 4th a number of years back we were at a friends house after a day of boating and they had a bon-fire going and setting off fire works. Buddy of mine decided to shoot off a flare that was 2yrs past its date.....shot it up in the air....barly got higher then the roof line and landed on the next door neighbors roof!!! And kept on burning!!! needless to say the scramble for the garden hose was like a comedy act!!
this is what Ive found too....like 2 out of 3
Old 08-16-2012, 02:47 PM
VIP Member
VIP Member

Received 1,295 Likes on 449 Posts

Duct tape them together in a nice big bunch very tightly and put in a long fuse...but dont have anything within a 1/4 mile.... oh and run!
Old 08-16-2012, 06:56 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Port Monster
I use old flares and extenguishers to teach my kids how to use them. Nothing like some real world this is how you pull the pin and set off the extinguisher or this is how you use the flare. If they ever have to uwse one at least they have had their hands on them!
You are exactly right, nothing like doing it for real. I do the same thing with my girls and it was amazing how scared they were the first time. Now there're used to it so hopefully if ever needed they won't have any problem.
Old 08-16-2012, 10:20 PM
Charter Member #232
Charter Member

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Wally
Yup that happened to me as well. Not the roof but in the woods and started a small fire.
Old 08-16-2012, 11:12 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Point them at your boys and watch them dance. White men can jump!!!!
Old 08-16-2012, 11:21 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Port Monster
I use old flares and extenguishers to teach my kids how to use them. Nothing like some real world this is how you pull the pin and set off the extinguisher or this is how you use the flare. If they ever have to uwse one at least they have had their hands on them!
Thats a great idea! Wonder if someone who teaches a "safe boating" course could use expired ones to train novice boaters how to use them?

I would gladly donate my expired flares to something like that
Old 08-17-2012, 11:49 AM
Were doomed!
Charter Member

Received 949 Likes on 478 Posts

I know around here the Coast Guard Aux. has a day once a year where they allow you to shoot off old flares lake side...good practice and allows you to see how these things work or should work

Money can't buy happiness, but it can buy horsepower. And I've never seen a sad person hauling a$$!