Notices

Crash at DS.

Old 04-28-2013, 07:45 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by J Arruda
Hey Mike, Thank you.
But no need to justify his off the topic remarks about me. Its obviously something personal.
All my comments where about safety concerns of what was posed in a video I viewed. I agree I do not have the whole story or the picture. My goal is to preserve our sport, thats it.
On another note: If Skater Dave wants to challenge to me and see who has the most high perf boat experience, I would welcome it.
Old 04-28-2013, 07:50 PM
Registered

You said it, it's not a race so why are these guys running 150 mph to the first card stop? Don't get me wrong I love poker runs but with the speeds some of the boats are capable of it is getting out of a fun run category. Lets save the high speed pass for the shoot out.
Old 04-28-2013, 08:19 PM
Registered

Glad to hear all are ok

Last edited by Tantrum; 04-28-2013 at 08:22 PM.
Old 04-28-2013, 09:06 PM
Registered

Received 13 Likes on 7 Posts

My God there is a lot of b*tching, whine bag, cry babies on this forum. They go to fast, it's not a race, what were they thinking, why this, I'd of done this or that.... Accidents happen every day, everyone besides the poor little girl get to go home to their familes(rip) :-(. It's something we all on here love doing & enjoy. If you think they go to fast don't go, if you don't like it stay home, take up knitting or painting or something. Relax & be happy we all can do this geeze....
Old 04-28-2013, 09:24 PM
Registered

Received 7 Likes on 2 Posts

Perspective is the ruin of civilization.

A very small percentage of the US population have ever heard of a poker run, let alone Desert Storm, or even Lake Havasu. To include the world's population causes poker runs, desert storm, and lake Havasu to be nearly non-existent.

Approximately 1,000 deaths in the US are attributed to falling in the bathtub each year. Construction continues to be the number one spot in accidental deaths, far outstripping war in the US and police officers killed in the line off duty. Bathtub deaths cleans up on police officer deaths every year.

Auto accidents have decreased in the past decade to roughly 33 thousand deaths a year in the US. Accidental poisoning is still one of the highest causes of accidental death.

Considering the number of idiots that frequent lake Havasu (my own personal perspective from having been there), those that frequent lake Havasu are generally the type that are looking for attention. The number of accidents and or accidental deaths or injury are extraordinarily low, though that is most probably due to one cop for nearly every square meter.

Motorcycles, on the road or dirt, is still one of the leading cause's of accidental death or serous injury with motor vehicles outside of automobiles.

While, skateboarding, skiing, and many other sports are considerably higher in injury and death than boating as a sport, or boating in general. Commercial fishing is still one of the leading causes of accidental deaths, following construction.

High school sports, are attributable to far more deaths and serious injuries per year than offshore racing and poker runs combined. Yet numerous poster's claim each accident in boating as the end to legal boating, while they will cheerfully send their children off to participate in a far more deadly high school sport.

It appear as though the majority of those calling foul, on events at poker runs, or racing events, to be those that do not possess the means to participate. Yet they give no thought to participating in activities they do have the means to participate in.

Like taking the bus to the grocery store for another bottle of booze or beer, for which cirrhosis of the liver causes far more deaths per year than, boating, sharks, bus accidents, and taking a bath, combined .

Last edited by SinOjos; 04-28-2013 at 09:26 PM.
Old 04-28-2013, 10:06 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by SinOjos

A very small percentage of the US population have ever heard of a poker run, let alone Desert Storm, or even Lake Havasu. To include the world's population causes poker runs, desert storm, and lake Havasu to be nearly non-existent.

Approximately 1,000 deaths in the US are attributed to falling in the bathtub each year. Construction continues to be the number one spot in accidental deaths, far outstripping war in the US and police officers killed in the line off duty. Bathtub deaths cleans up on police officer deaths every year.

Auto accidents have decreased in the past decade to roughly 33 thousand deaths a year in the US. Accidental poisoning is still one of the highest causes of accidental death.

Considering the number of idiots that frequent lake Havasu (my own personal perspective from having been there), those that frequent lake Havasu are generally the type that are looking for attention. The number of accidents and or accidental deaths or injury are extraordinarily low, though that is most probably due to one cop for nearly every square meter.

Motorcycles, on the road or dirt, is still one of the leading cause's of accidental death or serous injury with motor vehicles outside of automobiles.

While, skateboarding, skiing, and many other sports are considerably higher in injury and death than boating as a sport, or boating in general. Commercial fishing is still one of the leading causes of accidental deaths, following construction.

High school sports, are attributable to far more deaths and serious injuries per year than offshore racing and poker runs combined. Yet numerous poster's claim each accident in boating as the end to legal boating, while they will cheerfully send their children off to participate in a far more deadly high school sport.

It appear as though the majority of those calling foul, on events at poker runs, or racing events, to be those that do not possess the means to participate. Yet they give no thought to participating in activities they do have the means to participate in.

Like taking the bus to the grocery store for another bottle of booze or beer, for which cirrhosis of the liver causes far more deaths per year than, boating, sharks, bus accidents, and taking a bath, combined .
I wonder what the financial responsibility or insurance runs on one of these safe boats . that go so fast that they flip n fly through the air . these boaters were extreamly lucky they get another glimse of sunshine . I bet those premiums just went up . i hope my insurance carrier isn't theres. i pay a lot to insurance . i want my insurance to think like you do . i wonder why my house insurance is so cheap . seams like a lot more liability than go fast boats out there . huh mindboggling, just saying bro
Old 04-29-2013, 12:12 AM
Registered

Originally Posted by SinOjos

So it's ok for someone to run 150 mph down a city street and crash because its not the top killer in the country.
All I'm saying there is a time and place to show all of us boat lovers how fast your rig is.
Old 04-29-2013, 12:13 AM
Registered

Originally Posted by ROB FREEMAN
I wonder what the financial responsibility or insurance runs on one of these safe boats . that go so fast that they flip n fly through the air . these boaters were extreamly lucky they get another glimse of sunshine . I bet those premiums just went up . i hope my insurance carrier isn't theres. i pay a lot to insurance . i want my insurance to think like you do . i wonder why my house insurance is so cheap . seams like a lot more liability than go fast boats out there . huh mindboggling, just saying bro

Insurance, one of the intangible facet's of the gem called life. I do not believe most common carriers write policies on go fast boats,certainly not the ones that are running the top speeds demonstrated, most people are probably safe from some kind of premium impact.

Carriers that do cover such boats and subsequent use scenarios, have run through a gross or two of pencils working the actuary tables, either they do not cover certain scenarios at all, or those requiring or desiring insurance, pay to support coverage at that risk level.

The average boater most probably has nothing to fear as they are not part of that risk group. Just like a 1970 SS Camero is less expensive to insure than a 1970 Z28. The group owning Z28's have a higher loss rate than the SS group.

People with the fastest boats at that risk level are generally more worried, or should be more worried about liability, rather than replacement of the boat. If you are worried about losing the cost of the boat, you should not be playing at that level at all. If you are at the level of not worrying about the loss of the boat, you have a lot more to worry about losing, than the cost of the boat.

Easy money and cheap coverage has been one of the primary factors in negligence. The dollar a day warriors are the most dangerous.

Last edited by SinOjos; 04-29-2013 at 01:19 AM.
Old 04-29-2013, 01:18 AM
Registered

Originally Posted by waconda
So it's ok for someone to run 150 mph down a city street and crash because its not the top killer in the country.
All I'm saying there is a time and place to show all of us boat lovers how fast your rig is.
I agree with you. There is a time and place for everything. Nothing is more devastating than loss of life or injury of an innocent individual due to someone who is showing off, stupid, or simply pushing the limits at the wrong place and time. 100% avoidable and not necessary at all.

In this particular circumstance, Desert Storm, everyone, including the spectators, where well informed of the intentions, and speeds that would be attained. Accidents, as much as it is desired to be avoided, will happen, no matter what activity is performed.

Driving a car is still the most dangerous activity everyone performs, yet the least perceived danger. Most people are desensitized to the danger because they have spent so much time driving with nothing bad happening, yet that perception does not change the actual danger. How many people do you see talking or texting on a phone while driving, not only do they not perceive the actual danger and care nothing about hurting others, but are insensitive to their own safety.

Unfortunately, there is always one group looking to infringe upon another groups activities, using the claim of safety, despite the claiming group pursuing activities of equal or greater risk.

Actual Danger and Perception of Danger are two entirely different organism's. People should not be so quick to point the finger at someone doing nothing more than pursuing freedom of choice, as long as they are not harming anyone else who has not voluntarily hitched a ride.

Last edited by SinOjos; 04-29-2013 at 01:21 AM.
Old 04-29-2013, 08:47 AM
Registered

Received 8 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by waconda
We were right next to the boat taking the video and seen it unfold. Not knowing if there was any divers in the choppers and putting ourselves in danger getting across the path of more on coming boats we stayed put. I did see 1 chopper sit down on the bluff 150' above the water and there looked to be 2 or maybe 3 spectator boats on that side if the lake, there was one patrol boat on our side that did make there way to the other side to lend assistants but it was at least 8 to 10 minutes before any resuce boats showed. All of us were waving our arms at on coming poker run boats as well as spectator boats to slow down, at this piont I was very surprized as the choppers didn't radio back and stop the run as the second wave came blowing by. I'm a little set back as to the lack of rescue that was availabe for such an event of this size. I'm just glad all survived.
Why would there be a need for rescue teams??? It's a poker run rally not a race. or is it...... It is great everyone survived this one.

I love speed and boats, but these events are getting somewhat out of control. Especially when its so easy to plop into a turn key 150 MPH pleasure boat in recent years. A few years ago to go that fast you needed big roots blowers, carbs, crash boxes, race fuel etc. You needed to really know what you were doing just to start and park a boat like that. Now with the new hulls and turn key packages like the merc 1350 (which is a awesome motor) these boats are easy enough to start buy and drive anyone can have one. I think people are loosing respect for the speed that comes with them. Its all about the big number.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.