Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > General Discussion > General Boating Discussion
Big cat owners...What did you wish you knew? >

Big cat owners...What did you wish you knew?

Notices

Big cat owners...What did you wish you knew?

Old 12-16-2013, 01:30 PM
Registered

Received 151 Likes on 65 Posts

Originally Posted by Mastercraft240
Im looking at a 33-36 foot cat with 525's and bravos (imco sc extrmes) and im wondering what the downsides are ......... (1) low freeboard (2) too small to go int he ocean? (3) not enough power to get through the hop? top speed only 110-115. A #6 boat is not in the budget right now. Thinking this would be a good learning cat.... keep the power blue and it'll move quick
To big of boat with bravos period, stick to the 30 foot range with bravos.
Old 12-16-2013, 03:12 PM
Registered

Received 155 Likes on 71 Posts

Im looking at a 33-36 foot cat with 525's and bravos (imco sc extrmes) and im wondering what the downsides are ......... (1) low freeboard (2) too small to go int he ocean? (3) not enough power to get through the hop? top speed only 110-115. A #6 boat is not in the budget right now. Thinking this would be a good learning cat.... keep the power blue and it'll move quick
You and I are searching for the same kind of boat. What kind of insurance quotes have you gotten? I've been told $4-5k/year on the boats I've looked at and it doesn't seem too bad.
Old 12-16-2013, 03:17 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by precisiondetails
Personally, my plan is to run 525EFIs/XRs for a few years and then do Whipples/SCXs after the insurance company is happy with my cat experience. Over 120mph, there is a huge jump in insurance premiums for people with little to no cat experience.
Old 12-16-2013, 03:47 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by precisiondetails
Really? I was hoping the 525s with the imco extremes would be OK. I just know im going to get banged on insurance etc with a #6 and big power, and as I said its just not in the budget right now.

Originally Posted by Plowtownmissile
You and I are searching for the same kind of boat. What kind of insurance quotes have you gotten? I've been told $4-5k/year on the boats I've looked at and it doesn't seem too bad.
Same, around $4-6k.... i've been told I need the tres martin course, which I've already taken with Brad (highly recommended fyi) but I have to retake the driving portion of it. I've also been told the issue isnt with cats as much as it is with speed.
Old 12-16-2013, 03:51 PM
Registered

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Personally, my plan is to run 525EFIs/XRs for a few years and then do Whipples/SCXs after the insurance company is happy with my cat experience. Over 120mph, there is a huge jump in insurance premiums for people with little to no cat experience.
40 Skater
no cat or performance time
$11,000/year
layup Labor Day until Memorial Day
Tres Martin course required
Deductible is 10% of insured value

After this year (my second year)
$7500/year with no layup.

I would say it would be cheaper to buy the boat you want now and pay the extra insurance premium. You are not going to sell the boat for a profit and it can take some time (and money) to get the boat just how you like it. That is money you never get back.

There are a bunch of boats I look at and would like to have but don't want to spend $20, 30, or $50,000 to make them "right".

My next boat will probably be a 1 year old low hour boat. 40 Mystic, 40 MTI, or 388 Skater. Probably with 1100s (even though I wish someone would build a few with 700s to see how they really do)
Old 12-16-2013, 05:56 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by Orthobam
40 Skater
$11,000/year

I would say it would be cheaper to buy the boat you want now and pay the extra insurance premium. You are not going to sell the boat for a profit and it can take some time (and money) to get the boat just how you like it. That is money you never get back.

There are a bunch of boats I look at and would like to have but don't want to spend $20, 30, or $50,000 to make them "right".

My next boat will probably be a 1 year old low hour boat. 40 Mystic, 40 MTI, or 388 Skater. Probably with 1100s (even though I wish someone would build a few with 700s to see how they really do)
There is 1 388 with 700s... And has been set up by a pro!!
Old 12-16-2013, 05:58 PM
Registered

Really? I was hoping the 525s with the imco extremes would be OK. I just know im going to get banged on insurance etc with a #6 and big power, and as I said its just not in the budget right now.

Same, around $4-6k.... i've been told I need the tres martin course, which I've already taken with Brad (highly recommended fyi) but I have to retake the driving portion of it. I've also been told the issue isnt with cats as much as it is with speed.
You could do it, but like Orthobam said, you are gonna spend the $$ later to upgrade. And cats at that size, Bravos work for your bank account, but unfortunately not in real world boating if you know what I'm saying.
Old 12-16-2013, 06:16 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by Orthobam
40 Skater
$11,000/year

Thanks BAM. My problem is that my wife would say hell no if it cost more than $5k/year insurance. She's already pissed at me over selling her ideal boat to get a cat. We recently discussed a cat we were interested in that needed some work to be right and she is adamant that it be turn-key/clean. That crosses off most used Skaters in the range I'm looking at (tanks needing done) and I really don't want a center pod. A 30-36' Motion or Spectre is what it comes down to and I'd be happy for a long time with that. We are planning on towing it (flat) everywhere so that leaves Nortech 3600 cats out also due to width. A newer 32' Spectre with windshield and 525EFI/XRs would be ideal for us. I'm kicking myself for not picking up Dogghouses 36 Spectre...

Big thanks to everyone on this thread for posting great info.
Old 12-16-2013, 06:28 PM
Registered

Big thanks to everyone on this thread for posting great info.
Agree. Never get tired of talking about this stuff.
Old 12-16-2013, 06:35 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

This will seem like a plug toward my Jag, and it is. Check it out, your insurance is based on cost and speed. This hull is forgiving and is not a bravo boat. Easy to tow, just slightly over width with a cabin. Doug

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.