Notices

AT vs. OL

Old 01-22-2014, 07:49 PM
Registered

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

I shouldn't but.... allow me to retort to the surprised OL response.

Pure vinylester resin, full urethane stringers and transom. No plywood, polyester and, lastly, no reputation to a boat compared to aviation, which I assume, is in flight.

On the dock in Miami in two weeks. See us. You will be pleasantly surprised.
Old 01-22-2014, 08:13 PM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

what is the running length of the 36ol?
Old 01-22-2014, 08:14 PM
Geronimo36
Gold Member

Received 131 Likes on 36 Posts

The 39' OL is a better comparison to the 37' AT IMO.

These two being compared are two very different boats in my opinion.
Old 01-22-2014, 08:22 PM
Registered

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

get a cheif 41 rigged like their first boat, 110+ with 700s and arnesons... what a beast, and that mofo sho aint scared of big water
Old 01-22-2014, 08:24 PM
Forum Regulator
VIP Member

Received 1,195 Likes on 519 Posts

I'm not certain that Mike's mention of plywood was directed at Active Thunder's construction.

It's well known that the current model ATs are all using modern construction materials including urethane. There are plenty of other boats out there with carbon based products in their construction though. I helped another guy out in a new boat a couple seasons back; in a boat that was marketed to be in the same league. The electrical rigging was a trainwreck, AND it was inaccessible to work on; covered up by black spray-painted PLYWOOD fastened with woodscrews from Home Depot.

The main difference is this:

1 boat is engineered and designed to go-fast and look pretty.
1 boat is engineered and designed make the wife happy and look pretty. It scoots pretty good too.

They are built for totally different buyers. That's why the comparison is a little skewed from the get go.
Old 01-22-2014, 08:51 PM
Registered

Received 28 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by ratman
get a cheif 41 rigged like their first boat, 110+ with 700s and arnesons... what a beast, and that mofo sho aint scared of big water
That boat is overpriced IMO. One of their dealers has it priced as much as a new 52'OL and if your going to compare them their isn't one. Again just my opinion.

I think it would be more fair to compare the AT with a Top Gun or the 39OL Quattro.

The 36OL is more like driving a very refined sports car. (Ferrari or lamborghini). It is smaller, lighter and faster, runs like its on rails. My top gun and the AT's are like the ZR1 corvette. Not quite as fast but bigger overall. (length, freeboard,Cockpit space)
Old 01-22-2014, 09:12 PM
SORE MEMBER
Platinum Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I would have to go with The AT as long as I could get Ilmors.
Old 01-23-2014, 12:21 AM
Registered

Received 278 Likes on 97 Posts

Both cool boats and used active thunders are a great value. Very surprised so many dreamers are picking AT over OL? If this is true wouldnt AT be selling more boats? AT is doing a great job making thier older designs look a little fresh but really need to step up to larger power and updated design to run with the big boys. I am NOT a OL cheerleader and respect both boats and company's owners.

But personally I would NEVER spend that kind of coin on ANY junk bravo based boat! If you can afford that Much you can afford arnesons or 6s because you will end up spending the same amount in the long run anyways.

Sorry don't really want to hear about nice cabins anymore. No one that can afford a new boat uses the cabin to sleep on. Cabin boats were only popular when financing was available to people who could not afford to even own the boat let alone maintain or run it. Customers buying new powerboats in today's market can afford a hotel.

Last edited by offshorexcursion; 01-23-2014 at 12:23 AM.
Old 01-23-2014, 08:45 AM
Registered

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by offshorexcursion
Sorry don't really want to hear about nice cabins anymore. No one that can afford a new boat uses the cabin to sleep on. Cabin boats were only popular when financing was available to people who could not afford to even own the boat let alone maintain or run it. Customers buying new powerboats in today's market can afford a hotel.
Maybe it depends on the type of boating you do If every day ends with you back at your home dock or back on the trailer then yes a cabin probably doesn't make sense. Sometimes a cabin would be nice! Our cat doesn't have a cabin and some of the boating events we do end up with people rafted up in coves or you end up staying overnight at some water bar's dock due to drinking. A cabin there makes all the sense in the world. I don't mind occasionally sleeping under the starts on one of the front couches (Have done it more than once) but my WIFE isn't to keen on the idea for a regular basis type thing
Old 01-23-2014, 09:12 AM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by MILD THUNDER
I say forget both those options, stop being cheap, and get one of these if you wanna be a bad azz. This thing should come with a condom dispenser and a pallet of baby wipes.

Holy $hit.....best comment EVER.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.