750 hp for $ 23 k brand new ??? 2 year warranty >

750 hp for $ 23 k brand new ??? 2 year warranty

Notices

750 hp for $ 23 k brand new ??? 2 year warranty

Old 03-13-2014, 04:23 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by onesickpantera
While I agree to a certain extent, you are also paying for KNOWLEDGE when using SOME of the reputable marine engine builders. If it was so easy to build a reliable marine engine this forum wouldn't be filled with "rebuild gone wrong" threads.
Absolutely true. There are more shops that put out junk than there are quality shops. Knowledge is way more important than parts. I didn't say it was easy. I am just saying that you don't have to pay crazy prices or higher fee's for marine work. You also don't need many of the parts that come with these cookie cutter high profile combinations.

Old 03-13-2014, 05:05 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The high end engine builders offer the same warranty as merc. Maybe another good question would be .... How many engines they have had to warranty in there career. From what I understand those numbers speak for themselves. I don't know a lot about motors and the little I do know is that there is a lot to learn if ya want to build high HP set ups. What would a reputable engine builder charge to build a compeer able motor might be a good question to. You may find they refuse to use some of those parts but I'm sure there is good reason behind that. When it comes to part prices there is only so much a builder can do. My question is what is the HP thresh hold where you really start wanting to us all the high $$ stuff. For a guy like me I have twin small blocks( merc scoriopn 377's). I would love to do a rebuild and maybe get 425-500 hp a side out of them. But they are 2 bolt main blocks and I don't want to have to do a ton of fuel system upgrades. I don't have a problem doing pumps but new lines and pick ups I don't. As far as injection ...not sure what mine can handle. I honestly have no idea what to expect price ways if I want to do this . But I have heard way to many hillbillies say to me" 377 strokers and your only getting 377hp, you got ripped off" ..... I'm not letting any of them touch my boat.
Old 03-13-2014, 05:25 PM
Registered

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by tomcat
Can someone tell me why torque peak at 5100 RPM is a good idea for a marine engine?
you can move around the torque curve , id be ok with that but i run my stuff hard, it still making big tq at 3800 rpm just not its peak
Old 03-13-2014, 05:26 PM
SB
Registered

Received 3,117 Likes on 1,403 Posts

Originally Posted by tomcat
Can someone tell me why torque peak at 5100 RPM is a good idea for a marine engine?
Well, you forced me to click the link on the engine. LOL.

I hope that was a typo by them...definately worth a call if someone is interested in that motor for something. If those are peaks, that is fupped up. Only 800 rpm spread.

Their ad says:
•750HP @ 5900 RPM
•Torque 729#'s @ 5100 RPM
Old 03-13-2014, 05:31 PM
SB
Registered

Originally Posted by ratman
i paid 13k for a 800hp 540 from scott shafiroff racing, calles crank dart block and full cnc dart heads, a nice engine, it was an unclaimed engine. i think regular price was around 18,500, the buyer put down his 50% deposit and never picked it up... it is a dynoed engine with full spec build sheet with all clearances ect.

marine places are much more pricey cuz people are paying their prices.,

im talking about n/a single 4bbl hi perf boat engines, not 1500 hp blower stuff cuz car and marine stuff there is worlds apart. i think you can get a better deal from a place that build good car engines. its all the same parts, just minor changes to make it live in a marine environment. see what cranks they are using and other hard parts if its all scatt inexpensive forged stuff take a pass, you can get the good hard part for a single 4bbl 750hp engine in that price range, its easy to make 1.3 to 1.5 hp pr cu in a big n/a bbc motor...
The engine in question for thread starter is completely dressed , ready to bolt in - was yours ?

Exhaust, hoses, wiring, pulleys, belts, cooling system, etc,etc,etc. ?
Old 03-13-2014, 09:13 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by SB
Well, you forced me to click the link on the engine. LOL.

I hope that was a typo by them...definately worth a call if someone is interested in that motor for something. If those are peaks, that is fupped up. Only 800 rpm spread.

Their ad says:
•750HP @ 5900 RPM
•Torque 729#'s @ 5100 RPM
There is nothing wrong with that spread and you can craft a cam to make any spread that you want. IMHO, that is a great torque peak for a boat motor and the spread between torque and HP is not a problem at all. People forget that torque is really what matters in high load situations such as boats.

Old 03-13-2014, 09:21 PM
Mod Squad Enforcer
Charter Member

Received 795 Likes on 258 Posts

First engine and/or powertrain thread I have followed in years around here.

I'm mainly following it because everyone has a good question or answer and is keeping it completely civil.

That is a very rare thing around here when it comes to engines or hulls.
Old 03-13-2014, 09:27 PM
SB
Registered

Originally Posted by redwhite
There is nothing wrong with that spread and you can craft a cam to make any spread that you want. IMHO, that is a great torque peak for a boat motor and the spread between torque and HP is not a problem at all. People forget that torque is really what matters in high load situations such as boats.

Because of what Cash Bar said nicely...LOL....I respectively disagree with most of what you said. Or maybe how I understood you to say.

You must have an application in mind. If so, tell it. I may agree also, Ya never know.
Old 03-13-2014, 09:45 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by SB
Because of what Cash Bar said nicely...LOL....I respectively disagree with most of what you said. Or maybe how I understood you to say.

You must have an application in mind. If so, tell it. I may agree also, Ya never know.
Why do you disagree? Where should torque peak be on a boat motor?

Old 03-13-2014, 09:52 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by Roger
BULL $$ Marine engine builders are WAY overpriced. I realize that boat engines are constantly under strain but three-four times the price of an automotive price is GOUGING in my opinion. Can you imagine a tractor pulling engine costing as much as boat engines?? There would not be any tractor pulls. Same strain.

Our tractor pulling motors start at 40k for the farm class and go to 125k for the limited pro. Billet everything. They are getting 3000 horse out of them now, but peeling blocks open. It makes boating look cheap compared to that 10 second ride. Go price a fuel pump set up with 17mm plungers

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.