750 hp for $ 23 k brand new ??? 2 year warranty >

750 hp for $ 23 k brand new ??? 2 year warranty

Notices

750 hp for $ 23 k brand new ??? 2 year warranty

Old 03-14-2014, 10:03 AM
Registered

Received 40 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by SkiDoc
Good components cost a lot of money. I had a performance parts warehouse package price some 598's with tunnel ram carbs. I thought I could have some of our good local machnists do the work and come out a lot cheaper than the marine builders. Just the parts for the engines were about 12k. This was with no marine accessories, bell housings, headers. And all the parts weren't top shelf. The marine builders know little things about rigging and set up that if not done right can cause catastrophe with the best "parts" There are some individuals who have the knowledge to do all this themselves and save their money and that's great and satisfying for them. I know enough to be dangerous. I realized that and had Eddie build my engines the right way and rig them in the boat. It is costly but less costly than redoing mistakes.
That brings up another really good point. After the engine is built, you need someone with marine experience to be sure it is setup, installed, propped, etc. correctly. The best engine in the world won't live if it isn't set up properly. This is where some marine builders have a distinct advantage over an automotive/drag race engine builder. I wouldn't attempt to build a drag race engine. I'm sure I could make it live, but it probably wouldn't be competitive. I would approach it with a marine engine builders mentality, since that is what I know. In that respect, an engine is not an engine.
Eddie
Old 03-14-2014, 10:12 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Eddie, I have to say I really appreciate you chiming in on this thread. I believe your comments 100%. I am sure some may read this and have some level of disbelief but they can learn the hard way in you get what you pay for. I am not a customer of EY but respect the work he does and sharing your knowledge here could save someone big$ in the long run. I certainly have learned my lessons along the way.
Old 03-14-2014, 11:36 AM
Registered

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Thanks everyone , I got the picture " you get what you pay for "

mike
Old 03-14-2014, 12:02 PM
Registered

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by onesickpantera
The spread is usually around 1400rpm or so. But, I personally think a closer spread is a good thing as long as there is still a fat torque curve.
I always thought that peak torque should be at around 4000 rpm " cruising speed " where should it be at ?
Old 03-14-2014, 12:36 PM
Registered

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

As previously noted it is "close to drop in ready" but if you were to purchase this and finish it out with basic components, and I say "basic" meaning being budget minded with components such as the exhaust, ect..ect..you would easily be around the 30k mark by the time it's in the boat and ready to fire up..

((- I say this in good fun and this may have already been mentioned, but without being "nit-picky" or over analytical the price on that engine appears to be 24k not 23k -))

Another thing I think worth mentioning and to take into consideration is if the unfortunate issue of ever having to use the 2yr. warranty came up for whatever reason, how good is it in the real world ?? I agree that yes a 2yr warranty on anything that makes 750HP is a good selling point, and seems like good piece of mind.. However the question I raise is how would all that play out if you needed to use it, esp with them being a few thousand miles west of you.. ?? I don't say that as a derogatory statement in anyway towards the builder, seller, or whoever, nor is it in anyway an acquisition of any sort at all.. I guess it's just more of a hypothetical question because in my opinion it's something anybody would or should consider in a purchase like this..

Lastly I'm assuming your doing your homework, and like most anybody else around here your trying to get the best bang for the buck which is something I certainly understand.. So with that being said the best advise I can give you for whatever it's worth is to keep doing your homework and just make sure your comparing apples to apples in regards to every aspect of a purchase like this... Regardless of the application and I'm sure it's been mentioned already,, there's allot more that goes into a reliable 750HP piece than just merely assembling good parts..

I know it's been a few years but I always liked the way the 28 Pantera you had built was setup.. If memory serves me correctly it was a big inch, single carbed N/A engine making somewhere around 700 HP orso ?

All that being said and whatever direction you decide to go I wish you the best !!
Old 03-14-2014, 12:38 PM
Registered

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by mikebrls
Thanks everyone , I got the picture " you get what you pay for "

mike
I didn't see this till after my post, so not trying to beat a dead horse with my first paragraph, or any of the rest of it for that matter.. haha..

Later, Scott
Old 03-14-2014, 12:44 PM
bck
Charter Member#568
Charter Member

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

Ok. The torque thing. My motor made peak HP 660 @ 5600- 5700, peak tq was 664 at 4600. Torque was over 600 for the whole pull 3000- 6000. What does this tell me?
Old 03-14-2014, 12:51 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by bck
Ok. The torque thing. My motor made peak HP 660 @ 5600- 5700, peak tq was 664 at 4600. Torque was over 600 for the whole pull 3000- 6000. What does this tell me?
You have a nice flat torque curve. You should be happy.

Old 03-14-2014, 12:53 PM
Registered

Received 40 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by drpete3
Eddie, I have to say I really appreciate you chiming in on this thread. I believe your comments 100%. I am sure some may read this and have some level of disbelief but they can learn the hard way in you get what you pay for. I am not a customer of EY but respect the work he does and sharing your knowledge here could save someone big$ in the long run. I certainly have learned my lessons along the way.
Thanks Pete.
I have lost quite a bit of business along the way that was just based solely on pricing alone. I quote my engines in 100% complete, drop in form. Now, the boat may need some rigging changes, but the engine is complete minus tail pipes. Some quote the same way, but there are others that don't. You could have a running engine, that will crank up, run, do everything that it's suppose to do, but needs another 5K-10K worth of parts and labor to be able to put it in the boat and go riding. Obviously, that engine is going to be quite a bit cheaper. But, in the end, the customer is going to spend the same amount of money. Problem is that he didn't know he was going to have to spend another 10K, After all, he is buying a running engine.

I guess my point is do your homework. Get a complete parts listing of what is included. Get a copy of their warranty. Go to their shop and visit. People will fly all over the country to see a 20k boat but won't go visit an engine builder that they are spending 75K with. I have several customers that I have never met, or didn't meet until the job was done and they had spent over 100K. Hell, I love to talk, so I enjoy having visitors.

I'll end by saying that this may be a great piece. Go check it out. It may end up being a hell of a deal.
Eddie
Old 03-14-2014, 12:54 PM
bck
Charter Member#568
Charter Member

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

Is it unusual for the torque to be higher than hp?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.