Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > General Discussion > General Boating Discussion
LOTO MSWP Man Overboard Drowning >

LOTO MSWP Man Overboard Drowning

Notices

LOTO MSWP Man Overboard Drowning

Old 06-04-2014, 01:15 PM
Registered

Received 324 Likes on 126 Posts

Fist of all, there is +30K boats registered to LOTO, not counting those that visit... (contact Revenue and request a mailing list for advertising. you will get a list, for a fee) So you need to adjust those numbers.

Next, Where is the 5/yr? I know of 1/year for the last 5 years? And now compare the hours used per boat/driver?

I just think if you are going to use statistics, they should be more specific/correct
Old 06-04-2014, 01:32 PM
CLA
Registered

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Sounds like you guys have the same type of water cops up in LOTO we have in Texas. Steel toe boats on your boat, bump your boat while docking, etc.......

I always tell them I wanted to be a cop when I was kid but I went to college and got a real job so I could afford my own boat and not one the gov't bought me........it really makes them sad. lol
Old 06-04-2014, 01:35 PM
Registered

Received 11 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by bajaholic
I Respectfully disagree.... It has EVERYTHING to do with what put the kid in the position in the first place. His decisions put him in that position.

The WP is on the lake for protection of everyone that is not operating in an unsafe manor. The kid jumped by the accounts of the witnesses, he too made that decision. Ramnifications are learned ALWAYS after the fact, rarely are they learned ahead of time.

Yes... The WP officer had him in custody, He placed cuffs on him to protect himself from being accosted by the arrest'y (SOP) He placed a PFD on him, and was driving the boat to unload and book him. The WP Boat was NOT in an accident, Didn't throw him overboard (according to witnesses) nor were there any actions by the WP officer to make the kid get up and jump off by any of the accounts that have been witnessed. I Just don't see where the WP didn't provide prudence in his duties? The kid made the decision and acted on it... He is responsible for his own actions...

Again I ask: What if the kid caused a larger accident, killed a bunch of people (maybe even one of your own friends/family) Would you be *****ing about the WP not having caught him if he had witnessed something, possible as trivial as beer can overboard? I am guessing they would still be on the chopping block...
What if the water patrol never pulled him over, they didn't cause an accident, and nobody was hurt or killed? Hindsight is 20/20. In the article I read they even say the water patrol has to take extra caution in boats because it is an open cockpit and the detainees can escape unlike a squad car. Truth is the water patrol arrested him and took full responsibility for him and his actions once he was detained. The water patrol should be roasted for this one.
Old 06-04-2014, 01:54 PM
Registered

Received 743 Likes on 401 Posts

Originally Posted by CLA
Sounds like you guys have the same type of water cops up in LOTO we have in Texas. Steel toe boats on your boat, bump your boat while docking, etc.......

I always tell them I wanted to be a cop when I was kid but I went to college and got a real job so I could afford my own boat and not one the gov't bought me........it really makes them sad. lol
You realize their are law enforcement officers on this site that purchased their own boats? Also, my son at one point wanted to enter law enforcement and was told he had to have a 4-year degree or they would not even consider him. It did not have to be a law enforcement degree. In fact, he was told to get a degree in something that he could fall back on in case the law enforecement job did not pan out.
Old 06-04-2014, 02:07 PM
CLA
Registered

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Knot 4 Me
You realize their are law enforcement officers on this site that purchased their own boats? Also, my son at one point wanted to enter law enforcement and was told he had to have a 4-year degree or they would not even consider him. It did not have to be a law enforcement degree. In fact, he was told to get a degree in something that he could fall back on in case the law enforecement job did not pan out.
I relize that, my BIL is an air marshal. I just like to mess with them like they like to mess with me. All the problems this country has and we have a bunch of yahoo's running around on the lake busting upper middle class familys trying to have fun. I think our tax money could be better used. I'll get as mouthy with them as I like.
Old 06-04-2014, 02:18 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I keep reading posts that say the life jacket wasn't put on this kid correctly. Can you tell us how you know this to be true? If not then please don't confuse the facts with guesses. This is a sad story no matter what though.
Old 06-04-2014, 02:21 PM
Registered

Received 21 Likes on 10 Posts

We don't know with certainty what happened up to the drowning with the exception of one FACT.

The arresting officer did not put the life jacket or handcuffs on correctly. My guess is he slid the life jacket over his arms while cuffed. Hopefully they release the information stating if his cuffs were still on him when the body was recovered.
Old 06-04-2014, 02:23 PM
Registered

Received 21 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by hanzcap
I keep reading posts that say the life jacket wasn't put on this kid correctly. Can you tell us how you know this to be true? If not then please don't confuse the facts with guesses. This is a sad story no matter what though.
Because when your hands are locked together it is impossible for a life jacket to come off. So, either his cuffs came off or his arms weren't through the armholes. One of the two has to happen.
Old 06-04-2014, 02:36 PM
VIP Member
VIP Member

Received 246 Likes on 112 Posts

I Respectfully disagree.... It has EVERYTHING to do with what put the kid in the position in the first place. His decisions put him in that position.

The WP is on the lake for protection of everyone that is not operating in an unsafe manor. The kid jumped by the accounts of the witnesses, he too made that decision. Ramnifications are learned ALWAYS after the fact, rarely are they learned ahead of time.

Yes... The WP officer had him in custody, He placed cuffs on him to protect himself from being accosted by the arrest'y (SOP) He placed a PFD on him, and was driving the boat to unload and book him. The WP Boat was NOT in an accident, Didn't throw him overboard (according to witnesses) nor were there any actions by the WP officer to make the kid get up and jump off by any of the accounts that have been witnessed. I Just don't see where the WP didn't provide prudence in his duties? The kid made the decision and acted on it... He is responsible for his own actions...

Again I ask: What if the kid caused a larger accident, killed a bunch of people (maybe even one of your own friends/family) Would you be *****ing about the WP not having caught him if he had witnessed something, possible as trivial as beer can overboard? I am guessing they would still be on the chopping block...
I have handled hundreds of DUI cases in New Jersey, I completely disagree with your assumptions, that young man died, he was handcuffed, end of story. You are assuming he was impaired, you don't know that, nor was it proven, only alleged, his BAC could have been under the legal limit, but regardless the police are responsible for safe transport of the suspect-defendant.

I don't deal with what if's, I deal with what what happened, he is dead it was preventable, this is bullsh*t he is dead. The WP is responsible once he is in their custody.
Old 06-04-2014, 02:39 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

bajaholic
I have read a lot of articles about this incident and so far have not read anything about anyone witnessing him jumping from the WP boat. Can you site your source on this? I would like to read this article...

Last edited by LoveFastBoats; 06-04-2014 at 02:50 PM.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.