BUI in michigan... what to expect has anyone had one

Notices

BUI in michigan... what to expect has anyone had one

Old 09-17-2015, 10:37 PM
VIP Member
VIP Member

Received 84 Likes on 39 Posts

Originally Posted by glboatdriver
Neither do mine, unless you factor in the 'trigger finger off the trigger' as one!
Yeah…I was taught the safety is located between the ears.

1. Those who can extrapolate from incomplete data.
Old 09-17-2015, 10:38 PM
VIP Member
VIP Member

Originally Posted by glboatdriver
Neither do mine, unless you factor in the 'trigger finger off the trigger' as one!
Yeah…I was taught the safety is located between the ears.

Old 09-17-2015, 10:38 PM
VIP Member
VIP Member

hmmm…why the double post?

Old 09-18-2015, 01:19 AM
Registered

Received 121 Likes on 39 Posts

It has been proven over and over that the “safety check” is nothing but a way to start an interaction with you so they have the opportunity to observe you up close and to be able smell you (and not to mention board your boat). You all have to watch a few of the cop shows. Most cops can’t wait to tell their tactics to the camera. They want you to start pulling things out and rummaging around for this and that, who knows what they will see you do or find in the process.
As for the O/P, happens to the best of us. Mine was one year ago this week. Wife and kids were away and I was bored. Dropped the boat in around 3pm and headed up to a restaurant on the next river I haven’t been to in a while. Get there, have lunch, 2 drinks the whole time and didn’t finish the second one. Have to go by a USCG station on way out of the river and wouldn’t you know it, the 40 year old classic red boat with thru hull exhaust gets pulled up for a safety inspection. Boat full of coasty’s just out of training and two seniors. They board me like I was a terrorist on a suicide mission, slamming into my boat, guns a blaze saying things like “let me see your hands” like I’m some sort of gangbanger in my lowrider. The boat is only 19 foot long and I’ve got two 180lb guys in full combat gear and boots standing on my award winning classic’s front deck. One drops my plug in anchor light as I am showing it to him (why I needed a light inspection when there was still daylight for another 2 or 3 hours I will never know). It rolls across the deck and he proceeds to try to stomp on it to stop it from rolling overboard. Combat boot footprint in bow deck and light now 30 feet under water. It didn’t start off well and it went downhill from there. They knew I was at the restaurant being I still had a half order of french fries with their logo on the container on the dash of the boat. At that point I was no longer playing the game. Ran my mouth in a respectful but in a “you don’t have the right” and “a safety inspection should be abolished like others have done already” way. Knew it was coming. They wanted me to blow in the tube and I said, no. I was already mad as a scolded cat (in a respectful way) and I knew a BUI was coming. They drag me over to their dock and as to do a physical sobriety check. I see all the tricks right away like the straight line they want me to walk on broken up concrete (can’t do that, 20 year carpet installer with bad knees), I also were glasses so the eye thing they like to do is out and I can touch my nose with my fingertips. Want to do a breathalyzer again. Respectfully decline again. As the two (one cadet and the leader) are away doing I don’t know what for what seemed like a while I’m sitting on a picnic bench with like 5 of the cadets and the second in command. After BS’ing with them about the boat and the law a few other things I asked them straight up what they would have done? After we got done with all the “I can’t advise you sir” BS they all said they would have refused if there was any the devil passed my lips.
So I end up sitting on that bench looking at my boat for the next 5 or 6 hours while I don’t know what is going on. Cadets have all left and it’s just me and the second in command and he is telling me how he just came up from FL and he was on a TV show down there. He also mentions that he doesn’t like it there because they are a bit high strung. Really??? Finally a DNR cop shows up and takes my info, writes me a fist full of tickets (they never asked me to do anything) and leaves. About 800 in fines and two summons to appear. I could leave but I couldn’t drive the boat. Now it’s late and I’m waking people up to come rescue me from the coast guard base….. “You need a tow?” No, “then why are you calling me?” I need you to drive me home. “Drive your f_in self home” ….. click. Was one “friend”. Lol.
Had to tell the wife when she got home and had the worst Fall ever waiting for court. Read what was on-line of those with enough balls to say they have been charged. They write a million tickets a year and there is more on-line about flying monkeys. Like others said, went to court with no lawyer because they are just an expense with no benefit, planned basically on pleading not guilty and see where it went. Got up to the bench and the state wanted a postponement because the cop was transferred and no one notified him to show up in court. I said that I wanted the trial to happen now due to the stress of waiting, loss of time at work, etc, etc. Dismissed.
Apparently the next guy in line (and his lawyer) had the same charges. I could see he was happy as he was called up but I know I just hit the lottery and yes the lesson was learned. If you really want to give the “inspection cops” an earful, no alcohol and have you inspection crap in line and then tell them to how you feel about their intrusion and to shove off cause after 4 stops last year I’m sick of it.
Old 09-18-2015, 05:28 AM
SORE MEMBER
Platinum Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

So they wrote up a bui without a blood draw?
Old 09-18-2015, 08:46 AM
Registered

Received 12 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by f_inscreenname
It has been proven over and over that the “safety check” is nothing but a way to start an interaction with you so they have the opportunity to observe you up close and to be able smell you (and not to mention board your boat). You all have to watch a few of the cop shows. Most cops can’t wait to tell their tactics to the camera. They want you to start pulling things out and rummaging around for this and that, who knows what they will see you do or find in the process.
As for the O/P, happens to the best of us. Mine was one year ago this week. Wife and kids were away and I was bored. Dropped the boat in around 3pm and headed up to a restaurant on the next river I haven’t been to in a while. Get there, have lunch, 2 drinks the whole time and didn’t finish the second one. Have to go by a USCG station on way out of the river and wouldn’t you know it, the 40 year old classic red boat with thru hull exhaust gets pulled up for a safety inspection. Boat full of coasty’s just out of training and two seniors. They board me like I was a terrorist on a suicide mission, slamming into my boat, guns a blaze saying things like “let me see your hands” like I’m some sort of gangbanger in my lowrider. The boat is only 19 foot long and I’ve got two 180lb guys in full combat gear and boots standing on my award winning classic’s front deck. One drops my plug in anchor light as I am showing it to him (why I needed a light inspection when there was still daylight for another 2 or 3 hours I will never know). It rolls across the deck and he proceeds to try to stomp on it to stop it from rolling overboard. Combat boot footprint in bow deck and light now 30 feet under water. It didn’t start off well and it went downhill from there. They knew I was at the restaurant being I still had a half order of french fries with their logo on the container on the dash of the boat. At that point I was no longer playing the game. Ran my mouth in a respectful but in a “you don’t have the right” and “a safety inspection should be abolished like others have done already” way. Knew it was coming. They wanted me to blow in the tube and I said, no. I was already mad as a scolded cat (in a respectful way) and I knew a BUI was coming. They drag me over to their dock and as to do a physical sobriety check. I see all the tricks right away like the straight line they want me to walk on broken up concrete (can’t do that, 20 year carpet installer with bad knees), I also were glasses so the eye thing they like to do is out and I can touch my nose with my fingertips. Want to do a breathalyzer again. Respectfully decline again. As the two (one cadet and the leader) are away doing I don’t know what for what seemed like a while I’m sitting on a picnic bench with like 5 of the cadets and the second in command. After BS’ing with them about the boat and the law a few other things I asked them straight up what they would have done? After we got done with all the “I can’t advise you sir” BS they all said they would have refused if there was any the devil passed my lips.
So I end up sitting on that bench looking at my boat for the next 5 or 6 hours while I don’t know what is going on. Cadets have all left and it’s just me and the second in command and he is telling me how he just came up from FL and he was on a TV show down there. He also mentions that he doesn’t like it there because they are a bit high strung. Really??? Finally a DNR cop shows up and takes my info, writes me a fist full of tickets (they never asked me to do anything) and leaves. About 800 in fines and two summons to appear. I could leave but I couldn’t drive the boat. Now it’s late and I’m waking people up to come rescue me from the coast guard base….. “You need a tow?” No, “then why are you calling me?” I need you to drive me home. “Drive your f_in self home” ….. click. Was one “friend”. Lol.
Had to tell the wife when she got home and had the worst Fall ever waiting for court. Read what was on-line of those with enough balls to say they have been charged. They write a million tickets a year and there is more on-line about flying monkeys. Like others said, went to court with no lawyer because they are just an expense with no benefit, planned basically on pleading not guilty and see where it went. Got up to the bench and the state wanted a postponement because the cop was transferred and no one notified him to show up in court. I said that I wanted the trial to happen now due to the stress of waiting, loss of time at work, etc, etc. Dismissed.
Apparently the next guy in line (and his lawyer) had the same charges. I could see he was happy as he was called up but I know I just hit the lottery and yes the lesson was learned. If you really want to give the “inspection cops” an earful, no alcohol and have you inspection crap in line and then tell them to how you feel about their intrusion and to shove off cause after 4 stops last year I’m sick of it.
I find it hard to believe that you were over the legal limit with 2 drinks.

What were the charges/tickets? I cant even see how they could have a case without a breathalyzer back at the station. Turning down the PBT was a good move, it would have been wise to turn down the monkey show also as it will be used against you no matter what. They were are trained to, and were attempting to build evidence...no evidence = no case.
Old 09-18-2015, 10:24 AM
Registered

Received 21 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by JRider
I find it hard to believe that you were over the legal limit with 2 drinks.

What were the charges/tickets? I cant even see how they could have a case without a breathalyzer back at the station. Turning down the PBT was a good move, it would have been wise to turn down the monkey show also as it will be used against you no matter what. They were are trained to, and were attempting to build evidence...no evidence = no case.
I read it as he refused the breathalyzer so we don't know if he was over the limit.
Old 09-18-2015, 10:43 AM
Registered

Received 599 Likes on 243 Posts

I was Shook Down by the Fort Myers Coast Guard about 8 years ago, that is a story in itself.

I often go down to a intercoastal beach that is mainly for dogs and overlooks a little pass that makes for a great sunset.

I have seen the Fish and Wildlife and Coast Guard shake a down many families just anchored up in the pass trying to enjoy a nice sunset and a cocktail .

The regularity and the length of the inspections and stops kinda hit home with me that if you are in that pass at or near sunset you most likely will be boarded.
Old 09-18-2015, 10:51 AM
Registered

Received 12 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by onesickpantera
I read it as he refused the breathalyzer so we don't know if he was over the limit.
My point exactly. He refused the Preliminary Breath Test (PBT), and not being detained/hauled in (in this case, walked in) suggests they did not have enough evidence. The whole story is not adding up...one of two things is going on here, he is embellishing the real story or he is not telling everything that happened.
Old 09-18-2015, 11:54 AM
Registered

Received 599 Likes on 243 Posts

A friend of mines father was a police officer for many years in Florida.

Best advice he ever gave me if you are asked to blow is " I request the appearance of a public attorney while I blow.' If they say are you refusing to blow say no I request a public attorney to witness it while I do it.

I pulled that card in Hickville N.C. many years ago and though they said we do not provide a public attorney we will let you call someone and they have one hour to show up to witness your test.

Than if you did not saturate your body right before you got pulled over and hopefully your blood alcohol level is on its way down start hyper ventilating and this will clean out your breath and accelerate the alcohol processing.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.