Notices

Fuel Injector Maintenance

Old 01-04-2018, 09:11 PM
BUP
Banned

Received 41 Likes on 35 Posts

Originally Posted by Keith Atlanta
I pulled my fuel rails off today. No dirt or junk but there was gas in there for a while without running. Whats the best fuel injector cleaner to run thru the system that does a good job?
To add info here - I do not know what fuel injectors your moded 496 has - but the stock 496 fuel injectors have micro basket filters that are very deep set internally of the injector. The amount of crap that collects in there one would not believe until seen first hand. With that said running cleaning thru the entire fuel system can be a double edge sword. Yes it can clean and dissolve certain things and yes over a certain amount of cleaning runs can clean very well using a heavy duty fuel cleaner - but here is the negative side doing this form of cleaning when running heavy duty cleaners thru the complete fuel system. It can dislodge contaminants that do not dissolve then fill the micro basket filters causing fuel flow restrictions of the injectors. This can run an engine hugely lean. It is best to uninstall fuel system components and clean each very thoroughly then reinstall.

Last edited by BUP; 01-04-2018 at 09:15 PM.
Old 01-05-2018, 06:06 AM
VIP Member
VIP Member

Received 597 Likes on 275 Posts

Originally Posted by payuppsucker
You gonna get that wreck running this year?

Reeeaaal Close- We have added some Goodies- Gonna be interesting
Old 01-05-2018, 06:55 AM
Registered

Received 749 Likes on 402 Posts

Originally Posted by PremierPOWER
Why is nothing happening to Mercury over this?? Ive read about the paint issue in other posts on other forums and it seems like quite a few are affected. Between all of our boats, we have 5 Mercury Racing, 5 Mercruiser, and 3 Mercury Verado. How do we know if ours are affected with the internal paint issue?
My Merc guy brought this issue up to me last year. I can't remember exactly how it went but the recall/TSB was along the lines of Merc paid for new injectors and other parts and then the customer was on the hook for labor. Would have been around $1K for me had my engine had been in the affected serial number range. Fortunately it was not. BUP should have the exact details.
Old 01-05-2018, 07:09 PM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Received 866 Likes on 325 Posts

Originally Posted by BUP
To add info here - I do not know what fuel injectors your moded 496 has - but the stock 496 fuel injectors have micro basket filters that are very deep set internally of the injector. The amount of crap that collects in there one would not believe until seen first hand. With that said running cleaning thru the entire fuel system can be a double edge sword. Yes it can clean and dissolve certain things and yes over a certain amount of cleaning runs can clean very well using a heavy duty fuel cleaner - but here is the negative side doing this form of cleaning when running heavy duty cleaners thru the complete fuel system. It can dislodge contaminants that do not dissolve then fill the micro basket filters causing fuel flow restrictions of the injectors. This can run an engine hugely lean. It is best to uninstall fuel system components and clean each very thoroughly then reinstall.
The engines are former 496 MAG HO rebuilt as Raylar 600 with 75 hours on them currently. They were rebuilt with the big NAPA 4348 fuel water separators, Aeromotive A1000 fuel pump and Aeromotive regulators and the injectors were new, stock AC Delco (i think) running at 43 PSI. I pulled 2 injectors off and the baskets were clean but the boat sat for 8-10 months and the gas smelled bad (marine 90 octane). Port Started but stbd didnt start. I pulled 2 injectors out and they were clean but had some varnish on the rim and the rail had a light varnish. So, I bought a pressurized fuel injector cleaning bottle and ran Star Brite enzyme thru 50/50 then I ran Lucas heavy duty fuel injector cleaner thru 50/50. The engine ran a little rough and after about a minute I could tell when the fresh gas and cleaner made it.... The engine smoothed right out! Long story short I never had a boat or vehicle with BAD (really bad) gas. Its a real pain in the butt gettin fresh gas to the fuel rail and injectors. All good now but it took 2 days - luckily the weather has been 67 degrees.

What else should I run thru them? i drained the gas but didnt put new gas in yet. Anything else to run thru the system to make sure its perfect?
Old 06-17-2018, 09:22 PM
VIP Member
VIP Member

Received 46 Likes on 23 Posts

I have to give BUP a huge thank you and recommend his fuel injector service. My port engine always was lazy when cold and my revs were far off from stbd going up the rpm range. 600SCIs decided to send injectors in for service. Bup sent video of the injectors straight out of the boat and the video was eye opening. 2 Port engine injectors were lagging so far behind it was remarkable I didnt lean the engine out. Bup rebuilt and matched all the injectors, sent video for proof. I ran everything this weekend and now no cold run issue and my rpm are nearly identical match thru rpm range. The engines just idle like they never have and respond so much better. I have 260 hrs on the boat and engines. I am not one for any services to clean this or test this and that but Bup has the knowledge and abilities that made me a firm believer. If you have hours or some running issues look into the F.I. system and talk with Bup about service.

Last edited by VoodooRob; 06-17-2018 at 09:27 PM.
Old 06-17-2018, 09:54 PM
Registered

Received 27 Likes on 18 Posts

BUP—Just posted a similar topic. How often would you recommend this be done?
Old 06-18-2018, 07:44 AM
Were doomed!
Charter Member

Received 949 Likes on 478 Posts

That's an awesome pic VoodooRob! Easily a screen saver or a page out of a catalog for Merc Racing

Money can't buy happiness, but it can buy horsepower. And I've never seen a sad person hauling a$$!
Old 06-18-2018, 10:56 AM
BUP
Banned

Thanks again everyone and VRob for the post. Actually I like that VRob especially since your business is motorcycles and custom Motorcycle exhaust.

Without a doubt can say 100 percent boaters need to stay on top of their complete fuel systems from bottom of the gas tank to the injectors. Fuel samples and cutting open fuel filters is basically the testing to determine what is needed plus when one should have their injectors tested, flow tested and cleaned.

Many reasons I say this. Water in the fuel is a huge killer and really hurts the injectors internally. . Keep in mind marine apps have had from the OEM's water fuel seperator filters installed over 40 years and running. There is a reason why they are installed. They know water / condensation that form in the fuel systems is an issue from day one.

If you have GEN 3 cool fuel systems or the Volvo Carter cool fuel system on any engine - one has no choice in the matter. Your injectors need to be cleaned and flow tested. The internal paint is the killer - then the cheap aluminum fuel rails / lines will or can internally corrode from the inside out. Even forming pin holes over the long term.

Keep in mind the more hours one has on their engine(s) - the odds are that the electric fuel pumps are wearing inside some of the components - that wear goes into the injectors regardless. Anyways I will post some more plus some of the issues with certain injectors

In marine class it seems that the viewpoint of when to have injectors looked at and tested is every 7 years in a perfect world. Keep in mind fuel injectors are a electrical and mechanical basically solenoid device for a jist of info. You have test the electrical side of the injectors as well. There is failures on that side of it.

Never hook a 12 V battery directly to any injector - if so that injector(s) life has just been shorten

Last edited by BUP; 06-18-2018 at 11:00 AM.
Old 06-19-2018, 04:24 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 151 Likes on 77 Posts

I have Arizona Speed & Marine injection seating above my 572 BBC's....I'm second owner, first owner (Flagship Marine in Punta Gorda Fla.) short story, in 1994 Flagship's owner built & restored this 1982 35' Cigarette
It was fully gutted and customized to it's present condition........In 1995 the owner got sick, it was placed away in storage until I bought it in 2016 some 21 yrs after his restoration...........everything is 21 yrs old with less
than 10 hrs on every component (engines, drives, fuel injection etc; etc..........When I bought it in 2016 we pumped the old fuel (yes fuel was left sitting for 21 years) flushed the tank and filled with av fuel.
The fuel injectors were cleaned not professionally, but sprayed with aerosol cleaner & apparently it wasn't contaminated by the old fuel.. The av fuel fuel passes through a "Separ 2000" water separator & fuel filter" remember,
these are all circa 1990's equipment, but with very little use still work extremely well today................Boat is not in the water yet this year, but last year ran very well with no issues....My question is; for future concerns what
maintenance should I be addressing?...........It's never broken down and I would like to keep that trend going, but probably needs a full going over just for posterity.
Old 06-19-2018, 04:58 PM
BUP
Banned

it is best to run all engines with a quality 2 stroke motor oil and quality fuel stabilizer for storage / lay up of over 4 weeks if the boat is not being used.

This helps fuel pumps - fuel lines - carbs if applicable - fuel rails - fuel injectors if applicable - fuel filter mounting pads - fuel fittings and so forth. Also the oil / gas mix does not seem to evaporate as much as straight fuel only. This in return also helps against having fuel issues.

See the 2 stroke oil adds lubricity and lubes against condensation forming that can cause corrosion --- when mixed in the fuel. Keep in mind acts like a fogging oil effect . 40 to 1 or 50 to works well.

Also add some to your gas tank for lay up --- 2 stroke motor oil and stabil. 80 or 90 or 100 to 1 mix on the 2 stroke motor oil.

Last edited by BUP; 06-19-2018 at 05:04 PM.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.