Kilo Record Eludes Fountain

Notices

Kilo Record Eludes Fountain

Old 03-03-2018, 05:38 PM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Received 204 Likes on 132 Posts

Originally Posted by Unlimited jd

not that boat. It had cockpit a/c and 5 person pleasure cockpit but no cabin. The monster sl 52 has all that and went 150. I think Whipple 43 had a cabin and touched the 160’s
hmmm my buddy who is close with Outerlimits said it did, he just told me that last week and I even heard it in a interview, I dunno... either way it wasn’t a gutted race hull like the fountain
Old 03-03-2018, 05:44 PM
Registered

Received 342 Likes on 120 Posts

Originally Posted by hustlerguy
If they thought it was gonna be that easy they woulda done that already with a simpler cheaper option.
it' obvious now that to get the existing fountain hull design to break the record it' going to need to be modified. If they thought they could break record in current state they woulda put a new exhaust manifold on and been back at it. That's why fountain team is taking a break and a resett on figuring this thing out.
I have no doubt fountain will test secretly and only come back if they have a set up there confident in can be stable enough to carry that speed throughout the kilo.
every hull design and step placement hits a brick wall for speed at Some point and needs re design.
The idea this was going to be easy was silly and I think that has been proven now. Doesn' mean it can't happen but the ideas people threw around of 200+ mph was ridiculous. My prediction is If anyone can break that speed # average it will be by single digits and it' gonna take a lot of work to get there.
Everyone should give credit where it' due, fountain crew made gains over there last record (great job) but there current set up is not enough to overtake the hard work and setup by the Outerlimits crew and boat that currently hold the record.
Logical assumption to make but Fountain didn't stop improvements on their kilo boat after breaking the record at 171 - and the bottom design didn't hit a wall. The reason they were so confident of 200 this time is because back in the day they had the old kilo boat running well into the 180s on far less hp than the current kilo boat. Now, having not made one of these hulls in nearly a decade, and with totally new engines, they are going to take a mulligan on this first attempt and fix what is wrong with this boat vs the old kilo boat. They don't need to invent a new design to break the record - just recreate what the've already done. Just chalk this first attempt up to being a bit rusty. I have no doubt they will get it right next time.
Old 03-03-2018, 06:28 PM
Registered

Received 698 Likes on 341 Posts

Originally Posted by Full Force

hmmm my buddy who is close with Outerlimits said it did, he just told me that last week and I even heard it in a interview, I dunno... either way it wasn’t a gutted race hull like the fountain
you’d think the 20+ times I’ve been to the factory I would’ve looked inside it once lol. So I’m not 100% but fairly certain there’s no cabin.
i think this was from when it was built

The Birth of a Race Boat
Old 03-03-2018, 07:05 PM
Registered

Received 793 Likes on 448 Posts

Interesting Classified timing wise - steep coin though

https://www.offshoreonouterlimits-sv...om-o72010.html
Old 03-03-2018, 09:57 PM
Registered

Received 698 Likes on 341 Posts

Originally Posted by Full Force

I phoned a friend lol no cabin in the race boat
Old 03-03-2018, 11:15 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

All of you are ***s.......
Old 03-03-2018, 11:16 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

^^Phags
Old 03-04-2018, 05:13 AM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Received 204 Likes on 132 Posts

Originally Posted by Unlimited jd

I phoned a friend lol no cabin in the race boat
that’s odd, my buddy was pretty confident it had a less then full cabin, with ac, head and sink he’s had a couple Outerlimits and Been to factory dozens of times, just built the new 52 that just got done, I also swore mike Fiore said it did when interviewed wish I could find that

Last edited by Full Force; 03-04-2018 at 05:18 AM.
Old 03-04-2018, 06:18 AM
Registered

Received 480 Likes on 249 Posts

i think a big step hull is a disadvantage, reggie his own self said the steps are out of the water at full throttle.
the boat is running nose high on the last 6 - 8 feet, instead of nice flat and straight like the ol does on little steps

my guess would be more stable w/ a longer amount of keel in the water, easier to go straight- easier to go fast,
conditions not quite so critical because you aren't flying 34 feet of boat, you got 34 feet of keel- flying 9 feet
by virtue of the hulls shape.

*all numbers are guesstimates and do not include beak bustle and other b.s.
Old 03-04-2018, 06:54 AM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Received 1,134 Likes on 479 Posts

Well said. ^^^^^.
I'd question the steps at those speeds. Steps help with lift to get the boat flying but they partially removed the beak to reduce bow flare and lift so surely the steps just create more unnecessary lift.

A few here have run the 'prop slip calculators' and it sounds like they've got the speed capability they just need to fine tune everything and build enough confidence to hold the throttles wide open.

RR

Last edited by rak rua; 03-04-2018 at 07:24 AM.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.