MSHP Extends Lake of the Ozarks Shootout No-Wake Zone for Saturday

Notices

MSHP Extends Lake of the Ozarks Shootout No-Wake Zone for Saturday

Old 03-28-2018, 05:24 PM
Registered

Received 258 Likes on 149 Posts

Originally Posted by 20outlaw
Understandable, we enjoy raft up etc as well
if we drag the boat up, I feel it would be different cuz then we can enjoy the water Wednesday Thursday Friday Sunday. For us though we just rent a boat on Saturday only for the shootout so making it nothing but idle the entire way back kind of stinks for us.
Old 03-28-2018, 08:05 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Cool

Originally Posted by 20outlaw
We kept the boats in the slips on Saturday and watched the live stream from the pool at Camden, had a great time and plan on doing that again this year. In no way should the no wake deter a trip to the Shootout, like Bajaholic said there is way more boating that week than just Saturday of the Shootout.
We did the same last year, had a good time at the pool! Thought we would run up the lake after the no-wake zone last year, man that was trip! Everybody else waited and was headed down the lake at the same time!
Old 03-29-2018, 01:14 AM
Registered

Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts

They should have no wake for the larger boats. Let the poontons and boats under 30 feet go at the 30mm. Then after the smaller boats had cleared the area have boats between 30 and 40 feet go at around the 29mn from the center of thechannel.

The staggered approach probably couldn't be accomplished. At least they could let the 30' and under go sooner if they got up on plane quickly. The hardards are not created by these boats but they are the ones to suffer along with waterfront property owners.

With all the eyes glued to the coverage it seems that the water patrol and some groups could make some videos showing how to be a good neighbor on the water. Educate boat owners visually about how to operate a boat to reduce it's wake and also the size of the wake created by some of the heavy boats.

I would venture a guess that some people think they are saving fuel keeping the rpms down. They probably don't realize the sweet spot is 70-80% of throttle.
Old 03-29-2018, 10:45 AM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Apply the idle-only to cruisers over 25’ or 30’. They’re the major wake offenders. Let everyone else run.

WP can’t enforce it 100%, but if it’s good enough to prevent property damage, rock on.
Old 03-29-2018, 11:12 AM
Member #154
Platinum Member

Received 864 Likes on 317 Posts

At a gas dock on a river getting ready to spend the day romping on Long Island Sound, plenty of boats passing by with no issue, some dooche bag in a 50'+ Bertram cruising by around 20mph or so throws off a 5' wake wreaking havoc on the dock, breaks my engine compartment grille, scratches my hull. The problem is not with smaller boats on plane. That prick almost plunked my PP completely on the dock.
Old 03-29-2018, 01:45 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 22 Likes on 14 Posts

We have gone to the shootout for 15 years and if its hot no way will I go and idle that far in no wake. Last year after hour in no wake I said will not being doing this again especially if get a hot day. Sucks cruiser's have to ruin it for all of us. But I understand the damage it causes to docks and is dangerous if your in a small boat. But I will always miss the crazy times running back from shootout.
Old 03-29-2018, 05:07 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If you don't like the idle just be sure your nav. lights are working and stay in the area until dark .....a trip to haha tonka .....a run up to Bear Bottoms for fireworks or run further up to Red Fox for cheap drinks .......stay close and there's like 6 bars that have good food and dockage in the four corners area

It's the shoot out after all folks
Old 03-30-2018, 07:05 AM
Registered

Received 749 Likes on 402 Posts

My favorite memory is running in the slop right after the mass exodus in '06 in the first Sunny F-4 with Mentalpause. He'd just taken delivery that weekend so we had to test it out. It ate it up!
Old 03-30-2018, 09:37 AM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

As someone who lives at the 31 MM (inside/upriver corner) the runout is sometimes more of a spectacle than The Shootout (my next door neighbor has not replaced a dock that was lost in '06). While competent boaters can not only manage but enjoy the chaos (I've done it in a 15' Checkmate), there are many less than competent boaters out there and ultimately it becomes a safety issue more than a property damage issue (and I serve on the Water Safety Council here advocating for go-fast).
A competent boater friend of mine shot this vid a couple years back:
and attached is a pic from the backyard.
Old 03-30-2018, 09:56 AM
Registered

Received 124 Likes on 45 Posts

Kind of a cheesy video but it gets the point across small boats on plane aren't the problem large cruisers plowing are.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.