MSHP Extends Lake of the Ozarks Shootout No-Wake Zone for Saturday

Notices

MSHP Extends Lake of the Ozarks Shootout No-Wake Zone for Saturday

Old 04-02-2018, 12:29 AM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 18 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Kelly O
After seeing the stress put on the floating docks at our rented house along the main channel last year........I can attest that further steps needed to be taken.

If all the dock structures on the lake were on pilings, no problem. But they're floating and in now way are able to deal with the conditions created in those narrow channels by that much traffic.

Understand too that this is not a problem created by performance powerboat traffic, it's large cruisers/small yachts that throw wakes larger than you can imagine that are creating the hazard. Those large boats/ships are the ones that need a no-wake zone which extends for the furthest distance, not the other 98% of the vessels.
===============================================
Kelly:
Missed you at the Snowmobile Poker Run in Wyoming this Year,,,,,,,
I have concerns that this recent ruling by the MWP, will be the deterioration to the historic LOTO shootout.

* Most performance boats ( Race and Poker Run) will NOT take there boat to Captains Rons, and Cancel there reserved dock slips.
* The Spectators that come to the event to see these boats compete, will stop coming
* The Vendors that rent space at Captain Rons will not get any ROI, and stop coming
* The amount of funds generated from the LOTO Shootout will drop

Boaters with a performance boat ( or a race boat) will NOT subject there engines to a 10-12 mile idle on Saturday. Most of the race boats do not have legal equipment to navigate after official sunset, and have anxiety about leaving there boat at headquarters all night.

At the end of the day,.................. I predict performance boaters will enjoy LOTO on Wednesday/Thursday, participate in the Poker Run on Friday, and then restrict there boating from the Gravois Arm to the 21 mile marker on Saturday. There will be a rapid shift of land spectators, performance boats and race boats to numerous facilities north of the 21 mile marker.

2018 will be a Transition year at LOTO Shootout ,,,,,,,,,,,,,

Doc
Old 04-02-2018, 01:23 AM
Charter Member # 55
Charter Member

Received 1,822 Likes on 908 Posts

Originally Posted by Wilks

Very true but pushing the time back to 8 pm may encourage more to boat after dark which to me is more dangerous than the rough water. The restriction last year did nothing more than move the dock damage and rough water down the lake. This year they are going to move it further down the lake and encourage more to boat after 8. Just leave the no wake at the 31 and let what happens happen. The MSHP attempts are doing nothing to fix the issue. Just moving it around so they said they did something
I wouldn't even say it moved the rough water farther down the lake.
It made more people just wait to leave later and all at once and extended the rough water farther.
It was rougher from the 31mm all the way to the 17mm than its ever been except for maybe 2012 when the storm blew in.
That year, same thing, everybody left at once.

Last edited by Griff; 04-02-2018 at 01:28 AM.
Old 04-02-2018, 06:34 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

What Doc said is exactly what is going to happen. I've been going for 18 years and will continue to go as it is one of my favorite weeks of the year, but last year after the Poker Run on Friday we never made it back to the Shootout/Cap Rons due to the long idle. This year it's not even a question - my crew will not want to either with 2 hours on both side of the trip. Again, it won't keep me from coming but we'll be at the places below the 21MM or Evergreen. For those reading this thread and never been, don't let it keep you from coming. Still an awesome event!!! It's just going to transition/change a little...
Old 04-02-2018, 08:46 AM
Registered

Received 325 Likes on 126 Posts

Let me re-iterate, this change is ONLY for Saturday. It will NOT effect any of the events throughout the week, nor the Sunday Runs. Lets look at history, Sunday is when most of the biggest speeds have been ran in the past.

Just plan your trip to leave on Monday, rather than Sunday and you will have the best of everything.

I agree changing the "Zone" is not going to help anything, just change to where the water gets it's roughest. And think about it, the Closer to the 20 mm's you get, the more populated the waterfront is, ie: Condos, larger homes, etc...

Bureaucracy, and doing something to do something is just never a good idea.
Old 04-02-2018, 10:24 AM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Originally Posted by bajaholic
Let me re-iterate, this change is ONLY for Saturday. It will NOT effect any of the events throughout the week, nor the Sunday Runs. Lets look at history, Sunday is when most of the biggest speeds have been ran in the past.

Just plan your trip to leave on Monday, rather than Sunday and you will have the best of everything.

I agree changing the "Zone" is not going to help anything, just change to where the water gets it's roughest. And think about it, the Closer to the 20 mm's you get, the more populated the waterfront is, ie: Condos, larger homes, etc...

Bureaucracy, and doing something to do something is just never a good idea.
Indeed the water is calmer on Sunday,,,, and thus typically often higher speeds.
But, Sunday it is often like a "ghost town" at the shootout, with docks empty and the spectator crowd 1/10th the size. In reality it has evolved to a 1 day event, with a 2 day permit.

With this 2018 extended NW zone , Saturday will be a fraction of the historic powerboaters, and spectators.
Old 04-02-2018, 12:17 PM
Registered

Received 749 Likes on 402 Posts

I don't remember Sunday's being as reduced in crowd size when it was at Shooter's. Sunday was always the day the big number got posted. I think the extra distance of running to the course since it moved to Ron's for many has turned it into a one day event.
Old 04-02-2018, 01:51 PM
Registered

Received 80 Likes on 56 Posts

Then we could just enter the race, so that we can leave and not adhere to the 'no wake' - whether we raced or not.

...maybe I should have kept that to myself.

Originally Posted by JaayTeee
I’d like to see them give the race boats a pass on this.
Old 04-02-2018, 02:04 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

The Shootout Event, has to put a strain on the budget of the MSWP, and the various police stations. I do not believe the event contributes to the additional cost of water patrol manpower, (and overtime) a for special events at LOTO like the shootout. This maybe one of the reason that the new race organization, was unable to get another permit for there National Race in September at LOTO.

On August 25th, when all the performance boats enjoy the LOTO from the North End to the 21MM, I suspect all the water patrol will be unavailable and stationed at the other end of the lake. This is exactly what the LOTO bars on the parts of the lake have wanted for years,,,,,
Old 04-02-2018, 04:22 PM
Mod Squad Enforcer
Charter Member

Received 795 Likes on 258 Posts

We will be there for 11 days beginning the Thursday BEFORE Shootout week. We love the lake ands want a Summer home there. That being said, we will enjoy all the weekday boating and stay below the 21 on Sat and run around to all of the places that WANT our business. Running all the way from Camden to the Shootout is stressful enough, I'm not adding roasting for two hours of idle to the problem.
Old 04-02-2018, 04:41 PM
Charter Member #737
Charter Member

Received 73 Likes on 41 Posts

Shootout needs to get moved back down to the 21 mm or below mm. It was never a issue back then.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.