Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > General Discussion > General Boating Discussion
Whatís out there for true synthetic engine oil >

Whatís out there for true synthetic engine oil

Notices

Whatís out there for true synthetic engine oil

Old 11-16-2020, 11:21 PM
Registered

Received 215 Likes on 136 Posts

As an ex-mechanic and more than a little anal about my cars. I have done way to much research on what to use in my vehicles. I have become loyal to Amsoil. I use it in everything, I have a 38 year old lawnmower with the original spark plug. I have an 03 Suburban with 360,000 hard miles on it and it still runs better than new. I have over a million miles on my last 4 vehicles. I run it 10,000 miles between changes. I run 2 seasons on my boat and the oil is still clean when I change it and I run it hard and get the oil to 280 degrees and keep it there for miles. Does it cost more that Walmart oil? Yes it does but then it really doesnít. If you lease or like changing vehicles regularly donít bother. I spend years getting my vehicle exactly the way I want it. So what if itís 17 years old.
Old 11-16-2020, 11:36 PM
Registered

Received 28 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by ThisIsLivin View Post
As an ex-mechanic and more than a little anal about my cars. I have done way to much research on what to use in my vehicles. I have become loyal to Amsoil. I use it in everything, I have a 38 year old lawnmower with the original spark plug. I have an 03 Suburban with 360,000 hard miles on it and it still runs better than new. I have over a million miles on my last 4 vehicles. I run it 10,000 miles between changes. I run 2 seasons on my boat and the oil is still clean when I change it and I run it hard and get the oil to 280 degrees and keep it there for miles. Does it cost more that Walmart oil? Yes it does but then it really doesnít. If you lease or like changing vehicles regularly donít bother. I spend years getting my vehicle exactly the way I want it. So what if itís 17 years old.
wow ten k miles on an oil change. I saw the new můbil one oils recommend 20 k on oil. Iíve only gone 5 k on my oil changes 3500 with Castrol Dino oil in my daily driver.
For me the difference in temps the full synthetic can endure is so much higher than Dino oil. And things do occasionally go bad. I always try to watch my gauges but we have pretty much all over heated our stuff for one reason or another.
Old 11-17-2020, 08:58 AM
Registered

Received 173 Likes on 103 Posts

I researched this back in the day and I think the conclusion was that they started from Dino oil to reach what was essentially the same as synthetic. So I started using the Castrol syntec as it was quite a bit cheaper than Mobil 1 at the time.

But I generally just take whatever they call synthetic at the quick lube place. 10k mile change intervals, got 390k on an olds aurora, 190k on an XJR Jaguar. Granted this is much lighter duty than a boat.

For whatever reason the Suzuki oil is not marked as synthetic that Iíve seen, and itís egregiously expensive.
Old 11-26-2020, 12:42 PM
Registered

Received 2,059 Likes on 546 Posts

https://behrents.com/parts/joe-gibbs...-oil-02606.asp

It`s $8.99 if quantity is more than 20.
Pretty good deal for full synthetic designed for marine.
The following 2 users liked this post by ICDEDPPL:
abones (11-27-2020), flat rate (11-27-2020)