Notices

Hurricane Ian

Old 09-29-2022, 08:33 PM
Registered

Received 421 Likes on 175 Posts

Not that anybody would do this but.............
When the Red River flooded in South Dakota, many commercial building caught fire before the flood destroyed them. Of course firetucks could not get to them. It is well understood that many of the owners had fire insurance, but did not have flood insurance. There could not be any fraud found as all of the evidence was washed away in the flood. I remember one business owner saying that he was filling generators with gas when he spilled some gas, the genny caught in on fire and when he dropped the can, it started many more cans on fire. No charges filed.
I have heard it suggested that a box of matches needs to be a part of the hurricane survival kit?
The following users liked this post:
Menage_Aqua (10-18-2022)
Old 09-29-2022, 08:44 PM
Registered

Received 887 Likes on 481 Posts

Originally Posted by Jupiter Sunsation
Early estimates by catastrophe risk modelers project that Ian’s insured losses in Florida — excluding claims to the National Flood Insurance Program — will be in the $30 billion to $50 billion range. Fitch Ratings estimated insured losses between $25 billion and $40 billion.

https://www.sun-sentinel.com/news/we...ibm-story.html

Just thinking about this estimate.............the condo that collapsed in Surfside last year just got settled. It was 1 billion dollars all in for ONE condo. 25-50 billion seems really light considering the damage.
Old 09-29-2022, 09:22 PM
Registered

Received 295 Likes on 159 Posts

Originally Posted by ICDEDPPL
This time of year Florida boaters always making fun of us for winterizing soon and they "boat all year"
I might not have a long season I won`t see my house floating away
Dude, that’s pretty rough. I just got back to St Pete from Englewood and it’s a sad sight. Not as sad as Chicago on a good day, but sad.
OldSchool (10-23-2022)
Old 09-29-2022, 09:30 PM
Registered

Received 597 Likes on 242 Posts

Just got power and internet back here in Naples in thank god.

I

walked down to the beach this morning and all the condos boardwalks and fences and vegetation is non existent. I’m sure down in old Naples a lot of the old single story houses in Port Royal area are demolished
Old 09-29-2022, 09:37 PM
Registered

Docs beach house the only restaurant on the beach in Bonita Springs that my buddy Bo has owned for 40 years. Also where I used to do my parasailing out of back in the day.

He employs at least 30 people as his place Rocks 24/7/365, also the wave runner rental business is a Million a year business that won’t be able to operate without the restaurant.

A lot of these structures will never be rebuilt because of building codes and insurance is already nearly impossible to obtain and will be impossible now.

The old funky bars and marinas will all become condos as the land is worth a fortune and many were near the edge of selling off anyways b

Last edited by tommymonza; 09-29-2022 at 09:41 PM.
Old 09-29-2022, 09:44 PM
Registered

Received 749 Likes on 402 Posts

Damn...
Old 09-29-2022, 09:48 PM
Registered

2 of my close friends live on their boats at Salty Sams across the bay from the beach on the east side where they took the brunt of the wash after the storm blew through the beach area on fort myers beach.

Unbelievably my buddie Scott’s boat survived even though the whole pier he was on drifted clear to the other side of the marina. Neighbors Black fin is sitting on top of another boat.

one of a few boats afloat, he was stuck up north from moving boat but moving was futile unless you went up the river on the other side of the Franklin locks.

Last edited by tommymonza; 09-29-2022 at 09:50 PM.
Old 09-29-2022, 09:59 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by Jupiter Sunsation
Cell towers lose power then you lose cell service. Same game with voice over IP phone lines. They have to get the roads clear so the power company can get the power running again. Its going to be a long weekend for anybody over there as the ice runs out, the cleanup begins. I've lived in South Florida for 45 years, I've seen the routine plenty of times and it sucks to be in.

Florida has had 6 insurance companies go broke in 2022 so this will likely break a few more. Last October FEMA re-did the flood insurance rates, some policies went from $1200 a year to $8000! I feel bad for anyone that decided to ditch the coverage due to the increased rates then they get flooded a few months later!

yep my wife has been in the insurance game for quite a while and deals with mostly high end customers in Naples as a Broker

She had a longtime older customer on the beach at Fort myers who canceled her 26 thousand a year policy last week because she decided to self insure.

She has been struggling for 6 months to get her longtime customers coverage after all these underwriters have pulled lately.

She is seriously contemplating suicide rather than going into work tomorrow .

New policies will be impossible to write after this mess.

Last edited by tommymonza; 09-30-2022 at 12:00 AM.
Old 09-29-2022, 10:22 PM
Registered

Received 204 Likes on 97 Posts

Any news on Salty Sams Marina ????
tommymonza (09-29-2022)
Old 09-29-2022, 10:37 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 1,234 Likes on 688 Posts

Originally Posted by tlark
Any news on Salty Sams Marina ????
I saw something in passing on FB about the whole marina, building, boat club, etc being pretty much gone.

edit… post from Salty Sam’s that they have a lot of cleanup to do but looking forward to rebuilding.

Last edited by TomZ; 09-29-2022 at 10:42 PM.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.