Cigarette - The American Offshore Laughingstock

Notices

Cigarette - The American Offshore Laughingstock

Old 02-23-2023, 11:59 AM
Registered

Received 885 Likes on 480 Posts

Originally Posted by jtr2kwl
I 100% agree with this.

Cigarette stopped production of the 30's because the margins weren't there. But that was 20 years ago. I think today, in this market, it would be a VERY compelling product. I think it would be great for buyers and for cigarette!

And use that hull as a platform. 30 Vice w/ 520's. 30 Vice w/ 450s. Hell, make a 30 ft CC with the same hull!
I think Skip was thinking forget the smaller boats, let the customer up their budget. The margins likely still aren't there for smaller boats and the current owners really want ballers only, nothing cheap/entry level.

The 29 OL is a sleek boat, I love BobtheBuilders new one and the twin OB one, both are homeruns! A 30 vice with twins would be a nice setup.
The following users liked this post:
Bobthebuilder (03-01-2023)
Old 02-23-2023, 11:59 AM
Driver-441
Racer

Received 1,073 Likes on 283 Posts

not to take this off the topic of Cig....
But beyond the 27 (which is more than a 1 off, we've talked to Gio quite a lot about one) Magnum just recently unvailed the new 47 in Europe with 450Rs hanging off it.

Carry on!

Last edited by TeamSaris; 02-23-2023 at 12:05 PM.
Smarty (02-23-2023)
Old 02-23-2023, 12:00 PM
Registered

Received 28 Likes on 12 Posts

Look, I have to say that I honestly respected the amount of ambition that the new ownership came in with. Now, some of their ideas were good, some were bad, and some made no sense - but they had the ambition. I love that they want to grow the cigarette brand (ok - lets ignore the sweatpants for now). But ultimately, I don't think it was the "bad ideas" that have gotten cigarette into the position that it is in right now, rather I think that they overlooked 2 key factors. This isn't a "what they should have done" post, just an analysis of where I think the missteps were.

1) Cigarette failed to secure its core products & customers
2) Cigarette failed to recognize that its brand equity is almost 100% based on its reputation ( and credibility)

A little more on those:

1) Coming into an acquisition like Cigarette and wanting to growth the brand is great and all, except Cigarette seems to have failed to build on the foundation of their core offering. I would think a more appropriate growth strategy would have looked like:
1) Secure existing core product line
2) Secure existing customer base
3) Expand products within existing segment
4) Enter new product segments (DW Cat)
5) Enter new product markets (jet ski)

IMO, cigarette skipped steps 1-3, and went directly into growth mode without focusing on its core product offering and customers, and looked to enter new segments(DW cat) and new markets (jet ski). I thought the DW acquisition was a very astute move, and its really too bad the deal fell through. When this deal fell through, I think they really doubled down on the jet ski, which is a bit worrisome to me. The jet ski market is pretty saturated, highly competitive, and I imagine low margin. Considering the amount of CapEx to develop in-house (per the original plan), price point, and comparatively low volume production - they payback period would have been what, like 1,000 years? I think cigarette recognized this, and probably sought out a partnership or licensing agreement - hence the Miami boat show jet ski. And I think this jet ski ambition has really backed them into a corner. JR may be a billionaire - but just how much money is he willing to sink into a jet ski that he'll probably lose his shirt on?

2) I think the new ownership team failed to recognize that Cigarette's brand is primarily built on its reputation. At the end of the day, its products are NOT differentiated. The "luxury performance CC" market is extremely saturated, they're practically a commodity at this point! The same is true to an extent with the V bottoms. Pretty sure I can go pickup a 52 foot OL for half what Cig is asking for a 515. I think they overestimated Cigarette's competitive advantage, and the brand has suffered.

I think that may have driven the revenue growth claims (3x, 4x at one point, now claiming 50%+). as a proxy to give the impression that the brand is doing well. But who cares about revenue? It's a private company, and I've never heard another custom manufacture make claims about revenue growth. Who knows what revenue growth actually is, its completely unverifiable, and they can say whatever they want! But the fact of the matter is revenue growth doesn't get "fans" excited - pumping out cool boats, and we haven't seen any of that. Pre-acquisition cigarette was building something like 20 boats a year. At 1.5x. 3x. and 4x that would imply 30, 60, or 80 boats a year - and I think I've seen maybe 4 in the last year? Unfortunately, the false claims only further tarnish their reputation.

Anyway, I'm actually rooting for them. I hope they can get this thing back on track. Cigarette IS a great brand, and I think Cigarette can come back - but they may have to rethink their strategy and start again at square 1.

Last edited by jtr2kwl; 02-23-2023 at 12:47 PM.
1Zoom (02-24-2023)
Old 02-23-2023, 12:00 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by Knot 4 Me
Nothing seems "affordable" or "sensible" to me these days. And the wife and I make a pretty damn good living.

https://www.performanceboatcenter.co...=xNewInventory

340K is insanity for a 29 Velocity........to me that should be 1/2 that price.
The following 7 users liked this post by Jupiter Sunsation:
315duramax (03-16-2023), baja27 (02-23-2023), Gimme Fuel (02-24-2023), GRH (03-17-2023), Offshore Dreamer (03-21-2023), Plowtownmissile (03-16-2023), rak rua (02-23-2023)
Old 02-23-2023, 12:03 PM
Registered

Received 28 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by Jupiter Sunsation
I think Skip was thinking forget the smaller boats, let the customer up their budget. The margins likely still aren't there for smaller boats and the current owners really want ballers only, nothing cheap/entry level.

The 29 OL is a sleek boat, I love BobtheBuilders new one and the twin OB one, both are homeruns! A 30 vice with twins would be a nice setup.
I don't disagree with you - but still think it would have been a very interesting trajectory!
Old 02-23-2023, 12:25 PM
Registered

Received 431 Likes on 208 Posts

340K is insanity for a 29 Velocity........to me that should be 1/2 that price.
How about those Donzi 22 Classic's going for 200k?

Crazy....
The following 6 users liked this post by techman:
315duramax (03-16-2023), Gimme Fuel (02-24-2023), Offshore Dreamer (03-21-2023), Plowtownmissile (03-16-2023), TeamSaris (02-23-2023), Wildman_grafix (02-23-2023)
Old 02-23-2023, 12:56 PM
Registered

Received 749 Likes on 402 Posts

Saw a single 400 27' Crest tri-toon the other day with a list over $200K. Nucking Futz.

The following 3 users liked this post by Knot 4 Me:
Gimme Fuel (02-24-2023), Offshore Dreamer (03-21-2023), Plowtownmissile (03-16-2023)
Old 02-23-2023, 12:57 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by TeamSaris
not to take this off the topic of Cig....
But beyond the 27 (which is more than a 1 off, we've talked to Gio quite a lot about one) Magnum just recently unvailed the new 47 in Europe with 450Rs hanging off it.

Carry on!
Good to know!

If Magnum keeps up the new builds they might make more boats than CRT!
Smarty (02-23-2023)
Old 02-23-2023, 01:29 PM
Registered

Received 735 Likes on 330 Posts

I don't think Magnum has produced a boat since that 27 sit down with a 565 and that was a one off.
https://www.speedonthewater.com/magn...ned-27-footer/

When I think Magnum I think 40-50-60 ft with big surface drives and diesels, the newest listed on yachtworld was a 2013 that was for sale for years in Michigan then brought to Florida and its for sale again. Nobody wants open day boats, lack of shade is a big negative for most people today. Looking at the google street view of their Miami factory it seems maybe some refurbishments going on but it doesn't look like an active boat manufacturing facility.
When I mentioned Magnum or Riva crowd it was related to the wealth they have and the ability to buy a Cigarette.
The following 2 users liked this post by Interceptor:
SB (02-23-2023), Smarty (02-23-2023)
Old 02-23-2023, 04:52 PM
VIP Member
VIP Member

Received 84 Likes on 39 Posts

Originally Posted by Smarty
I walked through the Cigarette display Saturday. I love Cigarette boats, but I was extremely disappointed with the display and general "you are an inconvenience to my day attitude" by the 10 or more Cigarette employees who ignored me and all of the show attendees while I was present. If I were a prospect that ship has sailed.
That was exactly our experience a few years ago....My wife and I were at the Miami show and we we couldn't get the time of day from them...they were more interested in talking to each other than anyone looking at the boats...It was pre-pandemic, and I'm sure they were enjoying very strong sales at the time, but I'd been a Cig fan since forever and that cured me.

Everyone else we talked to seemed like they were happy to see us, but it was apparent customers were an interruption at the Cig booth.

We did buy a boat....just not a Cig.

d

1. Those who can extrapolate from incomplete data.
The following 2 users liked this post by Slippery:
Offshore Dreamer (03-21-2023), Smarty (02-23-2023)

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.