Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > General Discussion > General Boating Discussion
Howe2Live World Record Attempt >

Howe2Live World Record Attempt

Notices

Howe2Live World Record Attempt

Old 07-11-2023, 09:24 AM
Registered

Received 735 Likes on 330 Posts

Any idea what it would have cost to have a sanctioning body document the run ? APBA, UIM ?
Old 07-11-2023, 09:32 AM
Registered

Received 155 Likes on 71 Posts

I've watched some of their videos. As a boater, I've enjoyed a few of their videos but they have quite a bit that seem "Dan Bilzerian"ish that are more geared towards "Hey, look at me!" video content.
I'd been more impressed if they beat Howard Arnesons record from New Orleans to St. Louis. No ones had the balls to beat it yet all these decades later. https://www.howardarneson.com/articles/fireonmiss.asp

I agree they need some telemetry data to backup their claim especially since he has an engineering background. For instance, this kid has a tiny budget and does great videos with good telemetry data.

I'm also wondering if they actually set a record vs breaking a record.

Last edited by Plowtownmissile; 07-11-2023 at 09:57 AM.
The following users liked this post:
bulletbob (07-11-2023)
Old 07-11-2023, 09:56 AM
Registered

Received 21 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by Interceptor
Any idea what it would have cost to have a sanctioning body document the run ? APBA, UIM ?
I think it is around $3k plus pay for the Travel expenses of the officials. And lots of paperwork to be sent in. They would also have to pass inspections. Lots of safety requirements. Real life jackets and helmets to start with. Life Raft required, etc...

I have heard they asked about it, and decided that it was too much trouble, did not want to wear helmets, and they wanted to do it on their own rules.

I have inquired about shortening the Golden Gate to Queen Mary run this Sept. "Ocean Cup event" ( Nor-Cal to So-Cal) Running it from Morrow Bay to Queen Mary apprx 200miles vs 415miles so I could make it without a fuel stop. The extra cost to do that to have set up the record attempt was not worth it. So, if I do the full run, I will have to stop for fuel. Then, when you stop for fuel, it becomes a "record with assist". Still a real world record, but it will have an asterisk next to it.

Michael

Last edited by LIQUID THUNDER; 07-11-2023 at 10:00 AM.
Old 07-11-2023, 10:01 AM
Registered

Received 793 Likes on 448 Posts

Originally Posted by Plowtownmissile;4872927
I'd been more impressed if they beat Howard Arnesons record from New Orleans to St. Louis. No ones had the balls to beat it yet all these decades later. [url
https://www.howardarneson.com/articles/fireonmiss.asp.
Is it even possible with the changes on the river in 32 years (33 in Sept) ? Just the increase in traffic alone would hinder an attempt I would think much less locks and flood control added over the years
The following 2 users liked this post by speicher lane:
flat rate (07-11-2023), Twin O/B Sonic (07-11-2023)
Old 07-11-2023, 12:22 PM
Registered

Received 155 Likes on 71 Posts

Originally Posted by speicher lane
Is it even possible with the changes on the river in 32 years (33 in Sept) ? Just the increase in traffic alone would hinder an attempt I would think much less locks and flood control added over the years
Someone can correct me if I'm wrong but there's still no locks until St. Louis which is why the race went to St. Louis. The river traffic should actually be less considering how much the US has shifted to truck freight in the past 30 years.
The following users liked this post:
Twin O/B Sonic (07-11-2023)
Old 07-11-2023, 12:39 PM
Registered

Received 38 Likes on 18 Posts

I was pretty surprised with the lack of info shared as well, GPS tracks would be incredibly simple. As well as the pivot to setting a bunch of new records when they failed to achieve the one they set out for. I am sure there will be several fun videos of the endeavor, and he is keeping things mum to drive traffic for that. I hope this inspires more people to try this stuff, seems like it would be really fun.
Old 07-11-2023, 01:17 PM
Registered

Received 1,329 Likes on 742 Posts

Originally Posted by LIQUID THUNDER
I think it is around $3k plus pay for the Travel expenses of the officials. And lots of paperwork to be sent in. They would also have to pass inspections. Lots of safety requirements. Real life jackets and helmets to start with. Life Raft required, etc...

I have heard they asked about it, and decided that it was too much trouble, did not want to wear helmets, and they wanted to do it on their own rules.

I have inquired about shortening the Golden Gate to Queen Mary run this Sept. "Ocean Cup event" ( Nor-Cal to So-Cal) Running it from Morrow Bay to Queen Mary apprx 200miles vs 415miles so I could make it without a fuel stop. The extra cost to do that to have set up the record attempt was not worth it. So, if I do the full run, I will have to stop for fuel. Then, when you stop for fuel, it becomes a "record with assist". Still a real world record, but it will have an asterisk next to it.

Michael
Do they subtract the amount of time for the fuel stop or is it added in?
Old 07-11-2023, 02:09 PM
Registered

Received 21 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by Wildman_grafix
Do they subtract the amount of time for the fuel stop or is it added in?
It is continuous time, from start to finish.

I was told that the UIM / ABPA records from Point to Point are non-stop events or if you need assist, it is marked. The very long distance runs that do require stops, are listed as Genius World Records, and you can stop for fuel or assistance as needed and not be penalized for it. As long as you go in same boat on the water from point to point of the listed record run. Something like that, I am sure there are a few more rules to it.

That is what is off about Howe's distance and time: 1,790 miles and claimed 70.17mph average speed - that is not how records are calculated. It is not moving average speed, it is total distance divided by total time. So, his average speed would be listed at 23.2 mph. I know he read his GPS and it said moving time was 25 hours and average speed was 70mph. But that is not how records are listed.

It is a cool thing that they did that run and set some "records". I am not sure the records that they beat were Official Records either. Was the Fountain 2003 record run from Hatters, NC to NYC listed as an Official Record? They are claimed records or known records among the boating community, but maybe not Official World Records.

I would love to try the NYC to Hatteras, NC run. Maybe Ocean Cup can get enough interest in that run to make it an Official World Record event.
Old 07-11-2023, 02:19 PM
Registered

Received 8 Likes on 4 Posts

I followed this one online. I don’t see any reason to cast doubt on it. They did go live when they took off in front of the Statue of Liberty and live when they got to Florida. Not sure how or why they would fake it. I had my doubts when they took off but if they didn’t have weather in Florida I think they would have pulled it off. They took the risk going not sanctioned so not sure if it counts as any type of official record but seemed like a pretty awesome effort.
Old 07-11-2023, 02:32 PM
Registered

Received 341 Likes on 119 Posts

Hats off to them for piloting an Offshore boat from Maine to Miami. Not your average boaters by any means. I admire them.
The following 6 users liked this post by Marginmn:
1983ScarabIII (07-11-2023), Indy (07-11-2023), Jupiter Sunsation (07-12-2023), Menage_Aqua (08-08-2023), techman (07-11-2023), Wildman_grafix (07-11-2023)

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.