Who taught you to drive a boat???

Notices

Who taught you to drive a boat???

Old 01-14-2003, 02:05 PM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

IDRPSTF-

Sean is now rolling on the ground laughing. That was some funny chit. See so maybe I was smart asking for outside help.

Terra
Old 01-14-2003, 02:24 PM
Registered

Mainly self taught and boat friends.
The seller from my first boat purchase 25'SeaRay, 5 years ago showed me a few basics on my initial water test. Jumped right into it. Love the water!
Old 01-14-2003, 02:42 PM
Registered

first drove a 10 or so foot aluminum with a 9.9 on back..... loved speed then too, soon as dad and uncle sat back down, the thing was wot through a no wake zone

on a boat with a steering wheel, dad taught me light basics, i learned the rest from sites like this and by experience.
Old 01-14-2003, 02:43 PM
Forum Regulator
VIP Member

Received 1,195 Likes on 519 Posts

Dad taught me the do's and don'ts in the 1969 Imp i/o with a 305 Chevy and an OMC Drive. Believe it or not, he bought that boat new; sold it in 1973, and bought back in 1978. He kept that boat in MINT condition until he sold it in the summer of 2002. He went home and "threw rocks at it" after the SML Poker Run, 2002, (lots of fun and LOTS of HP).

CheckmateF1/Eric Garrett is who I credit with teaching me about a high performance boating. He taught me trim settings and handling, and between the two of us, we found the limits of both of our boats. Thanks again Eric.
Old 01-14-2003, 02:46 PM
Registered

Although I taught myself how to drive a boat on my 31' IMP Elaganza(first boat). It was really easy............floor it and stay out of water more than in the water, but take your time docking. See I found it to be a much smoother ride, when keeping up with the big boys, by just keeping it hammered down. Then I realized that my boat wasn't strog enough to do that for very long and the ride was rough as **** when going slower than the already slow boat could

So I stepped up to the plate and bought a 38'. The ride became twenty times better, but I had instantly lost all docking skills and had to figure out a whole new method. For the next two weekends in the new boat, I ALMOST wanted to step back down, but then all of a sudden I was now putting that in places w/ only forty feet of room so I was like...........COOL i CAN do this!

But now I must learn to trailor it All the way to Havasu when I have never pulled anything EXCEPT the empty trailor for the IMP over maybe two miles.

Well this should be a lot of fun!
And I am looking forward to the challenge as I will go slow and take my time. Thats been the best for me to learn things is just to do it .
Old 01-14-2003, 02:54 PM
Registered

Who taught me to drive a boat...me. Who taught me to control and dock a boat...let's just say it was a self-taught crash course consisting of alot of bent props, concrete, metal and fiberglass shavings!

Ricochet.
Old 01-14-2003, 04:07 PM
Uncle Toys

Self taught (so far). Dad taught me how to play golf, never boated. Whenever I got on someone’s boat, I just really focused on what they were doing. That and I asked a lot of questions on OSO and got a lot of great advice – especially from Phillip!

Best advice so far:
* Take it slow.
* The weather is what’s in front of you, not what the weather man told you.
* Count the bodies on your boat before starting the engine.
* At the end of the day, its my responsibility everyone gets home safe.

Old 01-15-2003, 06:49 AM
Registered

My Dad taught me the basics of boating in our 18' Redfish with the 100hp Merc outboard. Some of the best times of my life were hanging out with him at LOTO driving around in the main channel early in the morning. Long before the giant boat invasion

My skills grew from there and now you should see me back out 11'8 beam boat into that 12' wide slip.........It has provided some good comic relief too.

Old 01-15-2003, 11:15 AM
Registered

who taught me to drive... daddy little bit from my uncle with hemi jetboat and the other uncle with v-drive. After I bought my first boat back in 1998 ( century CTS ski boat) learned ski boats were no fun and very slow But it was a learning experiance, got most of my boat fixing/building skill with that boat, stringers, floors, carpet, interiour and painting.. But after that phase of getting passed by every boat, now I have problem child to keep my occupied, she's a handful lets just say I don't get passed much anymore

But over the years I have learned alot more, and learned from mistakes too. Now I can say I can out drive my hero on some days
Old 01-15-2003, 12:06 PM
Registered

Dad taught me in a 16' Aluma-Craft with a 5hp Johnson outboard....worked my way up to the speed boat as I grew older.....have had boats in my blood every since,....my wife doesn't quite understand it still......I'm a Aqua-Holic!.....Fred

Quick Reply: Who taught you to drive a boat???

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.