Old 08-26-2003, 07:43 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 30 Likes on 15 Posts

Spoken as a true gentlemen, well put...
Old 08-26-2003, 08:08 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

(Sorry if this is a double post - my computer- or operator error - occasionally won't let my previous post show up)

So on the topic of these rocket ships....how in hell do you guys lucky enought to drive them regularly not run over more, or do you? It is tricky enough to see lobster pots, oyster bed stakes, etc. etc. at 65-70mph much less 150 mph and faster. I've also come across some kayaks waaaay off shore that can hide behind decent sized waves pretty well. Or perhaps some HUUUGE barge or cruiser wake that has to launch even a 40 foot boat pretty well. Are these something you get used to and your reflexes just adjust to? It seems like you would be over something before you realized it.

P.S. - I'd love a ride if anyone wants to show me
Old 08-26-2003, 08:12 PM
VIP Member
VIP Member

Default Hey Scott

Maybe my DOG will catch you boat! Another way of thinking of the "DOG CATCHER"!! Keep you tail down
Old 08-26-2003, 09:11 PM
Registered

Default Controversy

Please do not delete this post! It would seem that Nortech and Outerlimits compete for a very small customer base. When a manufacture does a very poor job, word travels fast. When you sell a brand new boat to a customer you should care how you and your product are perceived. My friends recently took delivery of a 2003 36 Nortech Cat, a 2003 50 Nortech V, another 50 Nortech V being currently built, and a new 37 Quad Step Outerlimits with 675 Eckerts.
Old 08-27-2003, 07:22 AM
T2x
Allergic to Nonsense
Platinum Member

Received 17 Likes on 17 Posts

Originally posted by Troutly
JROMY,

I can remember waaaaaaaay back in the day when I first started watching offshore racing. I recall comments being made that in the real rough stuff the v-hull was faster then the cats that were being built and raced way back then on the waters they ran. I'm sure T2x and others can fill me in if my feeble mind has slipped

For the record...... I announced races from 1981-2001...and I NEVER said that. The whole concept of "Cat water"...and "vee bottom water" made me want to barf.

Cats became dominant in most conditions by the mid 80's......... and vee classes were separated as a result. To this day you will not see a vee race a cat of similar size with the same power in any water conditions on any race course. Vees outsell cats and therefore have the benefit of more grass roots fans and larger marketing budgets. In addition they are more apt to offer "potty points" and sleeping accomodations, so the nod goes to them as a family boat..... Unfortunately the uninformed have fallen for the misinformation regarding vee performance prevalent in today's advertizing. (Powerboat tests a 2000 hp 36 vee in the same issue as a twin outboard 32' cat and calls it "War of the 100 mph club" or some nonsense......check who has the largest advertizing dollars in the mag before reading)

Bottom line:
Well designed cats are 30% .......That's THIRTY PERCENT faster than a comparable vee of the same length and power. This translates to 30% more fuel economy.....30% faster to your destination...30% less time in sloppy water....etc etc. In addition they frequently fly over mixed chops that vee bottoms ricochet through......... and cats don't pound the occupants senseless in the process.

About the best you can say in a true comparison is that one vee is 28% less efficient than a (good) cat , while another might be 35%.

T2x
Old 08-27-2003, 09:08 AM
T2x
Allergic to Nonsense
Platinum Member

Received 17 Likes on 17 Posts

Originally posted by Troutly
T2x,

Were you the only one doing the annoucing for all those years?

Certainly not...and I never said that....but I also never echoed the "cat water" babble that the other guys used as filler when in fact they had nothing else to say.

As far as personal preferences vee versus cat......you are correct......but the speed and fuel economy numbers are simply factual....and rarely, if ever, presented to the public. Certainly not by Vee bottom manufacturers....nor the media( print or electronic) that "enjoys" their sponsorship

T2x
Old 08-27-2003, 09:10 AM
Geronimo36
Gold Member

Received 131 Likes on 36 Posts

Originally posted by Shanghied Again
I know of a 37 with 900s that will run 115, not a 42.

Extreme Dream ran 118 with 1200s and 6 drives and she was a 42.

A 42 with 900s would run about 105. I would have your gps checked. Don't get me wrong O/L makes a beautiful boat.

But if I was in the market for speed, Give me a 36ft cat with 600s and I will hit 120 at 5200rpms.

I just have a problem with a boat that costs 600,000 and a 60,000 engine that may last one Poker Run.
My buddy has a 42' OL with Twin 1000's and he is getting 109 out of it. I would find it hard to believe that with 900's it went 115?

I have heard excellent things about both boats, it is a matter of preference and what your needs are.
Old 08-27-2003, 09:29 AM
Charter Mod
Charter Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally posted by Panther
My buddy has a 42' OL with Twin 1000's and he is getting 109 out of it. I would find it hard to believe that with 900's it went 115?

Yeah, my buddies old 37 w/900's was getting 110. No way a 42 w/900's can get 115.
Old 08-27-2003, 09:44 AM
Registered

Originally posted by T2x
For the record...... I announced races from 1981-2001...and I NEVER said that. The whole concept of "Cat water"...and "vee bottom water" made me want to barf.

Cats became dominant in most conditions by the mid 80's......... and vee classes were separated as a result. To this day you will not see a vee race a cat of similar size with the same power in any water conditions on any race course. Vees outsell cats and therefore have the benefit of more grass roots fans and larger marketing budgets. In addition they are more apt to offer "potty points" and sleeping accomodations, so the nod goes to them as a family boat..... Unfortunately the uninformed have fallen for the misinformation regarding vee performance prevalent in today's advertizing. (Powerboat tests a 2000 hp 36 vee in the same issue as a twin outboard 32' cat and calls it "War of the 100 mph club" or some nonsense......check who has the largest advertizing dollars in the mag before reading)

Bottom line:
Well designed cats are 30% .......That's THIRTY PERCENT faster than a comparable vee of the same length and power. This translates to 30% more fuel economy.....30% faster to your destination...30% less time in sloppy water....etc etc. In addition they frequently fly over mixed chops that vee bottoms ricochet through......... and cats don't pound the occupants senseless in the process.

About the best you can say in a true comparison is that one vee is 28% less efficient than a (good) cat , while another might be 35%.

T2x
what size does this go into effest at, I know smaller (like 21-24) cats can't handle rearly as rough water as a comperable vee. Also in big water isn't there a safety factor to be considered, A cat may handle the waves smoother than a vee but I'd rather get beat up than blow over. Please shed some light on this for me. Thanks,
Martin.
Old 08-27-2003, 12:42 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

That depends on what kind of 21-24 tunnel. Typical cats in that size range have a lot lower freeboard than V's. But not the case in the old 24 Skaters, I would much prefer that over a V in that class. I have not heard of many Pleasure Cats blowing over. This is a huge misconception about cats.

Quick Reply: nortech

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.