Like Tree0Likes

are pleasure boats running too fast?

Old 03-04-2004, 02:39 PM
Registered

Quote:
Originally posted by C_Spray

Case in point: If you violate NJPPC policies during a club event, you get (A) dressed down by the club president, who is 6'8", (B) sent home for the day and your money refunded, and/or (C) kicked out of the club.

Guess what? There are virtually NO disciplinary problems in the NJPPC. Imagine that.
This has more to do with the caliber of people that belong to the NJPPC then due to the rules. If you abolished all the rules today you still wouldn't see a change in behavior. Besides, you can't screw around when everyone carries a bat

No matter how hard you try, you can't regulate stupidity out of people.
Old 03-04-2004, 03:19 PM
Diamond Member #001
Charter Member
Trade Score: (2)

My Boats: 2000 Formula 382 with Innovation 600's

Actually. It probably has more to do with DaveP being 6'8". And big...... The rules/enforcement serve as a filter, so it can be a "chicken-and-egg" sort of thing.

No, you can't regulate the stupidity. But you can ban it.....
Old 03-04-2004, 07:53 PM
Registered

My Boats: Whatever you missed your payment on

Quote:
You are going to open a big can of worms you can't close if boat licensing is implemented. Why do you insist on getting government involved in this? Once they sink their hooks into something, they just get deeper and more intrusive ever year with increased fees and lower speed limits. How would you like a law stating that 65 is the maximum legal limit? What makes you think they would allow speed limits higher than the highways? You just bought that brand new Outerlimits with twin 1300 Sterlings. What are you going to do with that power? This would spell the end of all poker runs because you would have bowriders keeping up with you. I'm telling you that the licensing idea is a BAD one and it WILL lead to speed limits. It ain't worth having something in your wallet to be proud of.

Aircraft require a license, and do not have speed limits (Except for certain airspace in or around high flow airports). Why would boating differ?
And some lakes already have speed limits, do we honestly fallow them. I knew a very good man that died running over 100MPH on a 15 MPH lake.
I am only wishing we had licensing so people would need to "Learn" to boat. And have the privilege revoked if our behavior was less than acceptable.
Will this end Poker Runs?
No!
But we all know what will. Accidents, death, injury, leading to lack of insurance and nobody can afford to organize them.
What will lower the costs of insurance and injuries? Training.

Let me give an example of how apathy leads to lack of training which leads to accidents, leading to death, leading to insurance going up, leading to an industry dying:
Cropdusters! FAA and government officials didn't really intervene.
Old timers took all the jobs and never trained any new guys, most never carried a license (Didn't have time, didn't want to make time). New guys try-ed to train themselves or went to expensive B.S. schools, New guys made rookie mistakes and crashed, You hardly ever walk away from a cropduster crash. So many Died, Insurance companies kept paying out on losses and raised rates, now Cropdusting is becoming a thing of the past. VERY FAST!

How does this apply? And how far are we in the hole?
Government has yet to intervene,
Training for Go Fast boats is hardly available (Except some dealers whom my hat is off to.) New boaters are training themselves to push the limits, People are making mistakes and crashing, Getting hurt and dying, Insurance companies are raising rates, and what comes next?

So the answers in my worthless opinion:
1. Governing
2. Training
3. Licensing

I have been watching friends die in both Cropdusting and boating, I wonder why, whenever a new one goes, but come up with the same answers on how it could have been changed.
Old 03-04-2004, 08:06 PM
Registered

Quote:
Losers should pay for all attorneys.
The Loosers arent always the guilty. Look at the poor Brown family in the Simpson trial. Justice is flawed.
Come on out to California and we'll teach you what suing is all about! Hell, we sue for sport!!!!

I hate to say it, but its better to have a law set in stone than let lawyers and sue happy morons argue over what should be a law.
Old 03-04-2004, 08:10 PM
GLH
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

My Boats: Azimut

Quote:
Originally posted by T2x
Even when one is not culpable in a liability suit..... one has to hire a lawyer at his own (non reimbursable) expense to prove it.
Losers should pay for all attorneys.

I moved to the US because it is the best place with the most freedom in the world, and that is the ONLY flaw in US society once this is fixed all wil be well.

Quote:
Originally posted by William Shakespear in King Henry the Sixth, Act IV. Scene II.
Dick the butcher. "The first thing we do, letís kill all the lawyers."
Old 03-04-2004, 08:13 PM
GLH
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by IDRPSTF
The Loosers arent always the guilty. Look at the poor Brown family in the Simpson trial. Justice is flawed.
Come on out to California and we'll teach you what suing is all about! Hell, we sue for sport!!!!
Heee...... they state of California lost not the Browns. get it right. What do you expect from Goverment employees... you think they work there because they can excel it in the private sector and earn a living???? NOT
Old 03-04-2004, 08:17 PM
GLH
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Quote:
Come on out to California...
No thanks. The only good thing that has ever came out of CA is the SCOPE crew, their beautiful women and Highway 15!
Old 03-04-2004, 09:32 PM
Registered

My Boats: 1998 Wellcraft 22' Scarab

Quote:
Aircraft require a license, and do not have speed limits (Except for certain airspace in or around high flow airports). Why would boating differ?
And some lakes already have speed limits, do we honestly fallow them. I knew a very good man that died running over 100MPH on a 15 MPH lake.
I am only wishing we had licensing so people would need to "Learn" to boat. And have the privilege revoked if our behavior was less than acceptable.
Will this end Poker Runs?
No!
But we all know what will. Accidents, death, injury, leading to lack of insurance and nobody can afford to organize them.
What will lower the costs of insurance and injuries? Training.

Let me give an example of how apathy leads to lack of training which leads to accidents, leading to death, leading to insurance going up, leading to an industry dying:
Cropdusters! FAA and government officials didn't really intervene.
Old timers took all the jobs and never trained any new guys, most never carried a license (Didn't have time, didn't want to make time). New guys try-ed to train themselves or went to expensive B.S. schools, New guys made rookie mistakes and crashed, You hardly ever walk away from a cropduster crash. So many Died, Insurance companies kept paying out on losses and raised rates, now Cropdusting is becoming a thing of the past. VERY FAST!

How does this apply? And how far are we in the hole?
Government has yet to intervene,
Training for Go Fast boats is hardly available (Except some dealers whom my hat is off to.) New boaters are training themselves to push the limits, People are making mistakes and crashing, Getting hurt and dying, Insurance companies are raising rates, and what comes next?

So the answers in my worthless opinion:
1. Governing
2. Training
3. Licensing

I have been watching friends die in both Cropdusting and boating, I wonder why, whenever a new one goes, but come up with the same answers on how it could have been changed.
That's all fine and good but when reading about the latest tragedies the media harps on "excessive speed" (or another relative term) All the capital has to do is understand that it wouldn't have happened if their speed were governed and BOOM there you have it: speed limits. Please don't get me wrong, I mean no disrespect to your opinion but I would rather insurance companies stand up and say no insurance till training is complete. That I can live with. All your going to do with licensing is cost yourself money for no reason and it will not make our sport safer in anyway.

Roby
Old 03-05-2004, 09:05 PM
Registered

Insurance companies will not say "No insurance until training is complete". Because at this time, formal training is not available. And those who do train, it is not under any code or quality supervisor.
It takes big jeuvos to stand off to the left of the drivers seat and reach across and throttle AT 70 mph. The boats would have to be built for training. When I was at DSM, I put together a package on all costs for a weekend course. The insurance was huge, and honestly, nobody seemed too interested in doing it. Stinsen and I were the only two that showed any concern for what was a very obvious problem.
Old 03-05-2004, 09:49 PM
Registered

...And honestly, I don't think the insurance companies really care about training. Look at the thread I started on obtaining a Captain's License. Didn't help or hurt anyone's insurance. WTF? How could someone that had gone through all that training be a risk? Well, they probably aren't, but they still need insurance, so why not rape them? Who is going to stand up for a bunch of (perceived) overpaid playboys running around in exotic boats filled with beautiful women, living the life that they wish they had as they sit behind their desks and raise our insurance rates through the roof. We're on our own on this one....