NY Reality Check

Old 06-24-2004, 12:51 AM
OSO Content Provider
Commercial Member

Received 49 Likes on 23 Posts
Default Re: NY Reality Check

The NJPPC Philadelphia Poker Run the weekend after 9-11-2001
Attached Thumbnails NY Reality Check-sharky1.jpg  

Digital Photography & Video one BYTE at a time !
Old 06-24-2004, 06:43 AM
WickedWon

Just a final thought from me. I've been going to offshore races since the very early 80's, not for the racing ( hell, there wasn't much you could actually see) but to observe and learn from the hardware and what survived the day. My interest in serious poker run rigs was triggered the first time I saw Smok'n Joe, from that moment everything changed for me. That boat was built to be fast and safe ( all things considered) yet it wasn't a "race" boat. I guess things haven't changed today all that much except, to see the baddest, fastest, most exotic hardware in this country you no longer go to the races but instead attend a couple of the big poker runs where the only limits are the imagination and money ( God bless America ) I started this thread to get the pulse of why more and more runs are being canceled cause that's my real concern, believe it or not, people have accused me of "taking the fun out it for them" by raising the bar with my turd . It looks to me that , for the most part, it's not about the hardware, (they dig drooling over it as I did with Smok'n Joe and still do when I look at pics from NY), but more about the increasing entry fee's. As long as there is real interest, somebody's gonna figure out how to get the entry fee's down and still make money ( more real sponsorships, fee's based on boat size or speed, food on a buy what ya want basis, pay at the door parties, smaller hand awards, hell I don't know???) bottom line, fee's are more easily changed than attitudes so somebody figure it out so I still have a chance to run beside Fiore for a moment and then enjoy watching him "leave"

Old 06-24-2004, 07:48 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I would love to have participated in the NY poker run,, but being from new york, I didn't need a slip, didn't need any accomodations, could care less about the crappy party and the awful food .. I guess if they had a seperate fee for people who ONLY wanted to do the run, that would be great..
Old 06-24-2004, 10:48 AM
Registered

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Wicked Won, you hit the nail right on the head. The Performance Boat Club of Canada poker runs usually have a 30 to 40 dollar entry fee. 25% goes to the poker pot, 25% to administrative costs and 50% to a charity. We try to keep the food to a " buy what you want deal" and try to get some small sponsorship $$ to help offset any costs. Its amazing but people with a few hundred grand tied up in their boat can still have as much fun as the guy with 20 grand floatin under him. Somewhere along the way, the idea of the FUN aspect was set aside for the $$ aspect. I dont really care about winning any money, thats not why I am there, I care about running my boat with other perf boaters and having a fun day on the water. Period.

Last edited by Airpacker; 06-24-2004 at 07:21 PM.
Old 06-24-2004, 11:18 AM
AT Cult Member #3
VIP Member

Received 8 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Airpacker
I care about running my boat with other perf boaters and having a fun day on the water. Period.
Well said AP!! I'm going to start doing some of the CBPBA runs......am I allowed Ted? Will Velocity Mike be there? If so I may not go ...he worries me!!
Old 06-24-2004, 02:18 PM
Geronimo36
Gold Member

Received 131 Likes on 36 Posts

Originally Posted by R Addiction
28 apache with 600 horse 509's. Hit a hole at 80+ came down on it's starboard side and ejected four of the five on the boat. Other guys were also hurt, broken legs and jaws, blown out knees. To much friggin' traffic in that harbor!!
That was a while back, but I thought your accident was'nt during the run. I thought it was before, or maybe it was after the run, no?

Anyway, seems like Apache's are cursed in NY. I think I am changing my decision on a new boat....
Old 06-24-2004, 04:49 PM
Xtreme Cooler Test Dumby
Platinum Member

As far as "the bar being raised"....Reminds me of the pro sports paycheck battles. Remember there is a reason that the the "bar" was able to be elevated to almost untouchable levels...because we all let it. Put a realistic speed cap on these events and you'll see a more enjoyable event. Treat all registrants the same and you'll maintain a fun sport (poker runs) for years to come. Treat the little guy like **** and you will eventually end up with a bunch of overinflated ego driven rich guy's, that don't give to ****s about the sport. Most of whom don't even know how to operate a boat safely or with the proper federal guidelines set forth. On occasion I get this feeling when I read articles about 47ft. Fountains in the woods or 38 Cigs barrel rolling or 36 ft. Apachies or etc. etc. I know accidents happen but would the same accident happen at 70mph? Obviously my statements don't apply to everybody..... Next time your at a Big show like NYC or Alex Bay when your strolling the dock drolling, ask the owner how long he's been into boating. Remember his answer next time he blows by at 130mph. Makes you want to enter a Poker Run with your 70mph boat doesn't it? Just my 2c.
Old 06-24-2004, 07:02 PM
Charter Member
Charter Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by R Addiction
Well said AP!! I'm going to start doing some of the CBPBA runs......am I allowed Ted? Will Velocity Mike be there? If so I may not go ...he worries me!!
Bring it on buddy In fact Mikey is going to be warming us all up for the Leukemia Run tommorow night at Mike's Crab House

http://www.cbpba.com/forums/showthre...?postid=17676\

Everyone is welcome at our events, but you must join to participate and supply a copy of your insurance declaration page.

Over 63 boats so far and likely 20 more on Saturday, the Leukemia Society is gonna do well this year!
Old 06-24-2004, 07:55 PM
Registered

I LOVE seeing the BIG boys and their hardware, but that does NOT IN THE LEAST discourage me. As long as they respect my little dingy that is all that matters. What does discourage me is the large entries fees and lousy food etc. That's why I pick and choose the runs I "enter" vs. just attend.
Old 06-24-2004, 08:32 PM
Registered

OK, so why doesn't someone that puts on Poker Runs contibute to this thread? I agree that fees are too steep, like CASHBAR said, Lake Lanier Poker Run was $150.00 for capt. & 1st mate then $35.00 per person after that, now FPC steps in and the fee goes to $400.00 + $50.00 for extea people. We used to do the run on the SeaRay and take 10 to 14 people, that would be somewhere around $1000.00 for the run, to ride around on my home lake, I think NOT! I'll just stick to riding around with Ms. Demi in her APACHE, if I ever get the F'n thing put back together.

Robert

P.S. I think I'm done with all these poker runs anyway!

Quick Reply: NY Reality Check

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.