Notices

boat ramps

Old 02-10-2005, 10:50 PM
Registered

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Default boat ramps

let's here your boat ramp story.
heres mine. after a great day at the race's late 80's
grand haven,mi apba national event 10' sea's lot's of big air.
the race is over i look to my left and sheri ( girl firend at the time) is green sea sick and ready for land. after working are way in with way to many boats we find are way to the boat ramp. oh great saturday afternoon at the ramp with no one that knows how to use a ramp. pull up to the dock drop the drive off back away, not happening. 12 - 15 boats ahead of us sheri chewing on my ear it's time to make a move. i know my 4 x 4 dualy can pull my old 19' hot rod out of any thing. i go for the dirt next to the ramp. now people are yelling but so is sheri she's had enuff boating for one day. i back in pull the boat threw the weeds and no way can i pull this off. the boat comes off the trailer i put it in gear and i'm stuck with a cheering section. now my wallets $50 bucks short, my oil cooler is full of mud, my ear is chewed off and there is still 12 - 15 ahead of me. i still think about this and laugh my a$$ off.
ok let hear our's
todd
Old 02-10-2005, 11:03 PM
Masher touches my
Gold Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: boat ramps

I actually witnessed a guy and his 17 year old son putting there 21' bayliner in the water. The dad got out and climbed in the boat after he had gotten the boat in the water, the kid put it in reverse by mistake, panicked and ended up jumping out of the truck as the truck and trailer went under water and floated under the dock. The kid was standing on the ramp and the dad was watching from his boat as his truck and trailer sunk. It was kinda funny and sad at the same time, no body was hurt except the kids pride. I'm sure he had some explaining to do to his insurance company.
Old 02-10-2005, 11:09 PM
Registered

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

priceless!!!!!
Old 02-11-2005, 07:16 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I had been asked by my brother's wife (my brother and I no longer speak) to go with them to a sea trial of a 22 ft. Rinker. It was to be my brother's second boat. We meet at the Nokomis Ramp. Now one thing I've learned in life is "if it ain't yours, don't touch it". Saves a lot of grief.

Anyway as the guy is backing the boat down the ramp, my brother, whose first boat was on a bunk trailer, started to reach to unhook the bow hook. I had noticed that this boat was on a roller trailer. I holler at him, "I wouldn't do that just yet", and he turned around and snapped at me to quit bossing him around. My brother is one of those people who knows everything, if you don't believe him, just ask him. Anyway, I shut up. So my brother unhooks the bow hook, and the boat rolls off the trailer and BANG, it hits about three ft. short of the water line, crunching the skeg and propeller, real good.

From the dock I hollered out "uh, you missed the water", and just walked away shaking my head. Passing my brother I just said "smooth move Exlax", climbed in my truck and drove away leaving him to deal with the extremely irate boat owner.

He bought the boat.
Old 02-11-2005, 07:38 AM
A to Z
Platinum Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

i try to keep my ramp time limited, boat stays on the lift most of the time.... but i like to watch the show every once and a while... it is always good for a laugh.
Old 02-11-2005, 07:50 AM
Registered

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by Sean H
i try to keep my ramp time limited, boat stays on the lift most of the time.... but i like to watch the show every once and a while... it is always good for a laugh.
Masher said your the show.
Old 02-11-2005, 08:10 AM
Charter Member
Charter Member

Received 46 Likes on 31 Posts

If you ever find your way to Ocean City, Maryland, there is a nice public ramp on the commercial fishing harbor in West Ocean City. If you sit across the harbor and eat lunch on the upper deck at Captain's Galley Restaurant, it it a great show. Great crabcakes and free hilarious entertainment!

Driver - High's Fuel Your Journey Cigarette Racing Team #598
Old 02-11-2005, 08:16 AM
VIP Member
VIP Member

Received 1,295 Likes on 449 Posts

I had a scare when I first got my 311. had the drives up and forgot to check them and turned the wheel, kinked one of the hydraulic lines, and the fluid went right out. As I was backing out. put drives down and had no steering. my daughter didnt say a word, she just reached down and put on her life jacket, she was stowing a line as I was backing up. Nothing worse than trying to get close to a dock with no steering. thank god we werent out farther. No damage other than the replaced line. I got one with a bigger end this time.
Old 02-11-2005, 09:51 AM
Registered

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I think the stupidest thing I ever did was to look at a faster/bigger boat. Those who fail to remember the past are doomed to repeat it! That may be the good side!
Tim T.

Oh, one other time (someone who looked exactly like me with same boat truck etc.) was camping from the boat at a reservoir. Wife and I decided to go to town for a hot meal and supplies so we put the boat back on the trailer with the intention of leaving the boat at the ramp lot and just taking the truck to town. Ever been to one of those mystery spots where everything uphill looks down hill and so? This ramp had trees that were bowed from the wind. The lot was long flat (or so I thought) and smooth. So there I am unhooking the boat from the truck and the coupler gets stuck on the hitch so I jump up and down on the step bumper. Eventually it comes unhooked and I go to step back onto the trailer and it is gone! Parking lot had an ever so slight grade to it, hardly perceptible (after three days of partying). I figure no problem just jump in the boat and grab a wheel chock. Climb up into the boat and toss out a fender or two. Jump out of the boat and place behind the wheel. Well 5600 lbs. Just flattened the fender. No biggy just get the anchor, rolled over that.

By this time the boat is going slightly faster and heading for the end of the lot about a ¼ mile away. Lots of time, consider fetching the truck decided against it. Tried skiing behind the trailer, slowed it a little but 101/2 D’s have little effect. Finally forced the tongue of the trailer at a right angle to the incline. Ah, success she is slowing down. Hey isn’t that at dually with a bass boat we are heading for? Push the tongue around the other way, now I am heading for the side of the lot with no curb and a swamp on the other side, **** back the other way! Finally got it stopped, took all of a minute. Thing that really pissed me off was the dozen or bass boaters that just stood by and watched. Never moved their Skool chomping asses to give a hand. Oh well never unhook the safety chains until you are chocked.

Tim T
Old 02-11-2005, 10:33 AM
A to Z
Platinum Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by JCPERF
Masher said your the show.

i can do a mean little boat ramp dance....

Quick Reply: boat ramps

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.