Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > Technical > General Q & A
bottom staining >

bottom staining

Notices

bottom staining

Old 06-02-2008, 08:39 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The Works from the Dollar Store $1.00 for 32oz. no pun but it works.
Old 06-02-2008, 08:51 PM
Charter Member
Charter Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Some of the cleaners like "The Works" will remove the stains, but as others have said, they will return sooner the next time.

Here is a thread from the past that talks about a pool cleaner called Ringo. I have used it with great results.

http://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/s...ad.php?t=77542
Old 06-02-2008, 08:57 PM
21 and 42 footers
Platinum Member

Received 119 Likes on 61 Posts

I've used On/off for years but cut it about 30% to 70% water. Once used, the hull WILL stain faster. I try to clean the bottom very well in the fall then put a coat of wax on the bottom sometime during the winter.....by mid-summer the stains are back so I'll on/off it again and get it waxed that same week before going out.....without that coat of wax it stains BAD!!!

Gelcoat has tiny hole that the dirty water sits in, wax just fills those holes and keeps the bottom clean until the wax wears off.
Old 06-02-2008, 09:01 PM
Registered

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by bcfountain
i think the gel-coat wears or gets porious overtime.
I agree. I don't think there is anything appreciably different in new gel coat. I agree that old gel gets porus, just like decks and hull sides, the bottom gets old and chaulky.

I've been considering sanding and buffing the bottom. However, it's a huge and ugly job. We've done small areas like the transom below the water line and damn if it doesn't stay cleaner longer than the rest of the hull. I really think that's the answer.
Old 06-02-2008, 11:10 PM
Registered

I get the yellow stains off once a year with muratic acid. And, I'm never in the water more than an afternoon at a time.
Old 06-02-2008, 11:27 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by ThirdBird
I agree. I don't think there is anything appreciably different in new gel coat. I agree that old gel gets porus, just like decks and hull sides, the bottom gets old and chaulky.

I've been considering sanding and buffing the bottom. However, it's a huge and ugly job. We've done small areas like the transom below the water line and damn if it doesn't stay cleaner longer than the rest of the hull. I really think that's the answer.
I agree if the bottom is polished it will stain less. I have noticed people use a scotch brite pad with the cleaner. BAD move it makes micro scratches and it will stain worse next time.

Just like a caulky deck holds stains the gel on the the bottom as it ages will hold it too. It just doesn't fade from uv and appears in better condition then it is. Its not the chemicals its the porosity of the gelcoat that comes from age and often sratches from scotch brite pads.
Old 06-03-2008, 12:07 AM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by formula 382 sr-1
The Works from the Dollar Store $1.00 for 32oz. no pun but it works.
ruined part of my black gelcoat, do NOT let that stuff drive, even for a second!
Old 06-03-2008, 05:46 AM
Registered

Thanx Guys Glad To Hear Im Not The Only One Dealing With This Headache!!
Old 06-03-2008, 07:25 AM
OSO Moderator
Charter Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Stop using acid based cleaners (on-off, FSR). It also attacks your gel coat. THAT is why the stain keeps coming back faster and faster. The more you acid clean - the more damage done - the faster and darker it stains.
If you can't apply it w/ bare hands and also be fume free - it is acid based. If it is at you local marine store - acid based.

You can either clear coat the bottom- no more stain or use Ringo and remove the stain while leaving your gel coat intact.

'00 Scarab Sport 302 CC
'02 Cigarette Top Gun TS
'02 PQ 340
'00 PQ 280
'98 Scarab 22
'97 Baja Outlaw 20
'72 Checkmate
'65 Glastron

Last edited by BillR; 06-03-2008 at 07:28 AM.
Old 06-03-2008, 08:38 AM
mjb
Registered

RINGO...RINGO...RINGO....the miracle cure- so they say. This issue was beat to death in a previous thread. The problem is..at least for me...that after a lot of searching, I can't find any pool cleaner dealers who sell it. Most have not even heard of it. Apparently there is a member of OSO that sells it out of his garage?? If it's so good, why is it so hard to find?? I would love to try it if I could buy it from an established dealer...not from a private party....and my appologies up front if my info is wrong.

Quick Reply: bottom staining

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.