Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > Technical > General Q & A
Baja minus hook=terrible handling >

Baja minus hook=terrible handling

Notices

Baja minus hook=terrible handling

Old 02-28-2002, 09:12 PM
Blackhawkdn

Default Hook in Baja bottoms

BAJA originally designed a hook in the bottom of their boats and also in thier strakes to allow the ease of plaining of their boat. The problem is the design was for low horse power application and low speed. With high horsepower application the boat wants to run faster so the bowl starts to lift. The hook on the other hand lowers the bowl causing the porpois effect. To eliminate the problem the bottom should be straight and also the strakes. The trailing edge of the boat should be a sharp edge for maximun performance

Old 02-28-2002, 11:56 PM
syringa

OK here's my plan> fix the damage on the bottom caused from the trailer bunks and put on a pair of Bennett Sport tabs 12"x9" What do you think? How much tab would you have to use to stop the porposing? and what would it do to speed/handling?? I am hesitant to get into major hull work for 2 reasons i don't feel comfortable to do it myself and there isn't anyone up here that i think could do a good job. Thks for any info

Old 03-01-2002, 09:11 AM
Charter Member #30
Charter Member

Received 14 Likes on 5 Posts

If you add the tabs I would think you would wan't to straighten the bottom as much as you could. What about adding a Stern Jack drive extension? This would give the boat a different feel and possibly change or help get rid of the porpoise.
Old 03-03-2002, 12:51 PM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Sy,
you've got a hot boat, some things come with hot rods. I'd keep the bottom straight and sharp in the last 4-6 feet from the back including the transom edge. Prop selection may change that porposing. My boat (22' cuddy ) had a blown smallblock alpha 25 mirage porposed quite a bit. Now procharged 502 bravo and 4 blade bravo1 prop no tabs no porpoising. I thought it would porpoise more with the extra weight but it didnt. Full hydraulic steering tightened up the whole package tremendously. I would borrow a bravo 1 prop and try it. It'll hook up real good and rip thru midrange. By the way does anyone know how to spell porpoise porpose, I'm not sure if I that looks correct? I never use that word. I've straightened both of my last 2 boats and got good results. Its a drag for sure but youll forget about it after a while. Good luck sy! got a picture of your boat? Greg