Dana Marine refuses to sell replacement parts >

Dana Marine refuses to sell replacement parts

Notices

Dana Marine refuses to sell replacement parts

Old 10-07-2008, 07:38 AM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by hillbilly24
NO business operates this way, you can't send product out without some form of payment guarantee, in this case he is offering to repair your cylinders for free so they payment he requires comes in the form of YOUR CYLINDERS, now from the dealings I have had with Dana and what I see from them around here I am willing to bet that if you were willing to place a deposit large enough to cover the cylinders, he would be willing to send you a set out and refund your deposit when he receives your old ones back. They probably have a used set around the shop that they can use as a "swing" set. Apparently you are not familiar but this is called a "core deposit" it is the standard way things work in this business. A company simply can not make a business practice of sending out parts with no payment or failed part secured prior to shipping.
Did I ask them to ship it without a deposit? In my business I deal with cross ships and core returns all the time. Just last week a cross shipped several defective pieces. There value was 25K so they simply put a 25K hold on my credit card. Everybody’s happy.

They have offered you a very fair solution and you would be foolish to not accept their offer and try and rebuild these cylinders yourself. As Chris Sunkin said, it is not a field for do it your selfers, there are some critical things that need to be checked and at the pressures that these systems operate under the repercussions of a failure can be high. I realize these are very small cylinders but the pressures are the same, there is a LOT of power packed into those little lines leading to the cylinders and within the cylinders them selves.
A good friend has a heavy equipment/ hydraulic shop in town. We don't need Danas help to fix the issue. The seals would have made it easier.

And lastly how much could your hatch weight? I get to lift them everyday at work when people bring their boats in with dead batteries and I have yet to come across one that was that big of a deal to lift and put a prop rod under, and honestly you should have a prop rod under that hatch anytime your are under it with a hydraulic hatch lift system, there is no positive lock with them unlike the electric linear actuator style. If a line or seal fails while you are under it that hatch is gonna come down on you and it is gonna hurt. If you are worried about oil dripping from the lines while the cylinders are out you can either find some caps or plugs for the lines or zip tie plastic bags around them, there are ways to deal with things like this, how do you think shops preform such repairs without making a mess of your boat?
My hatch is close to 200Ibs and you have to work against the hydraulic pressure to lift it with the bypass valve open. I'm 6'2" 200bs and I can tell you if you try to lift it by yourself you will have back issues before you’re done. I would guess your lifting about 400Ibs from an awkward position.

I don’t let anyone work on my boat anymore. On a boat like mine all they do is break things and make messes.

Either way I'm done with this. Winters coming, boating's over.
Old 10-07-2008, 08:05 AM
Banned

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by zt260
I’ve had three fail. Not a one had any corrosion. My boat is spotless. I recently replaced both with continuous duty solenoids insead of starter type and haven't had an issue since.

I'd rather you send out a cylinder and I'll return mine. You see when I work on the boat I get all the necessary parts together first. There is no way on this and lifting the hatch by hand yet again. I'll take it apart and look for a seal on my own first.
I'm wasting two weekends...I'm wasting two weekends ?? U r phuchin joking right ???? Chit breaks Dana offers to fix yours and you want them to send you a set first Buy a spare set and put them on and save the rebuilds for spares ... can never have enuf spare parts
Old 10-07-2008, 08:24 AM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by RunninHotRacing158
I'm wasting two weekends...I'm wasting two weekends ?? U r phuchin joking right ???? Chit breaks Dana offers to fix yours and you want them to send you a set first Buy a spare set and put them on and save the rebuilds for spares ... can never have enuf spare parts

Phukin A! If it took me that long to winterize and do stuff I would have spares of everything.

I am still trying to figure out how it will take an entire second weekend if he does not have the hatch rams. I guess that he has to rebuild his lower unit a second time too. Not to mention another oil change which takes all of 15 min if you have everything set up right to begin with.

Barkeep.....
Old 10-07-2008, 08:27 AM
Neno the mind boggler
VIP Member

Received 271 Likes on 96 Posts

I have had great luck with them and am continually amazed at the line of products. Very seriously considering a set of Torque Flows for my Scarab. I will continue to use them, maybe more so now.
08 OPA High Points Champion
10 OPA Class 1 National Champion ( happy now Ed! )

Last edited by glassdave; 10-07-2008 at 08:29 AM.
Old 10-07-2008, 08:42 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

In an effort to try to help out here, isn't the system still fully functional?

When you spoke with Matt, you mentioned that it was slightly dripping, but's it's been that way all summer. Can't the hatch simply be opened by pushing the switch?

Once open, get a broom handle or some other form of rod that is sized correctly,(lower than the fully lifted capacity) prop it into the hatch and open the bypass bleed valve. Let the hatch ease down into position. Remove the cylinder from the PH hinge assembly with an empty coffee can and a rag. Cylinder removal is two bolts and two lines. It should take no more than 20 minutes.

Once removed you can repair the cylinder however you wish. Our offer stands.

Once the cylinder is completed, simply re-install it, reconnect the lines, and open the hatch to get the support rod out.

I like to use fiberglass paint extention bars. There adjustable, so you can sneak them in and out easily.

I don't think it's right for us to send out a new cylinder to replace a used cylinder. We haven't seen the cylinder, and we don't know why it began leaking. The fact that it worked sucessfully for some time and than began leaking tells me something contaminated the seals.

The end result with that proposal is Dana Marine giving away a free cylinder. The cylinder you send back cannot be re-sold as new.

Last edited by dana marine products; 10-07-2008 at 10:38 AM.
Old 10-07-2008, 09:01 AM
Charter Member #1171
Charter Member

Received 21 Likes on 16 Posts

Not to stir the pot, but I have looked at these before as a great option to get that frigin ram out of the way.

I have never bothered to look at the lifting capacity, but common sence says ( the first hurdle ) that the further you mount them aft,,, the more they have to lift to get the hatch moving,,, so the guy mounts them far aft to get the highest hatch openeing possible and the rams are taxed to capacity,,,, now lets add a few seasons of water logging the hatch from climing in out of the water and suddenly they dont lift or start leaking.

For Dana to step up not knowing how they were installed or used says alot.

Secondly,,,,, I am sure Dana does not make the seals for the rams and you could outsource them cheaper then they would sell them to you and all of this could have been avoided.

I;ll even go so far as to say they look an awful lot like a Bimba cyl.
Old 10-07-2008, 09:07 AM
Registered
Platinum Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Sunkin take note on this tool!
Old 10-07-2008, 09:25 AM
Registered

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by zt260
My hatch is close to 200Ibs and you have to work against the hydraulic pressure to lift it with the bypass valve open. I'm 6'2" 200bs and I can tell you if you try to lift it by yourself you will have back issues before you’re done. I would guess your lifting about 400Ibs from an awkward position.

I don’t let anyone work on my boat anymore. On a boat like mine all they do is break things and make messes.

Either way I'm done with this. Winters coming, boating's over.
Dude ...put some ketchup on it and swallow .... Sit down and read this entire thread ...you CANNOT expect them to do more than what they have offered .... It doesnt matter what they originally offered over the phone ...Its in writing here now and take advantage of it .......good luck ....m
Old 10-07-2008, 09:34 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by offthefront
Dude ...put some ketchup on it and swallow .... Sit down and read this entire thread ...you CANNOT expect them to do more than what they have offered .... It doesnt matter what they originally offered over the phone ...Its in writing here now and take advantage of it .......good luck ....m
LMAO I think he's waiting for the DANA MOBILE SERVICE truck to show up and rebuild the cylinders and since they're already there may as well rebuild the lower unit for N/C while ct gets to shrink wrappin ... LOL
P.S. DANA Perf prods i have a leaky #6 trim cylinder can you send me a replacement and i'll box this one today

Kidding
Old 10-07-2008, 09:38 AM
Banned

[QUOTE=obnoxus;2708237]Not to stir the pot, but I have looked at these before

Secondly,,,,, I am sure Dana does not make the seals for the rams and you could outsource them cheaper then they would sell them to you and all of this could have been avoided.

Ditto on that Dennis we went to catching fluid products in tinley with the #6 cylinder and left with a huge bag of O rings,seals, for 50.00 enuf to rebuild a dozen cylinders .. Its a NO brainer

Quick Reply: Dana Marine refuses to sell replacement parts

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.