Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > Technical > General Q & A
non stop porpouse >

non stop porpouse

Notices

non stop porpouse

Old 05-19-2009, 09:27 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Fixxxer22
oh yeah, you gotta have beer. mabye i can pick up some of those cheapie electric style tabs.
I also agree with ezstriper here on the tabs. I would not recommend buying "cheapie electric sytle tabs". I own a Checkmate 259 Convincor with about 460HP (454MAG modified by Tyler Crockett). The hull would porpose like you describe especially at speeds approaching 70mph. I put on full hydraulic steering first and that helped a little. We then replaced "the cheapie electric style tabs" that came with the boat with performance hydraulic tabs from Hardin Marine. The OEM tabs Checkmate put on were nothing more than levelers if too many people were sitting on one side of the boat. The tabs would move so slow and were too short to make fine adjustments at speed. The hydraulic tabs are about 10 inches longer than the others and move fast. They really helped control the porpose and chine walk at WOT without scrubbing too much speed. That was my experience. The amount of beer on board is key in pondering a solution. Sometimes anticipating the solution is often better than finding it!
Rob
Old 05-20-2009, 01:15 AM
Charter Member # 55
Charter Member

Received 1,821 Likes on 907 Posts

The Bravo 1 does not lift the bow as much as Mirage Plus.

A Bravo 1 is a good all around prop. I have now idea why you are porpoising. My 93 24 OL never porpoised with a Bravo 1 prop.
It would porpoise in the midrange with a Mirage Plus prop, but that could easily be controlled with trim.

Try trimming it out farther using the trailer button. Baja's love lots of trim. Get some trim tabs.

I would try the 23" Mirage Plus that you can borrow.

Your propslip numbers are very high. A 24 OL with 500hp should run 70mph. I had 420 or so hp and ran a solid 65mph. I ran 60mph with a stock 454mag.
Old 05-20-2009, 08:51 AM
Registered

Originally Posted by onesickpantera
The Mirage/Mirage Plus props will carry the bow better than a Bravo prop. A stock Bravo prop lifts the stern too much.

Yes your Bravo can be reworked but do you need the 4 blade prop? If your propshaft is deep you would probably be better off with a 3 blade.
Yep
Old 05-20-2009, 09:51 AM
Registered

Originally Posted by Griff
The Bravo 1 does not lift the bow as much as Mirage Plus.

A Bravo 1 is a good all around prop. I have now idea why you are porpoising. My 93 24 OL never porpoised with a Bravo 1 prop.
It would porpoise in the midrange with a Mirage Plus prop, but that could easily be controlled with trim.

Try trimming it out farther using the trailer button. Baja's love lots of trim. Get some trim tabs.

I would try the 23" Mirage Plus that you can borrow.

Your propslip numbers are very high. A 24 OL with 500hp should run 70mph. I had 420 or so hp and ran a solid 65mph. I ran 60mph with a stock 454mag.

i bet im only at about 55 mph when it starts and i cant push through it. there is so much rpm left. im going out tonight and im gonna grab the 23 and see what happens. i will let you know.
Old 05-20-2009, 10:14 AM
Geronimo36
Gold Member

Received 131 Likes on 36 Posts

Mirage Plus, up 1-2" in current pitch to match. Also check bottom for a hook.

It's a small boat, sometimes that's just what they do. Also, a 1.50 ratio drive sometimes helps.
Old 05-20-2009, 11:05 AM
Registered

Originally Posted by Panther
Mirage Plus, up 1-2" in current pitch to match. Also check bottom for a hook.

It's a small boat, sometimes that's just what they do. Also, a 1.50 ratio drive sometimes helps.
what do you mean by hook? in the hull? its a vee all the way through. and a deep vee. and it is a 1.36 for some odd reason. i got it from the orignal owner who custom ordered it. it had a killer sound system (for 1993 lol) a 502 mag and a 1.36 so im guessing some salesperson thought they should lower the ratio for the monster 415 hp of that 502 but no tabs or hydraulic steering. just a silly setup. but for the ammount of money i have after all this i would like to take care of most of it with a prop. just need to sell some of this chit i have to get one. and like i said no one wants my 21 mirage plus.
Old 05-20-2009, 01:01 PM
Geronimo36
Gold Member

Received 131 Likes on 36 Posts

A hook is something that forms in the last couple feet of the boat during the production process. Take a yard stick or any flat edge and place it under the boat starting at the stransom. If there's a gap in the middle (transom to end of stick) you have a hook and it can cause a hull to porpoise or plow.

Sometimes a low gear ratio such as a 1.36 makes the boat ride differently than a 1.50 ratio. I don't recommend reducing the gear ratio unless you start running out of prop. Since you're running a small prop with a 500 hp (24), if you switch to a 1.50 you should be able to run a 28" prop and have better fuel efficiency and sometimes it handles the torque better allowing the boat to be trimmed properly (no porpoise).

Every hull is different so it's a crap shoot.. I would contact Baja (Fountain) and find out what drive that boat came with and what ratio they recommend, along with which style prop. Over the years manufacturers raised the X Dimension when the Bravo I props came out. If your X is set up for a Mirage (1993), it will be deeper and run best with a Mirage.

Last edited by Panther; 05-20-2009 at 01:04 PM.
Old 05-21-2009, 01:46 AM
Charter Member # 55
Charter Member

Received 1,821 Likes on 907 Posts

I had a 1993 24 Outlaw

454mag/365hp/1.5 ratio--23 Mirage plus--5050rpms=60mph
------ " 420hp------"------23 Mirage plus--5450rpms=66mph
------ " 420hp------"------24 Bravo 1------5200rpms=63mph

prop shaft was about 7-8" below the bottom of boat.
Old 05-21-2009, 08:40 AM
Registered

well, i went out last night. the water looked good. the wind was blowing against the current. there was about a 2 to 2.5 chop. with little white caps. i could not get the 23 mirage off of the warlock because the warlock is still shrink-wrapped and they used the props as a hooking point for the wrap at the stern. i did not want to mess up his wrap for my own benefit. so i go out with the B1. i took alot of the chit out from the front of the boat. i had 4 people in the cockpit. and keep in mind the water was fast water. i got 5400-5500 rpm out of it and what felt like 70. i had no gps but it was the fastest that boat has ever gone! it developed a chine walk when it got to those faster speeds. on the way home the water had calmed down but i gave it another shot and i was back in that pourpose and i did not really try and get out of it. i think a combination of the water and reduced weight made it push through that point where it starts pourposing. so a mirage plus 25 is in my future. i was on cloud 9 though. that is the absolute fastest that baja has ever gone
Old 05-21-2009, 08:42 AM
Registered

all you guys on OSO rock! thanks for the input. Anyone want a 21 mirage plus

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.