Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > Technical > General Q & A
Loose Screw fix? >

Loose Screw fix?

Notices

Loose Screw fix?

Old 04-04-2002, 07:23 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

If the bolts snug up when you tighten them, then apply a small amount of waterproof construction adhesive, like liquid nails, to the treads and re-tighten. This works great for all the screws on the boat that continually vibrate loose. It can be found in small tubes with a cap at Home depot ect. Keep it on the boat for when you find a loose screw. Hope this helps.
Old 04-05-2002, 12:10 AM
Registered

B.R.S.,
Is there a fiberglass liner in your boat?

Give the factory a call. They probably are aware of the problem and may have a good solution. Hopefully their solution isn't trading it in on a new boat!

Dan
Old 04-06-2002, 07:39 AM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

B.R.S.

I'd also recommend putting some type of silicone/epoxy in with the bolts when you reinstall. I did this with mine, and they don't move.

Doug
Old 04-06-2002, 10:31 AM
Charter Member #232
Charter Member

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

I do not recommend the T-nut deal. They are not stainless as far as I know. There is an alluminum deal that I use all the time to insert into the sound boards that I work on, I do not know what the name of them are but I will try and swing my my local hardware store and find out for you. Also would a NUT SERT work? Once you get the thing bolted in make sure your top sapport is solid and you should be ok.

The things that I think may be your ticket are alluminum and they are basically hellicoils for wood. They are make to spiral into wood and then allow you to use a machine screw. They have a allen screw deal on top fo you to put them in. Put them in with epoxy and they will NEVER come out unless your floor is rotten. I will try and get a picture as well today.

Jon
Old 04-06-2002, 06:03 PM
B.R.S.

Audiofn those things you describe sound pretts slick too. Any more info on them especially a name or manfacturer woukd be a help. They sound alot like drywall anchors. What is a nut sert? The top of the seat is through bolted and very solid. The problem is mostly the passanger side because people don't hold onto much and let the seat take most of their weight. When it gets rough the passanger is just pounding the seat back and fourth. The dash is too far away for a grab bar so whatever I do is going to have to be pretty tough.

Old 04-06-2002, 10:43 PM
Charter Member #232
Charter Member

Would you beleive that I bought the insert to take a picture and got home and I must have dropped it!!!!!! I will try again tomarrow if I get time. THe box just said wood insert on it. It was in one of those pull out carboard drawers. They go in with a allen wrench

Jon
Old 04-07-2002, 10:16 AM
Official OSO boat whore
Charter Member

Rockler carried some of those inserts for wood. I dissregarded it because it appeared to accomplish the same thing as a machine screw. I didn't see an advantage. As for the T-nuts, the standard ones are available in stainless, but that surface one isn't.
Old 04-07-2002, 10:22 AM
Charter Member #232
Charter Member

Cord I know of the inserts you are talking about and these ones are definatly different. I think that ussually the ones you are talking about are Brass? These ones are Alluminum and have these large spiral "wings" on them that bite far into the wood.