Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > Technical > General Q & A
540ci. Got questions >

540ci. Got questions

Notices

540ci. Got questions

Old 12-07-2012, 04:03 PM
Registered

Received 398 Likes on 229 Posts

I highly recommend the AFR 305's with the CNC chambers, they do the bowls also. There is nothing better for the money. I do my own gasket match and port cleanup to save money. I had my engine machinist check the heads and they were dead on, chambers were within .1cc. Call Bob Madara before you buy anything.
Old 12-07-2012, 08:27 PM
Registered
Platinum Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Kurt Hamilton
Thanks haxby
I definitely don't want to run anything other than pump gas. Like I said before the best we have here is premium 98, which is the same as your 93. I'll stick with a flat top piston
I had a look at the seakamp heat exchangers online. It says the kit is rated to 500cid, how does it go on the 540 with long periods at speed?
Thanks again for the input.
If you're gonna run your 98 then there's no problem going with the small dome and 9.8-10:1 but, if you want to run your 93 then I'd stick with the 9:1. The heat exchanger works great, it'll hold 170 degrees no matter what. These guys will run an hour WOT when they're fully loaded heading in to camp. There are quite a few other good kits available; I'm sure you'd have some locally. I've gotten some really nice stainless stuff from NZ that gets used on the Marathon race boats.
Old 12-13-2012, 01:22 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Ok. What's the difference between the dart big m sportsman and normal big m? I know sportsman has ductile main caps and big m has billet mains. Is this the only difference? Which should I be going for on this build? Are these 2 piece rear mains or 1 piece?
Also, are the je piston rings any good or should I be going total seal? If so what type ie. gapless, standard, file fit???