Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > Technical > General Q & A
....It's for certain now......meltdown !! >

....It's for certain now......meltdown !!

Notices

....It's for certain now......meltdown !!

Old 08-21-2002, 02:56 PM
Offshore Addiction

hey blown formula,the fuel all depends on how there getting the 93 octane,additives,or pure refined fuel.....the pre ignition your talking about, should be compensated by the computer on your motor(your knock sensor) which will change your timing on the fly.dont get your fuel from a station that is to remote,it sits in their tanks to long,another suggestion only,add a little octane booster to the 89to help keep the cyl temps down on your first run....something like 104 octane booster which works real good and you know what it is.....and i beleive the way mercruiser sets up most of their fuelie motors to run on 87,which means 89 is high octane!!!

Old 08-21-2002, 05:00 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Blown Formula, thanks for letting me jump in. I just wanted to be polite.

Offshore Addiction. Thanks for the info. They are Gen. 6
Old 08-21-2002, 07:39 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Offshore Addiction- I would like to disagree with you on octane. I know that some of the computers in boat were programmed incorrectly & the boat ran worse with higher octane then the 87 or 89.

As far as a carb engine & a correctly programed EFI engines the higher octane gas (taking regular gas station gas) gives one a less of a chance of detonating an engine. The higher the octane number the less chance of detonation you will have.

I may be wrong but I sure feel better that I am using 93 octane instead of 87 or 89 in my procharge blown 540.

Here is a link that was posted a while back by someone that talks about octane. gas faqs
Old 08-21-2002, 11:54 PM
Registered

This is gettin' better and better. There are a lot of issues in a "melt-down" to deal with....fuel, octane, mechanicals, etc are all good info to discuss here..... we probably all can learn something by exchanging like this...... great!!
Old 08-22-2002, 08:05 AM
Offshore Addiction

turbo jack,youre totally correct about the octane,but these guys are having trouble with the alchohol used to make the higher octane in the aeromotive pumps.....read the last post I wrote and youll see were I told them to add octane booster to the 89 octane fuel to help prevent the detonation.....even when I pull up to a race site i make bearden oil company put a test jar of fuel on the back of there truck(sunuco race fuels) to see if the fuel seperates....when I had the diaphram problem in daytona I dumped my seperator filter in a glass tube and watched it seperate...half fuel,half additives.....I was shocked,now its mandatory before it goes in my boat...Blown 540"s huh! nice, lots of torque.....around here we usually add a little 104 octane phillips racing fuel to keep us from tearing things up,takes an extra set of plugs here and there but there all running......

Old 08-22-2002, 09:42 AM
Registered

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Question

Hey TurboJack,
are you carb'd or EFI with your 540?
Just curious because I'm setting up to ProCharge my 540MPI.

BF, any word from Aeromotive yet. My pump should get there today!

Guess I'm stuck with running high octane because I'll be running a wide band O2 sensor with my ECU. Most of the good boosters have lead from what I understand??? That would be death to the sensor.

Thanks Guys,
Dave
Old 08-22-2002, 11:50 AM
Registered

I recieved my second pump from Aeromotive yesterday by FEDEX. I now have my "new" rebuilt unit AND a second pump. If the second pump does what the 1st one did, then I guess I have a problem!! Let's hope not!!
Old 08-22-2002, 09:03 PM
Registered

UPDATE

After I receiving the letter I posted from AZ Speed And Marine.
I fired of a response. This time not holding back. I wrote Jim thanks for informing as to why the aeromotive pump broke down, however your missing the point. I told him I have proof in the way of pictures clearly showing the filter was not installed.
Also that when I brought my injectors to him I clearly stated that the stuff in the envelope contained the epoxy I cleaned out of them. Anyway. today I got a call from Jim. He told me that he is going to submit a claim with his insurance co to cover his mistake.

we will see.

jdelo
Old 08-23-2002, 07:20 AM
Registered

NordicHeat- Stage V procharger with twin 450cfm carbs Running about max of 10lbs boost (8.0 compression). Getting to end of first season with setup & pretty happy with setup. Before I went with this setup I was ready to go EFI but have second thoughs now. Jetting seams pretty close. Little rich off idle, just right in midrange, & rich again on top end. I have been afraid to lean out topend anymore until I get a little more time on motor to see how it holds up.

Procharge somewere on their website had a article about the difference between carb & EFI. They say the carb motor if jetted correctly with produce more HP & hold together longer due to the carb setup helps cool the air charge better (thus more HP) than the EFI.
Old 08-23-2002, 09:52 AM
Registered

Turbo..... Yeh, I liked my carb version better also.....there was never a problem. However, if I have any more problems with this you can bet I will go back to carb's !! Of course, when & if I did that I would also have to cams and full rollers, not just lifters as Merc does it. I am hoping this latest pump solves my problem.

Quick Reply: ....It's for certain now......meltdown !!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.