Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > Technical > General Q & A
Baffled by apparent reversion issues with Lightning headers and mild cam >

Baffled by apparent reversion issues with Lightning headers and mild cam

Notices

Baffled by apparent reversion issues with Lightning headers and mild cam

Old 06-03-2014, 10:11 AM
Registered

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Borg, I'm running it now with the straight non-SC collectors and getting the same reversion. And no, Jan (assuming the guy I talked to at Lightning) did not recommend modifying them. He did recommend using silicone in the connection joint, which I was going to test before my spark plug cross-thread cluster reared its head.

Here is a picture of it showing the regular collectors. I also have some close-ups posted further up this thread.

Old 06-03-2014, 01:01 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Are you running a thermostat? my 509 had reversion issues when running on the hose and was very, very cold....it would not warm up without a thermostat. It was so bad that touching the carb was like touching an ice cube... the intake was covered in sweat as well as the risers.... freezing! this was in 70* florida weather with high humidity..... run a thermo and get some heat in the engine and see what happens?? I ended up getting some taller risers and using a thermostat at the same time and no more reversion....
Old 06-03-2014, 02:15 PM
Registered

Borg, I'm not sure how I could convert it to dry with the SC and not burn up the actuators. Those pipes would get really hot with no water going through them. Would need at least a spritz of water in there. Now I have considered installing some type of dump and sending most of the water down the Y-pipe, but I would still need a little bit in there to keep from melting hoses, flappers, actuators, etc.

It's just amazing that I am even having to talk about this. It's not like I'm running some monster cam with 260* @ .050 and 112 LSA. I guess it's just how I roll, having clusters that no one has ever seen before.
Old 06-03-2014, 04:19 PM
Registered

I thought some clarification on my cam choice might be in order. Bob M. had a customer call who was interested in having him spec a cam for him and was worried about reversion. Before anyone gets the wrong idea, I should make it clear that while this is one of Bob's custom cams, it was NOT originally ground for this application, so Bob has no part in the reversion issues with this setup. I purchased this cam from another OSO member who was running the identical cam in his 509 with good results, and the mild specs led me to believe that it would be a good choice for a silent choice setup. In fact, Bob sounded the warning (after I had already bought the cam) that he could not guarantee that this cam would not cause reversion with SC. If I had it do do over again, I would have just had Bob spec a cam for me from square one, but I kind of backed into this build. It was the classic case of one thing leading to another, instead of planning everything out from the start.
Old 06-03-2014, 04:31 PM
Fast Singles Club
Gold Member

Received 387 Likes on 156 Posts

Originally Posted by Budman II
I thought some clarification on my cam choice might be in order. Bob M. had a customer call who was interested in having him spec a cam for him and was worried about reversion. Before anyone gets the wrong idea, I should make it clear that while this is one of Bob's custom cams, it was NOT originally ground for this application, so Bob has no part in the reversion issues with this setup. I purchased this cam from another OSO member who was running the identical cam in his 509 with good results, and the mild specs led me to believe that it would be a good choice for a silent choice setup. In fact, Bob sounded the warning (after I had already bought the cam) that he could not guarantee that this cam would not cause reversion with SC. If I had it do do over again, I would have just had Bob spec a cam for me from square one, but I kind of backed into this build. It was the classic case of one thing leading to another, instead of planning everything out from the start.
Hey Budman II , your honesty is to be commended . Good karma on you !! Black cloud be gone.............
Old 06-03-2014, 04:36 PM
Fast Singles Club
Gold Member

Received 387 Likes on 156 Posts

http://www.diamondperformanceparts.c...cat=282&page=1
Old 06-03-2014, 04:43 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by Borgie
If I were you I would

1. Sell the lightnings

2. Ditch the silent choice you have

3. Run dry exhaust(no more reversion BS)

Just my two cents
4. Sell the whole ball of wax and buy a bow rider. Seriously, this thing is driving me to that point!

Seriously, there are hundreds of people running Lightnings with WAY more aggressive cams than this. Friend of mine is running them on an HP500 with no issues - has had them on there for 10 years. Maybe I'm just cursed.

Dry exhaust would be great to make everyone jump out of the water when it lights off , but it would get old in a hurry when I want to go for a cruise and people actually want to carry on a conversation.

That said, I really appreciate all the help and suggestions from you guys.
Old 06-03-2014, 06:08 PM
Registered

Received 4,326 Likes on 1,241 Posts

Old 06-03-2014, 06:42 PM
Registered

Received 87 Likes on 49 Posts

budman,if you dont have any water in the oil you are worried for nothing.unless your headers are leaking you should be good.reversion happens at idle more than at rpm so quit worring,put the engine in the boat and GO BOATING,i am 99% sure you will be ok.i have seen your cam specs and real reversion should not be an issue.
Old 06-03-2014, 06:43 PM
Registered

Received 87 Likes on 49 Posts

i forgot to ask,what rpm is the engine idleing at?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.