Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > Technical > General Q & A
Baffled by apparent reversion issues with Lightning headers and mild cam >

Baffled by apparent reversion issues with Lightning headers and mild cam

Notices

Baffled by apparent reversion issues with Lightning headers and mild cam

Old 06-03-2014, 07:04 PM
Registered

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

I agree with Mike .If you are getting a teaspoon of water in the bottom of headers after shutdown, could just be sweat .That cam isn't near big enough and has wide lobe centers to be a problem .FWIW when I run a seawater equipped motor I let the motor take all the water it wants out of a three hundred gallon tank through 1 1/4" hose.You'd be surprised how quick it will empty the tank .If I were you I would stick the motor in and run your boat..JMO
Originally Posted by mike tkach
budman,if you dont have any water in the oil you are worried for nothing.unless your headers are leaking you should be good.reversion happens at idle more than at rpm so quit worring,put the engine in the boat and GO BOATING,i am 99% sure you will be ok.i have seen your cam specs and real reversion should not be an issue.
Old 06-03-2014, 07:08 PM
SB
Registered

Received 3,116 Likes on 1,403 Posts

It's true. Engine's in garage's revert more than in a boat.
Old 06-03-2014, 07:15 PM
Registered

Received 87 Likes on 49 Posts

there you go budman,you have been told from two wise men and my dumb azz.
Old 06-03-2014, 07:25 PM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Looks like 3 sages to me, go boatn and enjoy your creation you've earned it
Old 06-03-2014, 07:25 PM
SB
Registered

Received 3,116 Likes on 1,403 Posts

What the hell is this crap below ?

Slip on ? Not welded ?

And holes spraying straight down into exhaust stream ?

Huh ? I don't get why, Yuk !

Yeh, I finally looked at your pics. I'm kinda horrified.

Originally Posted by Budman II
Here are a couple of pictures of the divorced collectors. As you can see, they have 4 or 5 holes in the tip about 3/8", and one in the bottom for water to come out. I was watching it run and it looks like a waterfall coming out of there. Seems like too much water to me. Might try to post a video of it running when I get my boogered up spark plug hole fixed (another story... )

I'm wondering if anyone can tell me for sure that the 5 holes go on top. Might have to call Lightning.

Last edited by SB; 06-03-2014 at 07:27 PM.
Old 06-03-2014, 08:21 PM
Registered

Received 66 Likes on 38 Posts

Have you noticed any less water with the diverter closed and running through the Y pipe? If your Y pipe shutters are in good shape, it may very well help with your reversion. Shutters and flappers can have a check valve effect; allowing the engine to exhale while making it a little more difficult on the inhale(reversion). I'm only saying that this may lessen your reversion with your existing system. Any engine with valve overlap will have exhaust reversion, but I wouldn't think that your cam would be giving you big issues unless you have long idles through no wake zones. I wouldn't think your Lightnings would be contributing to your issue, BUT if you look at a CMI, the collector is dry and the water is plumbed into the tailpipe after a clever welded conical ring that looks to act as a dam as in the "turbulator" as found in the Merc 8.1 manifolds.
Old 06-03-2014, 08:33 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Have you checked your timing?
Old 06-03-2014, 09:24 PM
Registered

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Thanks for the replies, guys. It might come down to just running it and keeping an eye on the oil and the idle speed. Mike, I was idling it around 800 RPM most of the time. Might bump it up to 900 or so just to be safe, at least when not shifting. When I ran it for a little while last night, I looked up inside the collector and it was wet clear up to where the primaries connect to the collector. Now it did shut down on its own because I let the gas run out inadvertently, so it's possible that it took a big gulp while it sputtered to a stop. I had to quit for the night after I found a cross-threaded plug on the #7 cylinder (another long, sordid story). Still haven't been able to run it again until I deal with that.

I talked at length to Jan at Lightning, and he thinks I am pulling water in at the joint. These headers were originally designed for silent choice, but the slip in collectors are used for larger cams. He said to use silicon to seal that joint and see if that helps. He did not seem to think limiting water flow to the headers is an option, but many on here would disagree I am sure. SB, what modifications would you recommend on those collectors? I was seriously thinking about welding a bung on them to dump excess water and then close up a couple of those holes up on top. I agree that it does not seem like an optimal design to me, and I can't see where that much water out the exhaust is needed to cool the hoses and the tips.
Old 06-03-2014, 09:27 PM
Registered

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by excal27
Have you checked your timing?
Verified that timing is around 34*, with a 24* module and 10* initial timing. Guy at Lightning mentioned that some guys like to run more initial timing or even with timing locked all in to help with reversion. I have access to an HP500 20* module, which would allow me to bump up my initial timing. Would this help or hurt?
Old 06-03-2014, 09:36 PM
Registered

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

I think you are worrying to much ..Put the engine in..........don't overthink it

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.