Carb opinions 540's 700 hp... >

Carb opinions 540's 700 hp...

Notices

Carb opinions 540's 700 hp...

Old 03-20-2015, 09:40 AM
SB
Registered

Received 3,115 Likes on 1,402 Posts

MT - I apparently see you like quick fuel.

Have you tried any of this series of Marine carbs ? And if so, you're experiences ?

http://www.quickfueltechnology.com/c...marine-series/

I may try a few this year....if others have had good experiences.
Old 03-20-2015, 09:48 AM
Registered

Received 71 Likes on 39 Posts

Originally Posted by SB
MT - I apparently see you like quick fuel.

Have you tried any of this series of Marine carbs ? And if so, you're experiences ?

http://www.quickfueltechnology.com/c...marine-series/

I may try a few this year....if others have had good experiences.
I've only really played with their blower carbs. On 3 different blown engines on the dyno, they all were nearly spot on out of the box on the dyno. One was an 850hp build, one was a 1000hp build , last was a 1200hp build. Excellent metering.

I like the billet metering blocks and base plates, screw in bleeds, screw in pcvr restrictions, idle feeds, emulsion bleeds, 3 different linkage ratios included, just some nice features right out of the box and at a good price. I also like the proform main bodies and overall appearance and finish. My buddy had a pair of their marine 850s on his NA engines and they ran really nice too.

The new holley Ultra carbs are really nice too.
Old 03-20-2015, 10:30 AM
Registered

Received 278 Likes on 97 Posts

So let's worry about how the air flows in thru the fame arrestor but skimp on the carb.....

There are ways to modify the bottom of the hatch without blower scoops

Oh wait this is the first CIG to ever go through a build like this.....
Old 03-20-2015, 11:06 AM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Received 12 Likes on 6 Posts

I snuck into the local carb guys tool room and grabbed a couple pics of the tools of the trade. Doesn't matter which shop as anyone who knows the real scoop on this stuff knows they're all the same.

This is what I found:

The auger but on the right was marked, "for extreme measure only". Probably for all the bracket racing stuff.

Found this in a drawer labeled "choke horn removal tool" :

Huh, learn something every day. Who knew that that's all it takes to build and setup custom stuff?
Old 03-20-2015, 11:23 AM
Registered

I got some pics at home on my computer of some of the internal mods on these big money custom carbs. Modified 30 year old metering blocks, some mismatched boosters , mismatched floats, etc. Nice work for twice the cost as a NEW off the shelf holley.

Don't get me wrong vintage, I'm sure dale does nice work. I see he has a lot of fans and good feedback on the car forums. I personally don't need anyone to mod or tune the carb for me. I'd rather buy a carb I can tune on myself out on the water. I understand some guys like having the option to call someone and have them tune it for them.

What kind of mods were done to your carb from it being a stock holley? And why were they done?
Old 03-20-2015, 11:29 AM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Received 12 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by MILD THUNDER
I got some pics at home on my computer of some of the internal mods on these big money custom carbs. Modified 30 year old metering blocks, some mismatched boosters , mismatched floats, etc. Nice work for twice the cost as a NEW off the shelf holley.

Don't get me wrong vintage, I'm sure dale does nice work. I see he has a lot of fans and good feedback on the car forums. I personally don't need anyone to mod or tune the carb for me. I'd rather buy a carb I can tune on myself out on the water. I understand some guys like having the option to call someone and have them tune it for them.

What kind of mods were done to your carb from it being a stock holley? And why were they done?
Pretty sure he just hogged out everything.
Old 03-20-2015, 11:45 AM
Registered

Originally Posted by vintage chromoly
Pretty sure he just hogged out everything.
That's the answer I figured was coming. Good info.
Old 03-20-2015, 11:49 AM
Registered

Received 433 Likes on 193 Posts

Originally Posted by MILD THUNDER
More shelf 4150 junk...
So you're telling ,e I bought junk 850s on a big engine build (@ almost $4K)??? I am confused, what's wrong with them?

HEY TIM!!! Wanna buy some carbs....?
Old 03-20-2015, 11:51 AM
Registered

Received 43 Likes on 31 Posts

Originally Posted by vintage chromoly
I snuck into the local carb guys tool room and grabbed a couple pics of the tools of the trade. Doesn't matter which shop as anyone who knows the real scoop on this stuff knows they're all the same.

This is what I found:

The auger but on the
Found this in a drawer labeled "choke horn removal tool" :

Huh, learn something every day. Who knew that that's all it takes to build and setup custom stuff?
Love the wood bit! Guess its for a little main jet adjustment!
Old 03-20-2015, 11:51 AM
Registered

Originally Posted by frickstyle
So you're telling ,e I bought junk 850s on a big engine build (@ almost $4K)??? I am confused, what's wrong with them?

HEY TIM!!! Wanna buy some carbs....?
They'll never work right. You need "custom" carbs!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.