Engine developed "chirping" sound from stbd side exhaust

Notices

Engine developed "chirping" sound from stbd side exhaust

Old 07-28-2015, 09:03 AM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Received 204 Likes on 132 Posts

Originally Posted by Budman II
Force, it does sound a lot like that - but I can hear it with the hatch down, and it definitely seems to be coming from the starboard side. Can you hear yours under the hatch, or just in back of the boat?
Both, big cams will do that...
Old 07-28-2015, 09:05 AM
Gold Member
Gold Member

I appreciate all the replies! I am going to have to investigate this a little more thoroughly. RT930turbo has me a bit spooked - I would hate to wipe out an expensive cam and lifters on something like this. I'm going to run it on the hose and get a good close look at it, maybe even take a little video, listen around with a stethoscope, etc. Probably run a quick compression check at the minimum. If still not satisfied I'll pull the intake and have a look.

Full Force, come to think of it I was having some impeller issues, so probably not as much water was exiting the exhaust. I had smoked an impeller last year on the hose (did not overheat), and put in an aftermarket one that is not building goo water pressure. I was running between 5 - 7 PSI even at 3000 RPM over the weekend. Oil temp stayed at around 190* and water temp was around 150*, so no harm done, but it should be a lot higher than that. At idle it was barely reading on the gauge, although I could still see water coming out the exhaust.
Don't need a lot of water on hose at idle, I really think it's a normal sound with new power you didn't have before...I could be wrong but don't think so..
Old 07-28-2015, 09:06 AM
Registered

Received 21 Likes on 10 Posts

Hard to diagnose these over the web. Good luck, and let us know what you find!
Old 07-28-2015, 09:07 AM
Registered

Received 21 Likes on 10 Posts

Mine sounded like a tensioner squeak.
Old 07-28-2015, 09:17 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

my boat has the same noise.afr 265 heads.stock 454 mag short block.bob mandera cam.scorpion rockers.had morel roller lifters now has johnson roller lifters.stainless marine exhaust.didnt do it until i upgraded the engine.went so far as to pull the head back off mine found nothing.has been doing it for going on 3 seasons.if you guys figure it out let me know.haha
Old 07-28-2015, 09:21 AM
Registered

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

RT, mine doesn't really sound like a squeak so much. More like a ping or a chirp. Sounds a lot like Force's video. I just don't remember it being that prevalent last year, if I heard it at all. Part of my worries are the fact that I had fuel delivery issues at the end of last season and did not get my anticipated top speed on the one full throttle run I made all season. I'm afraid I leaned it out and possibly damaged something, hence my paranoia about any new sounds.

You guys are correct - impossible to diagnose via keyboards, as much fun as it is to conjecture. I definitely appreciate all the suggestions on things to check. Hopefully I can get it on the hose this afternoon.

It sure makes it even more fun to have the wife asking me "what's wrong with the boat this time?" every time I have the hatch up on it. I guess the next time she buys another pair of black shoes I'll have to ask her "what's wrong with the other 57 pairs of black shoes you have?" I'll probably have to go out and swipe an engine out of someone's Suburban if this thing goes south again.

Last edited by Budman II; 07-28-2015 at 06:30 PM. Reason: clean up after ten thumbs typing
Old 07-28-2015, 09:22 AM
Registered

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by hickle44
my boat has the same noise.afr 265 heads.stock 454 mag short block.bob mandera cam.scorpion rockers.had morel roller lifters now has johnson roller lifters.stainless marine exhaust.didnt do it until i upgraded the engine.went so far as to pull the head back off mine found nothing.has been doing it for going on 3 seasons.if you guys figure it out let me know.haha
Why did you switch to the Johnson lifters? Were you having problems with the Morels? Your setup is virtually identical to mine, with the exception of a stroker crank.
Old 07-28-2015, 09:55 AM
Registered

Received 127 Likes on 74 Posts

Originally Posted by Full Force
That is exactly what I have with mine. I do have a pretty aggressive cam and 10.6:1 CR with semi-dry exhaust.
Old 07-28-2015, 09:57 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

had a cam/lifter failure that was my mistake.went back to bob mandera for the exact same parts becuase my previous set up had exceeded my expectations.bob recommended the johnsons so i went with them.they both seem to be fine.havent made a full throttle pass on the motor yet.it does have some issues i didnt have before but i cant tell you if its related or not.
Old 07-28-2015, 10:05 AM
Gold Member
Gold Member

RT, mine doesn't really sound like a squeak so much. More like a ping or a chirp. Sounds a lot like the Force's video. I just don't remember it being that prevalent last year, if I hear it at all. Part of my worries are the fact that I had fuel delivery issues at the end of last season and did not get my anticipated top speed on the one full throttle run I made all season. I'm afraid I leaned it our and possibly damaged something, hence my paranoia about any new sounds.

You guys are correct - impossible to diagnose via keyboards, as much fun as it is to conjecture. I definitely appreciate all the suggestions on things to check. Hopefully I can get it on the hose this afternoon.

It sure makes it even more fun to have the wife asking me "what's wrong with the boat this time?" every time I have the hatch up on it. I guess the next time she buys another pair of black shoes I'll have to ask her "what's wrong with the other 57 pairs of black shoes you have?" I'll probably have to go out and swipe an engine out of someone's Suburban if this thing goes south again.
What do plugs look like? I didn't hit my speeds expected either but no issues with engines wrong powerband... I bet the noise is cams and no issues...

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.