Engine Quest Head work results

Old 03-08-2016, 08:15 PM
SB
Registered

Received 3,115 Likes on 1,402 Posts

Originally Posted by horsepower1
China.
Really ? Damn. Got info on this ?

Some years ago I investigated and found they where being made at Masport Foundry in New Zealand.
Their website still shows this: http://www.masportfoundries.co.nz/head.html
And thus why I'd like to know if really now casted in China.

Masport Foundries Ltd make a range of V8 and V6 performance cylinder heads, in partnership with CompCams, which are sold under the RHS brand in the USA. In addition, Masport Foundries Ltd make a range of performance parts for other independent customers in both Australia and USA

Last edited by SB; 03-08-2016 at 08:19 PM.
Old 03-08-2016, 08:16 PM
Registered

Received 71 Likes on 39 Posts

Mine came masport boxes.
Old 03-08-2016, 08:27 PM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by SB
Really ? Damn. Got info on this ?

Some years ago I investigated and found they where being made at Masport Foundry in New Zealand.
Their website still shows this: http://www.masportfoundries.co.nz/head.html
And thus why I'd like to know if really now casted in China.
Yes. A few years ago a friend won a raffle and the prize was a set of brand new RHS320 heads. They came direct from Comp Cams. I bought them from him, bare, and teh valve jobs were so bad on both heads I decided to contact RHS to see about getting them replaced. It took being persistent but they finally agreed. They were out of stock at the time so they had a pair sent to me direct from the machine shop which was Royal Oak Boring in Oxford MI. I still have the shipping receipt. It says under part name "BBC Pro Action China Head".
What sucked was the replacements were no better than the ones I had replaced.
Old 03-08-2016, 08:30 PM
SB
Registered

Received 3,115 Likes on 1,402 Posts

yes. A few years ago a friend won a raffle and the prize was a set of brand new rhs320 heads. They came direct from comp cams. I bought them from him, bare, and teh valve jobs were so bad on both heads i decided to contact rhs to see about getting them replaced. It took being persistent but they finally agreed. They were out of stock at the time so they had a pair sent to me direct from the machine shop which was royal oak boring in oxford mi. I still have the shipping receipt. It says under part name "bbc pro action china head".
What sucked was the replacements were no better than the ones i had replaced.
fuk.
Old 03-11-2016, 08:36 AM
Geronimo36
Gold Member

Received 131 Likes on 36 Posts

Originally Posted by MILD THUNDER
Mine came masport boxes.
What did you and your head guy think of the rectangle shaped exhaust ports?

Our heads are going to the machine shop to check/adjust the exhaust guide clearance a little. I must say, I was impressed with the port design of the EQ heads. I was a little thrown off by the rectangle exhaust port shape as I just expected it to be a D shape but overall they looked like a very good as/cast design to me.
Old 03-11-2016, 01:12 PM
Banned

That ex port comes from the old Pro Topline design, and even Dart back in the day had the same ex port.
Old 03-11-2016, 01:15 PM
Geronimo36
Gold Member

Received 131 Likes on 36 Posts

That ex port comes from the old Pro Topline design, and even Dart back in the day had the same ex port.
Any advantage to that shape vs a D shape?
Old 03-11-2016, 04:33 PM
Banned

Those are good numbers. Back cut on the intake makes a huge difference in low lift numbers. I have a new set of EQ 320's here that I'm doing a valve job and blower marine prep. Staying with the 2.25 valve and not doing any porting. I may throw them on the flow bench just to see how they compare.
Here's the numbers off my bench. These have REV inconel ex and I used some (new) AFR 2.25 intake valves left over from another set of heads. The AFR valves have a wide 30* back cut. The guide work on the heads was disappointing and if I had my choice I would have replaced all the intake guides. As it was, that would have opened another whole can of worms so we decided to do the best we could with the existing guides. The heads got a fresh valve job to make sure everything was concentric and the ex got a slightly wider seat for the blower app. For an as-cast, out of the box set of heads I'm pretty impressed with the numbers. Very strong ex port (flowed with a pipe). The "good" intake port (#3) got turbulent past .700 lift which this particular head is known for and not unusual for a smaller port like this. They pretty much all do it.

For Mild Thunder's comparison:

Last edited by horsepower1; 03-11-2016 at 04:40 PM.
Old 03-11-2016, 04:35 PM
Banned

Any advantage to that shape vs a D shape?
Not really. Eventually they need opening up on bigger engines. Just an area issue but they flow just fine FWIW.

Last edited by horsepower1; 03-11-2016 at 04:38 PM.
Old 03-11-2016, 10:37 PM
Registered

Received 1,206 Likes on 579 Posts

Great #'s Joe!
It must be porting season, because there is a bunch of them at the shop.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.