High performance piston rings

Notices

High performance piston rings

Old 04-29-2016, 05:09 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by getrdunn
Thanks guys. Some good input here. I see pros and cons. I suppose whatever we tend to have good luck with we tend to stay with. Ive been building engines for 30 plus years and never used them. That's not say there a great ring however I just haven't. That's why I started the thread to get a little education on such and appreciate the input. Interesting... Responses. I've always used the plasma moly also. My only issue with them is seating time. That could be my fault from excessive oil on the cylinders though prior to assm. I've done a few with wd 40 and seated quicker however just don't like to do that. Good bad indifferent.
That's odd for a moly ring not to seal same machinist for all motors? Always seal fast. The steel rings take a bit. My engines with zero gap top picked up about 10hp per pull for 3or4 pulls on break in.

Last edited by 14 apache; 04-29-2016 at 07:22 PM.
Old 04-29-2016, 05:11 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Originally Posted by MILD THUNDER
Total seal ring company the leader in piston rings? I'd find that hard to believe.

Mahle Corporation, supplies General motors, Ford, Chrysler, BMW , Ferrari, Toyota, Audi, Harley Davidson, and over 100 other engine manufactures with rings. Just their "Aftermarket division" , had over 900 million in gross sales. Employs 1700 people, and has 23 plants around the world.

Total seal? under 50 employees, under 10 million in gross sales, 1 location in arizona.

I'm not Donald Trump, but I'd like to think, Mahle might know a little something about piston ring design , if companies like GM, FORD, Ferrari, Audi, and BMW, are going to them for piston rings.
Ya but do they give you beer at the PRI show
Old 04-29-2016, 05:57 PM
SB
Registered

Received 3,117 Likes on 1,403 Posts

Devil's advocate just because: Takata should know more about Airbag's. LOL.
This is how big they are: http://www.takata.com/ir/ir_pdf/140924ar_en.pdf
Old 04-29-2016, 07:26 PM
Registered

Received 71 Likes on 39 Posts

Originally Posted by 14 apache
Ya but do they give you beer at the PRI show
I heard that if you have 7 percent less leakdown on the gauge per cylinder, you multiply that by 8 cylinders. You then gain 56% more horsepower, because your engine is now sealing 56 percent better.

Or is it you gain 56psi of cranking psi from installing them? Or 56hp? Or 5.6HP? Or 5.6" inches of vacuum? Dammit, I can't remember. They're just more gooder. Where's the beer.
Old 04-29-2016, 07:43 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Originally Posted by MILD THUNDER
I heard that if you have 7 percent less leakdown on the gauge per cylinder, you multiply that by 8 cylinders. You then gain 56% more horsepower, because your engine is now sealing 56 percent better.

Or is it you gain 56psi of cranking psi from installing them? Or 56hp? Or 5.6HP? Or 5.6" inches of vacuum? Dammit, I can't remember. They're just more gooder. Where's the beer.
You should do the pri show close to your neck of the woods. Some very cool stuff and free beer at 6pm served by gorges girls. Lot of fun. As far as gapless or gap rings my turds will pull over 25" vacuum on dyno.
BEER IN HAND!
Old 04-29-2016, 07:43 PM
Registered

Received 1,493 Likes on 807 Posts

That's odd for a moly ring not to seal same machinist for all motors? Always seal fast. The steel rings take a bit. My engines with zero gap top picked up about 10hp per pull for 3or4 pulls on break in.
Just had a thought that never dawned on me til now but last engine dyno'd we used sythetic. Ran into same issue a couple times before and typically would dyno with lighter weight conventional oil. Not saying for certain however anyone ever have same or similar with Molly rings? i believe it's certainly a possibility...
Old 04-29-2016, 07:50 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Originally Posted by getrdunn
Just had a thought that never dawned on me til now but last engine dyno'd we used sythetic. Ran into same issue a couple times before and typically would dyno with lighter weight conventional oil. Not saying for certain however anyone ever have same or similar with Molly rings? i believe it's certainly a possibility...
Synthetic could be a problem. What was the symptoms blow by?
Did you use a torque plate?
Old 04-29-2016, 07:50 PM
Registered

Received 1,493 Likes on 807 Posts

Forget all this chit.. ICDEDPPL avitar went from 5 to 9.
Old 04-29-2016, 08:24 PM
Registered

Received 71 Likes on 39 Posts

You should do the pri show close to your neck of the woods. Some very cool stuff and free beer at 6pm served by gorges girls. Lot of fun. As far as gapless or gap rings my turds will pull over 25" vacuum on dyno.
BEER IN HAND!
I wanted to go this past year, but out of fear for my own safety, I decided to stay home under the blankets.

Maybe this year I can get Icdedppl to come with me. We can be the oso outcasts' having dinner and drinks by ourselves, wearing fake mustaches , as we are disliked by many here, and would not want to be spotted and hit by a flying set of lifters thrown from the crowd!

I can see it now. Him and I walking around, and someone shouting "hey, theres' those two azzholes who are ruining offshoreonly!"
Old 04-29-2016, 08:31 PM
Registered

Received 53 Likes on 30 Posts

Originally Posted by Black Baja
The motor wasn't honed properly. It's probably down 20-30 horsepower than what it could be with the proper finish on the cylinder walls.
yep.. likely so.. It only made 1020 hp.. Gotta keep the power down somehow to get my Bravo to live..

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.