High performance piston rings >

High performance piston rings

Notices

High performance piston rings

Old 04-29-2016, 11:34 AM
Registered

Received 4,326 Likes on 1,241 Posts

Originally Posted by mike tkach
also want to mention that an engine with an overly rich tune up can ruin the ring seal on any brand of rings.often a person will blame the brand or type of ring for a failure when the tune up was the culprit.
So wait a brand new build running around with primary and secondary power valves and AFRs below 9 (afr meter doesn't register any lower) isn't good? You must be joking. Blow by, oil usage, and cylinders that have a mirror look cause all the cross hatch is gone was the latest rage I thought
Old 04-29-2016, 12:12 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Is your avatar a butt??? It's kinda freaking me out!

Originally Posted by ICDEDPPL
So wait a brand new build running around with primary and secondary power valves and AFRs below 9 (afr meter doesn't register any lower) isn't good? You must be joking. Blow by, oil usage, and cylinders that have a mirror look cause all the cross hatch is gone was the latest rage I thought
Old 04-29-2016, 12:30 PM
Registered

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Boatally Insane
FWIW..
I used a Total Seal AP conventional set in my build..

Don't have it running in the boat yet but ran fine on the dyno..

Had a little bit of visible blowby out the breathers but I do have fairly wide end gaps for the blower..
The motor wasn't honed properly. It's probably down 20-30 horsepower than what it could be with the proper finish on the cylinder walls.
Old 04-29-2016, 02:10 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

My thoughts on zero gap is the ring pack will get loaded up with oil needs a little blow by to push the oil down where it belongs. And I have run them but I would not any more did not like them. Gap rings work perfect and they use less oil and the pistons and chambers look cleaner. Plasma moly for me.
Old 04-29-2016, 02:35 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

avatar is good , lets just put it that way . Why are you so worried bout it ?
Old 04-29-2016, 03:52 PM
Registered

Received 1,493 Likes on 807 Posts

Originally Posted by hotrodford
avatar is good , lets just put it that way . Why are you so worried bout it ?
Don't think he's worried about rather just had to take a second glance to confirm what it was. An azz with a cam holder or set of A set of clown tits. Either way it's all good. Lol

Last edited by getrdunn; 04-29-2016 at 03:55 PM.
Old 04-29-2016, 04:11 PM
Registered

Received 1,493 Likes on 807 Posts

Originally Posted by 14 apache
My thoughts on zero gap is the ring pack will get loaded up with oil needs a little blow by to push the oil down where it belongs. And I have run them but I would not any more did not like them. Gap rings work perfect and they use less oil and the pistons and chambers look cleaner. Plasma moly for me.
Thanks guys. Some good input here. I see pros and cons. I suppose whatever we tend to have good luck with we tend to stay with. Ive been building engines for 30 plus years and never used them. That's not say there a great ring however I just haven't. That's why I started the thread to get a little education on such and appreciate the input. Interesting... Responses. I've always used the plasma moly also. My only issue with them is seating time. That could be my fault from excessive oil on the cylinders though prior to assm. I've done a few with wd 40 and seated quicker however just don't like to do that. Good bad indifferent.
Old 04-29-2016, 04:42 PM
Registered

Stick with what`s worked for ya. I did the research and went standard moly
0 gap seems to be the feel good ring gap when you leakdown. At twice the price that doesn`t make me feel good.
Old 04-29-2016, 04:45 PM
Registered

<<<<<<
Is that better Todd?

Old 04-29-2016, 05:08 PM
Registered

Received 71 Likes on 39 Posts

Total seal ring company the leader in piston rings? I'd find that hard to believe.

Mahle Corporation, supplies General motors, Ford, Chrysler, BMW , Ferrari, Toyota, Audi, Harley Davidson, and over 100 other engine manufactures with rings. Just their "Aftermarket division" , had over 900 million in gross sales. Employs 1700 people, and has 23 plants around the world. over 100 production locations and 7 research and development centers.

Total seal? under 50 employees, under 10 million in gross sales, 1 location in arizona.

I'm not Donald Trump, but I'd like to think, Mahle might know a little something about piston ring design , if companies like GM, FORD, Ferrari, Audi, and BMW, are going to them for piston rings.

Last edited by MILD THUNDER; 04-29-2016 at 05:11 PM.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.